THANK YOU DR. BOB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU DR. BOB Reply with quote

One of our most prolific members - 'Thataway' has just passed the 20,000 post mark. That is quit an accomplishment for anybody on any forum. Even with his age and health problems as well as Marie,s recent health problems he continues to share his knowledge and experience with us less experienced seafarers. The more I learn about boats the more humbled I become realizing how little I really know.

In addition to this he has generously offered Cbrats travelling through his area a place to camp if they wished to stop by for a visit.

Thank you Bob and all others who make this place special. I think probably Marty says it best - 'gotta love this place' Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

Rob

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but to second that. Can't say enough about the Austin crew so I won't even try. Thank you Bob and Marie, wishing you all the best!

James

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Marie are the very best of what the C-Brats is all about: friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable. Caring and sharing. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Jim & Joan
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Dr. Bob……over 20,000 posts! Thanks for all the knowledge that you have passed on to “Brats” like us. Stay well and I trust you’ll be at Hontoon to pass on more wisdom on all things C-Dory next March.
God bless….
Tom and Joyce

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news… Such a wonderful man, with a wealth of knowledge, that he freely shared, with everyone.
I now wonder, how many other groups, has he done the same for. He will be missed by many and never forgotten, because of his contributions.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misunderstood the 1st post and publicly admit to screwing up. Sorry to all and specially to Dr. Bob.
Dr. Bob, you are the best!
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been learning from his knowledge on at least two sites—this one and The Hull Truth—for a good long time. Such generosity of expertise here. He's not the only one, either, but he sure sets the bar high.
Esmi2

City/Region: San Luis Obispo, CA
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Yes, thank you Dr Bob Reply with quote

As a checker of this board multiple times daily (tho an infrequent poster), I get a ton of value from Bob’s thoughtful, experienced and measured posts on everything C-dory. Thank you.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you for all of the kind words. I am still kicking, and hope that recent stents will give me another 5 or so years.

I have been so blessed, in boating, where I had advice and mentoring from some fantastic individuals, including my very strict father. (Who had enough confidence in his teaching to allow me at age 14 to skipper his 26' sail boat in ocean races, with his adult crew, when he had to travel.).

Later in life I had the skills to undertake two 40,000 mile voyages in motor sailers. Those skills came from those I had sailed with early in life. I knew the founders of Seven Seas Cruising Association, and several early recreational voyagers, including Harry Pigeon, who was the second man to solo circumnavigate.

I also have to thank both Boy and Girl Scouting. My mother kept on me to get that final "Bird Watching" merit badge for Eagle Scout (and give me a passion for that subject later in life), but for also starting me on a path of teaching to younger scouts, and also to Girl Scouts. I was maintenance man at a Girl Scout camp for 5 summers. I had a chance to teach water safety, rowing, sailing, kayaking and canoeing, as well as acting as their transport driver and life guard when at lakes away from Camp. Even as I went about my daily chores there were opportunities to teach the campers.

In Medicine I had wonderful opportunities to teach, first in my residency training and then as an assistant Prof. at UCLA Med School. The Draft and my decision not to pursue a career in research brought me to clinical private practice, with one day a week dedicated to teaching as a clinical professor at UCLA affiliated Hospitals. My last job was for Cal State Long Beach, as "Director of Athletic Medicine"--and involved setting up a fellowship for family practice residents as well as teaching in the undergraduate athletic training program. I probably spent as much time counseling students as I did practicing medicine, but that is very important, especially for athletes, who often don't see beyond the next competition.

After retirement and the advent of the internet, I was blessed to spend a few years both giving lectures on our travels, and Medicine at Sea, as well as Anchoring, Storm tactics, etc at West Marine Trawler Fests.

I saw my first C Dory in 1982, and was so impressed, that I said I would buy one of those when I got too old to sail. That started me on the path of C Dory ownership in the 2003 era.

I need to thank all of you. I learn from every post I read here. We have a number of very skilled and accomplished boaters. We also have a wonderful extended family. Being part of that family is a major reward in itself. If you are a C Dory owner and don't take part in the gatherings, you miss out on a lot of what C Dory's are about.

A special thanks to TyBoo and Da Nag For hosting this internet forum and making it one of the best in all of boating related forums. Please donate to the site and help fund keeping this forum running smoothly.

Thank you!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
Sad news… Such a wonderful man, with a wealth of knowledge, that he freely shared, with everyone.
I now wonder, how many other groups, has he done the same for. He will be missed by many and never forgotten, because of his contributions.

When I read, "One of our most prolific members - 'Thataway' has just passed..." my heart sunk too. Probably could have been worded a bit differently!
multimediasmith

City/Region: New Orleans' Northshore
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: ENDEAVOR
Photos: ENDEAVOR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:

johnr wrote:
When I read, "One of our most prolific members - 'Thataway' has just passed..." my heart sunk too. Probably could have been worded a bit differently!

Wasn't it Samuel Clemens who said something to the effect "news of my demise has been greatly exaggerated"

Dr.Bob,
Congrats for the 20K post mark and mostly THANK YOU for your generous contribution to the knowledge base. I have enjoyed reading within the archives for the past years. You are always there... offering the benefit of your experience and constant research. Most of the information (in contrast to most data) is of a timeless nature... the laws of physics don't really change ... water... wind... clever engineering solutions to boat practicality...

ending with another quote about "nothing better than messing with boats" Your posts have helped more than you can know.

Thanks to you both for your warm hospitality when I picked up my boat in Pensacola. Hope to see you again at Hontoon in '23.

Best
Dale
lori watson

City/Region: Greenough
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

My husband and I are quite familiar with rafts, canoes, and small fishing boats. When we moved from Montana to the Puget Sound area from Montana, we were lucky enough to purchase a C-Dory. I have always been so thankful for the correspondence I have had with Bob Austin and the insight he has given us into these wonderful boats.
pbahn

City/Region: Modesto
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sláinte
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen and thank you Dr Bob!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20,000 posts and maybe 70 x that number for those who have benefited from your contribution to C-Brats. Thank you Dr. Bob. Thumbs Up
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob, I enjoy reading your responses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: