View previous topic :: View next topic  
russoboat

City/Region: Southampton, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Porgy Man
Photos: Porgy Man
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Sprint/400 windlass Reply with quote

Need to know if I can install 1/2" 8-plait rodes with 5/16" shackle on a Sprint/400 windlass

My existing rodes is twisting and fails to rewind sometimes, I'm in saltwater 7-months of the year.

This is my first windlass I did not know the proper storing on it last winter, I know now that I need to wash it down.

I've purchase a new swivel as I've seen from some of your posting, now I want to replace my 3-strand rope.

I have a 16' Angler
Old Jim

City/Region: Chicago
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do some research on anchoring and anchor rodes before switching to braided rope for your rode.

Three strand is more elastic and serves as a shock absorber when anchored when the wave action kicks up a bit. That helps prevent the boat from snapping and also aids in keeping the anchor from pulling out.

You don't say if you are using any chain on your rode but if your are, the prevailing wisdom seems to say you need to have your rope spliced to the chain rather than attached with a shackle so that the winch doesn't hang up on the shackle. However, that method of attachment is more subject to chafe and needs to be inspected regularly.

There are threads here on how to deal with twisting anchor rodes. Find them by doing a search. Two things that we did to eliminate that problem on our sailboat were to, first, completely uncoil the entire rode and then feed it into the anchor locker so that it laid in naturally and came out the same way when deploying the anchor. The second thing was to stop retrieving the rode for a short time just before the chain began to come out of the water. That allows the anchor to twist around and unwind any kinks that may have developed.

Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally three strands work better with these "self tailing" windlasses. Some rodes are stiffer, and work better. I have personally not had any problem with rope/chain and have used then on and off for about 25 years.

You cannot pass a 5/16" shackle thru the windlass gypsy--only 1/4" HT chain and 1/2" line or 7/16" line is recommended. A 5/16" shackle directly to the anchor is probably OK. I tend to find High test shackles, since they are the weakest link.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, the stiffer New England Ropes Premium 3-strand nylon anchor line works the best in most windlasses (Gratituous Generality!).

Your Sprint 400 has a plastic gypsy. When it seems to slip on the rope a lot and a change in rope doesn't help, you may need to replace the gypsy. The sharpness of the "teeth" is lost. Ones that are made of metal last much longer (like on the Sprint 600).

Windlasses can be a PITA, but once you get all of the components working together, viola! (sp?)

Good Luck!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Sprint 600 Reply with quote

I just replaced the sprint 400 with the Sprint 600 (bought on E-bay) on my 24 TomCat. So far I'm real happy with the performance and we've used it 4-5 times in the 1 1/2 weeks since I've installed it. (letting out 600' of line on one anchoring) The down side is that you have to change over to bigger wire. (Bought that cheap on E-bay, marine grade too, even installed battery lugs for me.)

I run around 650' of 3-strand line. When I changed windlasses I thought the first 150' ft of line was a little bit ratty, so I completely changed the rope ends and braided the chain to the end that was formerly the bitter end in the rope locker, work great, looks good.

By the way the Srpint 600 has the EXACT same footprint as the Sprint 400, (verified by the factory) so no new holes.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: