View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Insulating Carpet for Interior Ceiling and Berth Reply with quote

I am preparing to upgrade Mistaya for more northern journeys. In addition to installing a Wabatso heater, I would like to add some insulation. Mainly I would like to add some interior carpet type material into the top and sides of the berth and also into the ceiling of the cabin. I know that some other C-Brats have done this from looking at photo albums. I would like to add some warmth to the cabin and berth, but mainly I am trying to reduce the condensation that drips on us at night.

I am interested in knowing what products you might have used. Did you install insulation under the carpet? What adhesive did you use? Sources for purchasing these materials, especially Canadian sources. Any tips and tricks for installation.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give us.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sprayed in insulation, which on anything bigger than a 16 would be a chore.

But that's not what I'm posting about since you mentioned a Webasto heater. I just took out a Webasto heater on my new boat. I put in on craigslist for $70. It's an older model and parts are hard to come by (and really, really expensive). A glow plug for my old model cost over $100. I got lots of interest and somebody is driving from Olympia tomorrow to get it. The control board (no longer available) on his doesn't work and he is trying to sell his boat.

I replaced it with one of Chinese "parking heater" that are all over on Ebay. These are knockoffs of the Eberspacher D2 (which I have on my C-Dory), but are priced a thousand dollars less. For those who have a problem with buying Chinese goods, forget I said anything and stop reading.

For others, my new $130 heater has much more sophisticated programming than either the Webasto or the Eberspacher. The most difficult aspect of it was trying to decipher the operator's manual. Fortunately, there YouTube videos (mostly Australians) that explain the many ways to adjust the heaters (timed on/off, BTU settings, PIN security settings, error codes, etc.)

I made two modifications. Because I had a long run through unconditioned space on my 30' trawler, I used foam pipe insulation as my duct for part of that run. The second thing was I fabricated my own muffler. I did that before on my C-Dory and there is a picture in my photo album. The exhaust is now silent. Seriously. The Webasto without a muffler roar/whined and could be heard 10 slips away. Now the boat next to me can't hear it.

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to insulation. Of course, with a nice quiet little heater (and a CO2/O2 detector), you can just leave the heat on low and the windows open. No condensation.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I ordered a roll of 3/4 inch Bedrug

Have it in my truck

It also comes in 1/4 inch thickness

A 72x120 inch roll of the 3/4 was $120.00

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: