View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Pain free insulation solution Reply with quote

Since the doctors won't let me have sharp objects most of the time, I've been looking for a different approach to providing some insulation and noise dampening to the cabin other than cutting and fitting hull linner. I happened upon this outfit that produces a insulating paint for marine applications, looks like a winner. A factory Rep is going to come by the school next week with some samples, I let ya'll know how it goes. http://www.mascoat.com/Marine.htm
try this link- http://www.mascoat.com/marine.php?PHPSESSID=edb3cc7efc8f5675853292454b1625c3

Last edited by B~C on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken- Great idea! Idea What a labor saver and a more permanent solution ! Thumbs Up Not that anyone around here ever looks for an easy way out so they could finally get out of the boat and actually go fishing or cruising!!! CoolSmile

But I know your real plan Wink : This stuff requires a real masking job and afterward a real clean up, so we all know what your students will be doing for a semester project this Spring! Disgust

Pity the one that draws the short straw and has to go inside and do the spraying! Shocked At least when he comes out he's be all insulated up for the hot summer you guys are going to inherit from Southern California! Teeth

This sounds like a great factory option that could be applied efficiently before the interior is painted with Zolatone. Once you get it done (if you do), you ought to post some photos here and be sure the factory is aware of it.

In fact, you ought to let the company demonstrate applying the product on your boat at the factory for all to see! (Wishful Thinking???)

Keep us posted..........Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Cheers

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken - testing on a single boat may not be sufficient so make sure the school buys enough so Cheers can participate in the test program, too.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mongo is impressed... to-be-sure!! Teeth (and so am I Smile ) One reason I went the way of Marine Carpet was a weight issue. I'd do it! Exclamation then in most places, I'd go over it with the same (carpet or wood) aesthetics are just as important as the insulation itself... then again (and again Laughing ) : exactly how butt-fleabag-ugly is the stuff!! (Shocked) (Question )

Ken, where in tarnation did you stumble across this stuff ... Disgust
B~C

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys, where's your ethics....ya gots me thinking now, a little extra credit project in industrial coatings Smile naw. As it turns out, the Rep's folks live just up the hill from the school and he was just happening to be in town to visit them.
I'm curious to have a look see at the stuff, I don't imagine it would look much different than the glass on there now. I aim to slather some under the V-berth cushion and the lower half of the cabin and see how it works before I'd get to nuts with it, I'll keep ya's posted.

I found the stuff just searching on the net, I was thinking somebody out there must make a paint that is thicker and has some insulating qualities..bingo

It's hard to beat a good carpet job for that quality motor yacht finish but we get to much salmon muck flying around in the cabin. It wouldn't take us long to have it looking pretty ratty
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Looks to me like you need to spray that stuff on. Will any type equipment work or do you need something special that will work on a high viscosity material.

Tim

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, go to the website and you will find that they highly recommend certain spray equipment. However if several boats wanted to do this we could share in the cost of the sprayer. Need a compressor however.

http://www.mascoat.com/Marine.htm

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
B~C

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they also say that the product is readilly applied with a brush or roller Smile I gots compressors and spray equipment to loan on a limited basis if we should end up having a painting party someday
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting..... Man, I think I would have loved to have tried this in the "cathedral" of my 16' open back cruiser.... I loved that boat, but at around the 3K+ rpm range, even that 50 hp Honda 4 stroke got a bit loud... simply due to the "backscreen" or "cathedral" of the covered area. Keep us posted. How much insulation factor per coat?? Might be good to 1st coat the interior of some work coolers prior to adding the bulk insulation... to further protect the wood... like a fishbox on the back of a charter boat...? Wonder how slick it is when wet? Cost per gallon? This stuff looks like it has a some potential..
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long this stuffs been on the market... but now me thinks; all the aluminum boat manufacturers are going to be upping the ante Big TIme with this. Think about it... Xmas Eek
B~C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rep will be by tomorrow morning, stay tuned.
This stuff could be the bees knees for those beer can boats
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it pretty quick Ken, but it looked as if 'Glass Boats need to be primed first?
I'm very interested in this stuff for any boat...

If ya think of it, ask if they are up here... Exclamation (AK)
B~C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the skinney. The stuff loves to stick on fiberglass with no need for priming. It doesn't look bad, it's just kind of a bland, off white surface that wouldn't be any more slicker than most other surfaces. It can be brushed or rolled but the Rep strongly suggested spraying as it is much easier and does a better job of covering. Overspray is will not be near the problem as is with paints because the stuff is thicker and bonded to itself. Two coats would be about a 40 mil thick and have about a R11 insulation value...or..equal to about a two inch thick chunk of insulation. It was recomended, for cleaning ease, to paint over the top (or carpet) of the product.

He also left me some of this stuff to try http://www.mascoat.com/dB.htm

Me thinks a coat of the db stuff on the floor and up a bit on the side of the hull and the rest of the motoryacht gets the insulation treatment.

I have a quart of the db and a couple of quarts of the insulation, expermentation and pictures to follow.

He was verrrry receptive to giving us a price break. If interested, PM me
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm ready to rip-out my lower portions of carpeting if the stuff really does cut sound!! If it bonds well, it ain't gonna trap moisture under it either Thumbs Up

Always in search of better sleep (on my noisy C-Dory---LOL Laughing ) Greg Wink
B~C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he had a teflon coated griddle with half of it coated ~ 1/8 thick with the stuff, it was stuck on there pretty durn good. When the griddle was plugged in and cranked up to 500 degrees the stuff started to come unstuck from the griddle, you could lay your hand on the stuff and it was just warm. When it cooled it stuck and became one with the griddle.

There where some tests done to a fancy research ship that Nichols Marine built out of 1/4 aluminum and it cut the noise by 15 decibels....did I mention that the stuff is UPSable

I'm jazzed, I hope i don't get the boat so quiet and comfy that I risk falling asleep at the wheel Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: