The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

BayStar hydr. steering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: BayStar hydr. steering Reply with quote

I ordered the Teleflex BayStar hydraulic steering for my boat yesterday.
After 22 years my old cable system is getting worn and sloppy. It survived two engines and 2100 hrs. running.
I am anxious to install it but dread the removal of the engine to get the old cable system off and the BayStar installed. My 1983 22' has the narrow motorwell so the motor must be removed.
I read good reports of performance of the BayStar and I hope to have the same results.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack- I went that route years ago Exclamation You need-not remove engine Exclamation Exclamation just cut the old cable and pull it out that way! I cut mine with one of them 4-inch grinders (from Costco Laughing ) piece-a-cake Thumbs Up
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Hyd. steering Reply with quote

Greg,
Good suggestion. on cutting the old cable. Thanks. Now if the hydr. steering will fit into the tilt tube w/o removing the engine I will be home free.
My neighbor with the 26' cabin cruiser C-Dory put hydr. on his boat when he changed engines and he loves it. Much easier to steer.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right; the bolt that fits through the tilt-tube; did not need any jimmy'n of the engine to get inserted. If it did; only loosen the bolts and pry-out one side of the engine, it certainly does not need to be removed. Don't forget to re-gorilla-snot it back on, if ya do break a sealing surface on the transom.
A big-assed yeah on the improvement Thumbs Up makes a "clunky old feeling boat" into a fine feeling baby Smile
Man... glad I saw this one. We Classic owners gotta stick together here Wink Cigar Beer Mr. Green
They don't makem like they used to Smile
jflug

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Pescadory
Photos: Pescadory
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this a couple years ago when I mounted my Yamaha F80 on my '81 Angler. I thought I was home free when I cut off the old steeringf cable, but alas, I still wound up unbolting the motor to get both sides of the Baystar steering into the pivot tube. It's not that hard, but it's just un-nerving having my 400 lb F80 hanging from a come-along for any period of time.

Jim F
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Been there, done that. I just today put my come-along in my truck so I had it when I changed out steering.

I used the come-along when installing the 1st motor and when I replaced it in 1997. I hung it from my son's basket ball hoop BRACING. Worked great. Smile
dogon dory

C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redƒox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garsh... thnx mon Thumbs Up Teeth

Guys it's been so many years, I don't recall exactly, but I think it was a struggle getting the long bolt into the tube (took a little poundin Neutral but nuttin got "bullied and bugger'd" really Mr. Green Hey, try it the easy way first Idea

That rack over my transom came in really handy when I upgraded from my old 140 Johnson; come-along and straps right from the top (took off the "burger-box" first of course) Smile
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C Dory HIGH TIDE has hydraulic steering installed, filled and air bled out.

It works great and now I wonder why I put up with that archaic, sticking, jerky cable system. I threw the whole thing in the dumpster.

I had to take the 90 hp. Honda clear off and let it dangle on an engine hoist while I removed the cable and installed the hydr. rod etc. It went back together well .......Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. YeeeHaaa. Very Happy Smile Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: