The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Would like to heat the cabin area on cdory16..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgewindsor

City/Region: Longbranch
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Would like to heat the cabin area on cdory16.. Reply with quote

is this possible? The math on a battery supplied heater is not great, maybe 2 hours at 500 w through an inverter.

12v heaters seem to be all garbage...

anyone have a solution?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of the solution.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2357&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here is a post about my cheaper solution.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=28256

It does require that in addition to the heater you install a little diesel tank, of course. Mine is 2 gallons. 2 gallons has lasted me several years. Because I burn so little, I opted to burn the expensive Kleen burn (kerosene). With the expensive fuel, comfortable heat for many nights on my C-Dory has cost me over $3 a year.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should my wallas die, I will be installing a cheap Chinese Diesel heater. I might just buy one and hold on to it for that day. Last I looked you Gould get a great one for around $180
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:
for around $180

They are even cheaper now. I paid about $110 with a complete install kit. You have to read through a bunch of advertisements to make sure that you are getting what you need because there is lots of variety. Correct voltage and the right accessories. The tank might not be the size or shape needed. The little mufflers that are included are not for interior space, so you will have to fab one or Webasto has a sealed stainless one for $189 plus shipping (which is why I made mine).

One of the accessories that I looked for was a remote control. The larger control/thermostat is in the main cabin, but the little control fob can be in the V berth on a larger boat. I've been spoiled by the ability to turn on my heat in the morning without getting out of bed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WARMTOO-8KW-12V-Diesel-Air-Heater-LCD-Thermostat-Tank-For-Truck-Boat-Trailer/402098403167?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
... The little mufflers that are included are not for interior space, so you will have to fab one or Webasto has a sealed stainless one for $189 plus shipping (which is why I made mine). ...

Can you provide details on how you made your muffler?

Thanks.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is made out of scrap copper pipe that I had around, so it might not be as economical for others being as the price of copper pipe has skyrocketed. Basically, it is about 8 inches of 2" copper pipe, two end caps, and 12" of 3/4" copper pipe. A foot of 2" pipe is about $15 and a foot of 3/4" is about $2. Home Depot used to sell small lengths of copper pipe, but I don't know if they still do. Plumbing shop might have short pieces of 2". If you have to buy a 10 foot stick of 2" ($100) the project doesn't pencil out.

Drill a one inch hole in the center of each cap. That fits the exterior of 3/4" copper pipe close enough to solder. Drill about twenty holes around the middle of the 3/4" pipe. These holes have to end up inside of your length of 2" pipe once you put the caps on. Put the 3/4" though a hole in one cap and put that on the 2" tube. Now stuff the 2" tube with fiberglass insulation from your attic around the 3/4" pipe. Put the other cap on and solder it all together.

You have now made a mini-Cherry Bomb glass pack muffler. https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Bomb-87522-Glasspack-Muffler/dp/B003E5P7EW I actually looked at lawn tractor mufflers before building, but couldn't find anything that fit the diesel heaters exhaust size (24mm) and was something that would last. I was concerned about sheet metal that might rust through and start leaking.

I think it took me longer to type this than to make one.

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the picture reminded me that I put on an 3/4" elbow for the exhaust connection on one end and a 3/4" coupling on the other. This made the copper pipe a tight fit inside of the stainless exhaust pipe that comes in these kits. I also used high temp silicon under the hose clamps to make sure that I had no exhaust leaks.

Mark
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffler makes it so much quieter. I used/installed one on our Airtronic. You might also consider a "Mr Buddy" or similar propane heater.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought some Kleen Fuel for my Wallas

Got to fire it up

Don't think the thing has ever been lit

and the boat is an '03

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: