The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cabin condensation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene Stebbs.

City/Region: McMinnville
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Cabin condensation Reply with quote

In the construction industry we used to hear the painters talk of "vapor barrior paint" which eliminated the need of a visqueen vapor barrior on the exterior walls prior to putting in the FG insulation, would this/has anyone tried this to reduce cabin condensation on uninsulated C Dory cabins?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabin condensation Reply with quote

Gene Stebbs. wrote:
In the construction industry we used to hear the painters talk of "vapor barrior paint" which eliminated the need of a visqueen vapor barrior on the exterior walls prior to putting in the FG insulation, would this/has anyone tried this to reduce cabin condensation on uninsulated C Dory cabins?

I haven't heard of anyone using the vapor barrier paint but check out this now 10 year old thread about insulating paint to reduce condensation. Since Ken "pioneered" this in C-Dory's several others have done the same with good results. Yes Ken - you are a pioneer (and as old as some too!) Wink Crap - I'm old too as I remember this 10 year old post.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think vapor barrier paint will help. The condensation is not coming through the cabin walls but being generated from the inside and condensing on the cool/cold surface. The only real solution is to keep the inside surface warmer than the condensation temperature of the inside air (depends on relative humidity). Insulation or internal heating of some sort is required.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, I can recommend a "The Absorber" cloth for wiping down the walls/ceiling in the morning (check automotive section for them; they come in a plastic tube shaped sort of like a can of three tennis balls). Not as good as preventing it (which I understand is your goal), but makes wipe-down relatively painless.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I don't think vapor barrier paint will help. The condensation is not coming through the cabin walls but being generated from the inside and condensing on the cool/cold surface. The only real solution is to keep the inside surface warmer than the condensation temperature of the inside air (depends on relative humidity). Insulation or internal heating of some sort is required.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Vapor barrier paint won't help. Boat in a dry climate or make the air dry inside the csbin.

I think Sunbeam has done a major insulation job on the inside of the hull, maybe not on her C-Dory. Tedious, but another sure way to prevent condensation.

Gene Stebbs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was doubtfull but curious, I saw some thin insulation materials in an older post I may look into that. I know metal framed windows are a nightmare for condensation the housing industry battled that for years until the plastic/synthetic window frames came out. I had a hard time trying to convince some customers that they did not have a roof leak until I mentioned that it had not rained for two weeks but hey had water running down the widows and walls below the widows, particularly bad in mobile homes. I am just looking atall the issues I may have to deal with and be prepared with answers much in advance of a purchase, thanks again for taking the time to humor amdrespond to my repetitive questions
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insulation will help--but you still have to look at surfaces such as the forward hatch or windows. It is always possible to make insulation inserts which fill the hatch, or windows.

We are using back packing pads on the sides of the V berth, as well as under the bunk cushions.

Once one puts in permanent insulation, generally the utilitarian nature of the unlined simple interior. I have seen mold in several of the boats from the factory which have the headliner, and walls lined with the vinyl/foam material.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anybody gets too excited about insulating paints, you might want to read something like this article.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/insulating-paint-merchants-dupe-gullible-homeowners

There are also some FTC cases where paint companies have been sued for fraudulent claims, but this article sets it out. I came across these paints when I built a home a few years ago. Sometimes the claims, like R-10 insulation value, is walked back to mean "R-10 per inch of paint thickness," which the FTC rightly asserts (and the judge finds) to be misleading.

Even still, I'm thinking about applying some insulating paint to my boat now that it's completely torn apart and I wouldn't have to mask very much.

I think that I can make insulating paint cheaper and better than any of the marketed products that I've seen. A gallon of mold inhibiting white paint (like Kilz or Zinsser) is about $25. Mold inhibiting paint is what I want on a boat where condensation is an issue. A half gallon of glass microballoons (the secret ingredient) is about $15. Because the manufacturing of the tiny glass orbs leaves a slight vacuum in the middle, microballoons are often claimed to have magical properties when creating "insulating" paints. Not really magical, but they do have more insulating value than the regular solid particles in paint.

A gallon and a half might be more than I need for the V berth on a CD 16, but thicker is better. It's the "thicker is better" part that limits the effectiveness of paint as an insulator. When you visualize a half gallon of "insulation" (in this case the volume of the microballoons) spread out over the area to be painted, that's not much insulation. But if the purpose isn't to stay warm, but rather to reduce condensation, adding a little R value could be part of a solution.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted the interior surfaces of my cd 22 cruiser with 3 coats of HydroTech SC#1000 paint followed by three coats of latex home paint (from HD). While I don't boat in the PNW I found that this treatment may help. In the v-berth area sometimes the walls and roof can feel a bit "clammy" in the morning after an overnight stay, but there is no visible moisture, nor does any come off when the surface is wiped. We have spent overnights on the boat in VA in December.

Sometimes in the main cabin there is a film of condensation (you can see a difference if you swipe your finger) on the roof. This usually happens after cooking with the butane stove or using it to heat the cabin. This goes away by itself and does not require any wiping up.

Whether I am just lucky or this treatment is helpful, I don't know. I did this first thing when I got the boat (based on issues I read about here), so I don't have a before or after comparison.

http://www.hytechsales.com/prodsc.html
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have use the SC1000 product in two boats and it really does have a worthwhile effect. The sound deadening properties are significant and I have even tested that with a DB meter. The thermal insulating properties are relatively slight but are enough to nearly eliminate condensation on our interiors for northwest year round use.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Roger, you're making me feel old. This is be nice on the internet day, stop cyber bullying me.

10 years, where do the years go? Concerning the goo I installed and painted over ten years ago- I still like it, it looks good, and it helps. What I like about it is that if you didn't know it had been treated, you would never notice it. I think a bit of insulation and some ventilation really helps with the condensation problem.

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Flex Form marine carpet in our V-birth, 3 years holding up well.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1789&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Gene Stebbs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may just look for a Venture 26' when the time comes, I really wanted the difference in weight twixt the 25 and 26 to be taken up with extra fuel capacity, but the insulation may be worth the cost difference considering being in SE AK for 5+ months on the water......time will tell I suppose, I will put that on hold for now and find some other issues to bug you guys about.. Smile It is my understanding that these boats are lined with foam insulation and covered with marine vinyl, have there been any know cases of any seperation of the components, sagging vinyl, loose foam and such?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Stebbs. wrote:
I may just look for a Venture 26' when the time comes, IIt is my understanding that these boats are lined with foam insulation and covered with marine vinyl, have there been any know cases of any seperation of the components, sagging vinyl, loose foam and such?

I have seen several 26's with both separation of the foam/vinyl, and mold growing on both sides. There are better techniques, (in my opinion) to insulate that the foam vinyl product. If I was spending that much time in AK, I would do it myself, and do it so that there will be no issues.

I used a French product, I got thru Canada, for our boat we used up there for 4 summers, glued (contact cement) on 1/8" plywood panels, and then held in place with battens for the ceiling. This was a closed cell PVC foam, about 1/8" thick, and a textured outer surface. It could be contact cemented over the entire hull/over head for the c Dory.
The below is similar, but not the same:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Closed-Cell-2A-Volara-Foam-Landau-Padding-1-8-3-16-1-4-1-2-By-the-Yard-/261751716811?var=&hash=item3cf19e3bcb:m:motqNl5L3kikEWWUrZMMGzA
Ensolite makes some similar 1/8" foams.
For the hull sides, I got 5/8" thick "Fish blanket" which was cheap at the local hardware stores in AK.. I put this against the hull with liquid nails, and then covered the inside surface with a very thin formica type of material, with 3M spray adhesive. Worked very well, no condensation issues, and easy to clean each of these. No delimitation or sagging.

I am sure that there are 26's which are kept in dry environments or stored inside etc, which do not have these issues. I would see what the real difference in weight was--on scales, not from sales brochures. The 26 will ride a bit better in chop.

There are also some neoprene foams, with contact adhesive, (if you can find in light colors, this would be excellent). We did the 38 footer we built with 1/2" Ensolite insulation, a friend had left over from a commercial job. This was contact cement to the bare hull inside, and then a formica type of material used in air liners (Douglas surplus) was contact cemented on th inside. Excellent material. I suspect that Boeing would have the same type of products at their surplus stores.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I suspect that Boeing would have the same type of products at their surplus stores.

Boeing Surplus in Seattle is now closed. I bought some dual-density foam backed "jet" carpet there years ago for a sports car sound proofing project. Great stuff. I remodeled a little kitchen a few years back and spent some time in the remnant area of local flooring dealers. I ended up buying a floating vinyl flooring that was almost identical to the Boeing stuff. It's about 1/8th inch thick foam, very durable and very flexible. It's not usually glued down, but it can be. That might be something to look in to.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: