View previous topic :: View next topic  
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: 2008 C-Dory 28 ft Diesel Reply with quote

Not my boat or any relation to the seller, but found this interesting. I think it was an answer to one of the trivia questions at the 2022 Friday Harbor gathering.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/blaine-2008-dory-28-ft-diesel/7505522739.html

Was this the only inboard model C-Dory made?

- tom
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Bow and stern thruster... Reply with quote

I wish I had a bow thruster on my 25.

When it is windy down here in the Delta (notice those windmills by Pittsburg/Rio Vista?), docking is "interesting". Once the wind comes across the bow, the bow falls off very very quickly. That is one of the major problems with the c-dory bottom - doesn't grip at all. I had an albin trawler (36 express) with a single diesal and bow thruster - once you learned to back and fill on a single you could get anywhere. And the keel held the boat firm on course even in very high winds.

Not a fan of inboards myself though....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has also been called a Venture 29. There were some diesel I/O in the 26/27 foot boats back in the earlier models. There are not many of the 28/29's. The Naval Architect who designed the boat came onto the forum and suggested that there were some tunnel modifications which would help the boat.

Here is the designer's comments on the tunnel modifcations he felt were necessary

Anyone interested in the design should read these posts. I believe that only 3 of the 29's were made.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link Bob. Good read. I'm very interested in this boat. Emailed the seller, no response yet but will keep you all posted.

If anyone has any other info good or bad. Please don't hesitate to share.

Rob

1996 20' Wooldridge Xtra Plus - Sold 2012
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a link to an owners thoughts.

/another post here.

More. The boat is a beast to trailer (oversized load--beam)

You would need at least a good 3/4 ton truck. If going up in size and wanting an inboard diesel, I would consider one of the earlier Ranger tugs--original 25 or 27. Used these start in the $70,000 for a boat not in the best condition, on up to the $150,000 plus for a newer in great shape, low hours.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen one of these up in the South Vancouver Island waters. Not sure but I thin the owner is in the Victoria area. I did run beside for a while, and chatted with the owner. He was very happy with it.

It is very well proportioned so it looks like a 22 from far a way, then you get close and can't tell if it is the boat or your eyes that are on steroids. Shocked

I would differ some with Bob on the choice of an older Ranger. Service, and some parts replacements on those are very difficult due to the mfg process and some components are not very accessible making R and R difficult, time consuming and/or very expensive.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, I don't disagree with you about service of the Ranger Tug Diesels. But what I wrote is that if the individual wanted an inboard diesel--the RT would probably be a better choice.

I doubt that any of us know what the access for the Diesel engine on the C Dory/Venture 29 is--and talking about orphan boats....the C Dory 29 is far less common than any of the Ranger models!
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's due to cost and price point, but you just don't find many diesel trailerable boats. My personal opinion is the the Rangers are super nice, but there are others. The Seasport Pilot 26/27 can have the gold plated Volvo diesels is one that comes to mind. There was a Seasport 24 up here not too long ago for sale with a Volvo diesel for sale. You also will see some Osprey boats in that class with diesels. One thing they all have in common is they are really expensive with diesel power. It would be hard for me to justify given the extravagant extra cost.
Captain Starbucks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on trailering...much. Whatever I buy will live in a marina 5 minutes from my house in Tacoma most of the year but will get trailered to the coast for a few months at a time and either live in the water there or very close to it. I'm looking for a hardcore fishing rig that will serve double duty as a cruiser/entertainer.

I sold my Shamrock Mackinaw 270 recently after 7 years. Great boat, but just needed to sleep another person or two. The Venture 29 fits the bill, and has a nice enough interior to get me the green light from the wife. Decent turn of speed and reliable drivetrain are a real plus. 18 mph is all you can really depend on in the open ocean up here anyways, at least for a boaterhome type of fishing boat. Minimum planing speed is the number that's most important to me.

Already owned an R25. Not ideal for offshore.

Seasport 27 Pilot would also fit the bill, but no outdrives for me and they are pretty tender for my taste. Outboard versions are still insanely expensive despite plummeting boat prices.

Still have my eye out of for a Tomcat, that is the smallest boat that would check the boxes. Ten years ago on this forum, someone gave me some solid advice that has served me well in boat purchases. "Don't get the biggest boat you can afford, get the smallest boat that will do all you need it to do"
Captain Starbucks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the owner today. Boat is not going to be for sale until the end of September. I guess he had a smaller replacement picked out, but was sold before he could get it so now he's keeping his boat.

He said it cruised about 15 mph, when I asked about minimum planing speed, he was under the impression that is was not a planing hull and didn't think it ever planed out. He was not aware of a tunnel wedge being installed. He reported the engine ran good and boat was in good shape.
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Name of the boat? Reply with quote

I was just in Conover Cove (Wallace) yesterday and saw what I think was a 28' diesel version anchored out with stern lines to the rocks. I thought it was a 25 cruiser at first glance but no outboard and sat much higher and with chines on the bow.

I think it was C-Bessie or C-Bess? I was leaving so was concentrating on other things at the time.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No standup head?! The 25 and 26 seem to have a better head. That's interesting

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some critical comments from the guys tasked with building these 2 boats - the link will take you to a facebook poster on the Cdory owners site - may have to scroll down his postings.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/402371550212146/user/1650533762

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
No standup head?! The 25 and 26 seem to have a better head. That's interesting

The head is on the Port side, in front of the navigator's seat--the top makes a high dashboard at that point. I believe that there is decent headroom in that area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: