journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my experience with a Lewmar 600: Lewmar V700 Gospel, and more discussion on the Lewmar V700 Installation .

I'd seriously think about a horizontal windlass. Nothing against Lewmar, but the horizontal has a better configuration to resist dirt entering the gearbox. As described, the V600 lasted for 5 years for use, but I would expect a horizontal windlass to never wear out.

The advice is free, but getting it cost $700.

Boris
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of info on windlasses thanks everyone. I decided to fit a Lewmar Pro Series 700H. Horizontal to maybe avoid failing seal issues and keep the motor above deck dry and leave the locker for rode. I was thinking I would need to locate a relay as Joe and Bob suggest to keep loads off the toggle. I was pleasantly surprised to find in the box a "contactor". Lewmar speak for dual direction relay. Also the toggle is now a micro switch with Up at the top and Down at the bottom. Nice fix as Barry pointed out it used to be opposite. It appears Lewmar has been listening. The windlass looks to be major overkill for a small boat but it looks sweet. Will post as I go along. The contactor is behind the helm with the other electrics so is easy to reach and work on. The breaker (flush mount) is in the starboard lazarette near the batteries and with the main breaker. Toggle switch is a protected recessed rocker style and is located on the panel to the left of the trim switch. So it is behind the wheel high enough to be able to sit normally and use power lever and helm and see the windlass. I plan to mark the chain at about 5 feet so I know where to stop lifting and go forward to clear mud and goo and stow the anchor. Then snug it up from the helm. Fun project. Believe it or not from the start battery on the floor in between fuel tanks across to the lazarette bulkhead and up starboard to the helm and then through the bulkhead used the 30 feet each of red and black 6 gauge I bought. Today I cut the 3 inch hole and mounting holes and will dremel undercut and epoxy fill. Tomorrow mount backing plate and bed. More to follow. CoolSmile George
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very good, and well thought out! You will enjoy that windlass. I have put in several of the 700 H, and they have served me well. Now if I had only been smart enough to put in some type of windlass in 1962 when I purchased my first ocean going boat---It might have saved me one back surgery and multiple procedures. Far cheaper to have the Windlass!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! Got all holes drilled and undercut borrowed a dremel off my buddy Ross (Pacific Wanderer) and epoxied. Temporarily hooked windlass wires up to dry test system. Closed the breaker pushed Up and the gypsy rotated aft. Pushed Down and it rotated forward. Perfect! Tomorrow redrill the holes, bed and wire completion and tidy up. Presto one windlass. fun job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: