C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the link doesn't work check Best ideas under $20 for fire extinguisher mount. Thread is under geneal technical discussion link here.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=19196#19196[here]

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuck an additional grab handle on the starboard side of the cabin (just around the corner from the factory one) and mounted a fire ext. to a chunk of oak and used the grab handle bolts to secure the whole mess to the wall. I also have another Ext. kicking around the little compartment under the helm....It just seems to make sense to have an Ext mounted close to the stove & back door
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Fire Extinguisher mounting.. Reply with quote

Jim & Laurie; et all
Great suggestion on the fire 'bottles'. The quantity noted is a good minimum for this size CD IMO.

jimandlaurie wrote:
We put 2 on our 22. One just inside the cabin doorala some of the others here. But we also put one in the berth,agianst the wall on the port side.
Just a hint ,when you put them in mount them laying on their side. If they are mounted in a verticle position, the retardent will settle and cake on the bottom of the unit, and clog the feed tube and may not fire off without vigorous shaking.

IMO, if a bottle is on its side it could also be possible for the powder to get into the indicator opening and give a false pressure reading. As to space, that is the trade-off for location. If vertical, this seems to be a more natural 'grab stance' for when you need it fast. As to the clogging, or hardening, of the contents; it is usually suggested that these dry chemical bottles be shakened periodically. This is done so that you can feel the powder inside 'pour' from one end to the other smoothly [without any 'thunk']. I cycle/shake my fire bottles abt every 4 to 6 months. If the the 'thunk' can not be cleared, then I replace the fire bottle. [I do this at home as well.]

I have been looking for a small CO2 bottle for the Wallas Stove area to replace my my dry chemical units, since they make such a mess. The units I have found so far are very expensive. I don't know if they make a 2 1/2 # CO2 or 5# is the smallest. Embarrased

I am sure a lot of this common sense to many. It just seemed like point to remember from this ol' Yankee????????

73s

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Art,

Not sure how small they make them but I have a 2 liter foam extinguisher in the kitchen. Not much bigger to store than the factory CD model and I am sure extra capacity would be welcome if you really needed it. Foam is easier to clean up, doesen't blow all over, and doesn't glog the valve like the powder.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, 'do not have my C-Dory yet, but have had some experiences fo fire on board.... Many years ago, during the smoking years, I opened the door to the head in my sail boat in the Gulf of Mexico to discover smoke and flames.... I had to crawl/dive thru all that to get to the fire extinguisher near the engine compartment. As such, I like the idea of two or three fire extinguishers, each near a compartment or potential fire starting area. One by the stove, one by the head and one by the engine/fuel will be my locations. When your boat is on fire out of sight of land or friend, you need all the convenience and backup possible.

Thanx for the interesting topic, John

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Hi Chris;
The use of a foam extinguisher is a possibliity. My main concern is that foam is a wet unit that is designed for certain chemical fires. It is a 'wet' extinguisher and therefore I would post a word of caution if you have a Wallas Stove, or anything that has electrical power to it when you could, or do have, a fire. The foam, which usually has a water base in it, is conductive.

Just a thought, but I am not aware of any other properties for this type of extinguisher. It would be great for a gas grill on the aft deck rail area, though it may be a little small, IMO.

As to number of 'bottles', I will be adding at least a 3rd unit to the CD25 for the cockpit area and a 4th inside the 'V' berth area. I am too large to get out of the forward hatch.

73s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: