I need an outdoor cover

Jacques Ollivier

New member
Joined
Jun 30, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Thorp
C Dory Year
2009
C Dory Model
22 Cruiser
I recently purchased a 2009 highroof 22 Cruiser. It will be a while before I can get it stored inside. I need to purchase a good outdoor cover for it. The companies that I’ve looked up so far don’t list C Dory’s as an option. I’m in Central Washington State. Does anyone have a good recommendation or maybe even a used cover for sale?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
Angola Canvas Here has the patterns, and will make any modifications you wish. I would have them add 12 more all around the sides to be sure and cover the strips and decals.
 
I have bought my boat covers from Amazon. Search for T top boat covers for 22-24ft boats. These have worked well for me, but they don't last more than 3 years because I park my boat under a Doug Fir and the sap starts covering them. At this price the cover can be considered "disposable." To provide better rain runoff, I put an additional support (a 3 legged stool) just forward of the hatch.

1783541276684.png
 

Attachments

  • 1783541166790.png
    1783541166790.png
    492.3 KB · Views: 4
I had a cover made by Angola Canvas. I had the sides extended 3' to reach down to the trailer fenders.
 
Another rec for Angola.

I have been in contact with Richard and Stella at Angola recently (like two weeks ago) and they seem like the real deal best answers. They knew my boat, and knew what questions to ask to customize to fit, etc. I have not made my order yet, but I am gonna.
 
For those using the Angola covers, do you need to add a stiffener / support over the cockpit to prevent water pooling (/ resist snow weight) like when using a tarp?

Also, what do you do with your motor? Is that covered by the Angola cover as well?

Do the covers have (or need) air vents like shrink wrap does?

Thank you.
 
You can get the Angola cover with the motor cover (covers the top half of the motor) attached or separate. Mine is attached. This and the tie downs at the back hold my cover taut enough that pooling and sagging is not really an issue. Yes, snow will build up on the back, but it mets and runs off.

The Angola cover does not adhere tightly like shrink wrap, there are enough air gaps that vents are not required.

If you just have the stock cover, it ends about the rub rail. There are some loops for tying for securing it. I had my cover extended down the sides. Whill Angola did put in some metal grommets at the bottom edge for tie downs, I added some more to better secure the cover. The tie downs are secured to the trailer for the most part.
 
Pictures of my Angola cover on my boat. The white ropes that tie the cover to the trailer were added by me. The unmodified cover ends where the black tie down loops are located. Initially I had them add 18 inches to the sides. After trying the cover on, I sent it back to have another 18 inches added (you can see the seams). Angola had no problem doing this. The light colored stiching shows where the reinforcements are for protrusions and corners on the boat. Yes, the cover could use a cleaning.
Cover_side_sm.jpg

cover_back_sm.jpg
 
Last edited:
Pictures of my Angola cover on my boat. The white ropes that tie the cover to the trailer were added by me. The unmodified cover ends where the black tie down loops are located. Initially I had them add 18 inches to the sides. After trying the cover on, I sent it back to have another 18 inches added (you can see the seams). Angola had no problem doing this. The light colored stiching shows where the reinforcements are for protrusions and corners on the boat. Yes, the cover could use a cleaning.
View attachment 131435

View attachment 131436
Picture’s worth a thousand words; thank you. How well do you suppose that would hold a few feet of snow without a frame (or stool etc)? They’ve started hauling out around here (RI, it’s not like we’re Alaska but the marinas are emptying), so covers are on my mind. It was over a grand to shrink wrap last year, I don’t want to do that again.
 
I'm in SW Mi close to the lake, so we get some snow here. However, it's not multiple feet at a time. A good snow storm might get 1 foot. A fair amount of that will melt before the next snowfall. The other thing is how much of the snow actually builds up on the boat due to the slope and wind. It's not something I worry about.
My cover was about $1200 all in when I bought it in 2016. It is probably more now, but as you can see it is in pretty good shape for being 10 years old. A lot cheaper the shrink wrap and it can be used over and over all year round. In my case it would have been a little cheaper to get it right the first time, rather than send it back and forth (extensions were added after the initial fitting).
 
I’ve had two Angola covers. Both Sunbrella. First one lasted 10 years. Material was still fine, albeit dirty/mildew from PNW winters, but the stitching gave out. When I ordered the next one, I paid extra for Tenara thread to be used (Dr Bob’s advice). It’s still going strong. Quality is good. Cost was fair. Fit is spot on.
 
Forgot to mention, you may want to talk with whoever makes it regarding materials they recommend. I went with Sunbrella because I was more concerned with the material’s ability to breathe vs snow load. We get more rain than snow in the Puget Sound. But Sunbrella stretches under load, so a big snow requires me to sweep the snow off. Folks that live in snowy areas may need a different approach.
 
In the interest of "the boat cost me a lot of money this year already", I decided to punt on a nice / "real" cover and try Tom's disposable Amazon cover idea. I started looking for a compromise between the two, and found some in the $500 to $1000 range that ought to be close enough, but that's too much money for not actually being custom fit. I checked websites of local stores, Tractor Supply (note there, they sell Sealskin covers but not the full lifetime warranty sturdy $500+ ones, they're the 600D lightweight 1-year warranty ones), and top internet hits, but just decided to go cheaper but not down to tarp cheap. 1-day shipping is always a plus, too-- it arrives tomorrow. Compared to shrinkwrapping up here, it's already saved me money if it makes it to spring. I checked my last winter invoice (first time shrinkwrapping) and it was $19.50 a foot for a total of $429.

I waded through the dozens of "is this just the same cover being sold by a different fake brand" covers-- and there are differences-- and believe this will be one of the better ones out there. I opted for 23-25 feet (T-Top), as having a bit extra is easier to deal with than a bit less, especially if I'm adding a frame or support underneath. If it was just for "get it tight" warm weather storage, I might stick with Tom's 22-24' size suggestion.

No affiliation, just sharing for the forum if anyone is also thinking about it. When I do get around to putting it on, I'll upload pictures of it on my 2005 22 Cruiser.


1790735742736.png

1790735817746.png
1790735837499.png
1790736074199.png
 
Hey Bob. Hope all is well. Have you towed over the years with your boats covered and if not have you had many issues with rocks and/or road debris mucking up the boat gelcoat?

Paul/Sáinte (formerly SEA3PO)
 
I tow my boat uncovered and so far the only thing that happened was a blob of grease hit the hull once. The tow vehicle provides a barrier to lots of things flying up from the road.
IME, dock rash is a bigger cause of gelcoat damage than anything else.
 
For $429 for one year of shrink wrap you'd have an Angola custom cover paid off in 3 years and probably get another 7 years plus out of it, based on my experience with Angola. I believe the last cover I bought was $1200 and that's for a 25 AND using Tenara thread, which added to the cost.
 
Hey Bob. Hope all is well. Have you towed over the years with your boats covered and if not have you had many issues with rocks and/or road debris mucking up the boat gelcoat?
Thank you for the question. I have never towed my boats with a full cover in place on the road. I have towed with the slant back over the cockpit, and that works fine. I have also towed with the pilot house windows covered with canvas.

I have never sustained major hull damage from rocks etc. However I often use a mesh between the full width of the towing vehicle and the boat trailer, aft to where the "A" of the trailer frame begins to flair out. I have PVC conduit pipe in the "skirt near where it attatches, about half way in the mesh and all of the way aft. I used this same trick when towing cars behind our RV, to avoid broken headlights and dings to the front of the car. Especially on the AlCan highway--I also had hardware cloth over all vehices head lights, and grills to prevent gravel from being thrown up and damaging the towed vehicle.
 
Back
Top