The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailers for 22'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoot

City/Region: Cathedral City
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Trailers for 22' Reply with quote

I've been window shopping trailers on the web.

I see that 22s can have single or tandem.
also it seems most have ezloader trailers.

Bill from DA-NAG has a tandem PACIFIC.
Any thoughts on how to shop for a new Trailer would be appreciated.

HOOT
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new 22 also has a tandem Pacific trailer that I think is great. I went with a bunk trailer.....my last trailer with my old 22 was an EZ Loader roller, single axle. I think the bunks cushion the hull better, and it's easier to drive the boat onto the trailer with bunks. My trailer has disc brakes, led lights, and side guides, and is all galvanized. It tows great. Recommend it highly.
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be watching this post closely. Im in the market for a trailer as well. The easy Loader I have works OK but its a little short. No fault of the trailer its just not long enough for a 22' boat. As for tips on picking a trailer. GET A GALVANIZED TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think any one who has one regrets it. My duck boat and my musky boat both sit on galvanized trailers. I mostly buy Karavan trailers just because its a Wisconsin company. (parts easy to get if needed)I have 3. They are all good except for my non galvanized utility trailer is due for a refurb job. Rust Sad

Chris Bulovsky
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a good discussion we had earlier. I'm too lazy to type it up again, so I'll keep it brief.

My opinion: Get a Pacific tandem bunk, accessorized as mentioned in the thread above and by Sealife here. I've seen the others that are commonly sold on the west coast (EZ Loader and King), and I consider the Pacific design superior to both.

King quality is excellent, I just don't like the wider stance, the plastic fenders, or the higher bunks.

Most folks seem to consider EZ Loader a step down in quality from Pacific or King, but the factory sells a ton of them, and they'll get the job done.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum to Bill's recommendation, Pacific will go the extra mile both during and after the warranty period. Fortunately I'm only 85 miles from their SoCal location.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Hoot , had an E-Loader 102'' wide , bunk , tandem , led , wash system . Worst trailer I have ever own , kept it for 3 months told my dealer to order me a real trailer . The trailer I have now is similar to the King . It is heavy welded galvanize frame , hot dip inside and out , regular lights, I don' t like those LED, first time in the water I lost the left back light (burt) than the following week burt the light bar in the back,I can go on and on about all the problems , my word of advice shop around . Gary SEARAM
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you live, try http://www.loadmastertrailer.com/. I purchased one of these aluminum single axle trailers and have been very pleased. Bunches of options and very reasonable prices. Also cuts some of the weight of a galvanized trailer down. When I picked up my 22' Dory at Cutter Marine and was met by the trailer dealer who set the trailer up, even Cutter said it was a nice trailer. Just a thought.

John
Swee Pea
Hoot

City/Region: Cathedral City
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all input...

Price is a factor...but...as with powering...I don't want to cut corners with trailer.. I will be towing several thousand miles a year..From SoCal to PNW and BC. and Powell and Owyhee etc.

Its a tough decision...but think Im leaning toward Pacific...the factory is close to where I spend winters...SoCal..And I've never heard any horror stories..yet.

I will take a ride over there in next few weeks...

I'm really a tad scared to even think of price...

Anyway..thanks again...

Hoot
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoot wrote:
I'm really a tad scared to even think of price...

The Pacifc tandem has probably gone up a bit since I got mine in 2004, but if memory serves, you're looking at a little over $3K configured as a few of us have suggested.

Sealife and Sneaks got their's more recently...if they're not shy, perhaps they'll fess up to what they paid. Laughing
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, El Love and Bill Thumbs Up should leap on this one. They have pulled more miles than most of us put together. IMO any of the trailers will pull okay. I've done coast-to-coast with EZ loader, and a few thousand miles with King. The differences are in the details and prices, and have NO experience with Pacific. Presently have a tandem EZ loader and single-axle EZ loader, and the tandem is much better on a trip.

Dusty

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Pacific trailer Reply with quote

I have a Pacific trailer that hauls my 22' cruiser...and for the most part I like it...but the stock tires were JUNK .....Carlile tires are fine for short trips and storage...but I wore them out in just a few thousand miles... Had to go to Goodyears...and all is well now... my trailer came with 2 wheel drum brakes... bad idea...you should go with disks, and in some places they want brakes on all wheels.... I like the metal fenders, and wish I had ordered the sideboards.....they make retrieving in a wind so much easier.

Joel and Sue
SEA3PO
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my trailer was bundled into the total price by the dealer, but I can make some recommendations if you go Pacific.

Here's my laundry list:

Specify 4 wheel disc brakes. Pacific uses Kodiak, btw. WA requires both axle have brakes as do some other states.

If you get side guide boards, AND you have the Wallas, make sure they know to adjust the height so as to not block the Wallas exhaust with the sideboard. Otherwise, stock height is just fine

You CAN specify tire brand, though they will grumble. Don't forget to get a matching spare at that time.

If you get sling slots, only get rear slots because that's all that is needed.

Ask about getting electric over hydraulic brake system rather than surge braking. If it's in your budget, it's way superior to surge brakes. "Journey On" had it done on his and in retrospect I wish I could have it as well. Then let us know what Pacific charges for that feature, PLEASE. It does require a controller in the tow vehicle. Prodigy is my fave there.

Don
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: One more thought Reply with quote

For Spare Tire..... I bought a great mount from West Marine...it has a complete hub as part of the spare mount....and the spare tire is mounted to the hub...so if you ever burn out your bearings, all you need do is remove the hub part of the mount and install it on the axle... it's a Great idea....great place to carry spare bearings and hub....someday you might need it...and it was not much more than a solid spare mount....
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel-

Good idea!

Is the following correct?

1. The replacement hub works fine on brakeless axles.

2. On drum braked axles, the hub must be a dimensionally equal replacement for the drums to center and work right. If the drums are demountable from the hub, the existing drums are simply transferred to the new hubs, if they are bonded together, the procedure would be to transfer the bearings to the original hubs, replacing the seals. One could also carry a replacement hub/drum assembly, but would require adjustment of the brakes once installed. (Can you typically drive out the studs to free the drums from the hubs for transfer?)

3. On disc braked axles, the hub, which also carries the disc/rotor, must be an exact replacement of the one in service, and the caliper must be temporarily dismounted to allow installation and replacement. The hydraulic lines can remain mounted on the caliper and thus avoid any brake bleeding procedure.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: One more thought Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
For Spare Tire..... it has a complete hub as part of the spare mount....and the spare tire is mounted to the hub...so if you ever burn out your bearings, all you need do is remove the hub part of the mount and install it on the axle... it's a Great idea....great place to carry spare bearings and hub....someday you might need it...and it was not much more than a solid spare mount....

The King trailer (tandem axle) that we ordered through Les for "Sea Shift" has the complete "spare tire/hub assembly" as Joel has described. Certainly a preferred set up! (BTW the King Trailer Factory is appox. 15-20 minutes from our house and they have been most accomodating to any of our needs.....we had one of the fenders crack and they replaced it at no charge.....I don't know if they've reinforced their fenders yet, but if they haven't they should as they are not as "solid" as I feel they should be). Some time I'll swing in there and talk to them about that.

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: