Hurricane Iaisia

thataway

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
21,932
Reaction score
279
C Dory Year
2007
C Dory Model
25 Cruiser
Hull Identification Number
DOR25652A707
Vessel Name
thataway
I want to thank the several C-Brats who offered us help before and after Hurricane Iasia hit. We had no wind damage and no damaging storm surge. 8 miles away, on the other side of Pensacola and on Bayou Chico, the story was entirely different, with a friend loosing both of her cars and the carport to a tree which fell. (She and her diseased husband were C Dory owners.).

We were on the Western upper quadrant, known as the "Navigable" or "safe" quadrant of a hurricane. We only saw about 60 mph of wind sustained, gusts to 100 mph and minimal storm surge. In past storms we have seen as much as 130 mph winds and storm surge of 11 feet.

The friendships made through the C Dory gatherings make lasting and deep friendships. Another real advantage of our little trailerable trawlers.
 
Glad to hear that you and your's, at least, came through OK. My sisters in Ocala had a bit of rain and wind, but live in a modern home built for this, and on higher ground. I guess that living in the Gulf area with hurricanes is a bit like living with earthquakes here in Puget Sound.
 
Glad to hear you and Marie came through this OK. I thought we were done with hurricane prep when we moved away from the Tropical Tip on the Texas Gulf Coast. Tropical Storm Rachel is going through Baja, heading towards us. The desert dwellers here in Arizona don't seem to take it too serious. We put away anything that could become a missile - the first of the gust fronts hit while I'm typing this. The locals might call this another haboob - I recognize the outer bands and the wind direction. The rain will be following soon. Storm surge isn't a thing here, but flash floods where the hard desert ground can't absorb the rain can be a hazard.

Yesterday was 102º - the weather weasels are saying that will be the "last of the 100º+ days"... we'll see.

Here comes the rain. If I had any hatches, I'd be battening them down.
 
Back
Top