The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery weight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Battery weight Reply with quote

Yesterday I talked with Bob of Catalina Yacht Sales...(C-Dory dealer in Channel Islands) and he told me about someone that moved their batteries.....and put one on each side...and then put the switch in the panel between the two sides... said it leveled out the boat well....

My boat always leans when at the dock on the battery side... no wonder ... I went to buy new batteries and found those suckers were 60 pounds each..... 120 pounds on one side in the back ....hard to offset.

I am thinking of buying a couple of those light weight (38 pound) sealed, no maintenance hi-tech batteries.... can be mounted in any position...never need anything...and don't gas..

Anyone tried these ??? I know they are expensive...but what the heck..

Joel
SEA3PO
ahpeterson

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my setup has two small cranking batteries on the starboard side, and the house battery on the port side. The boat seems to rest level with this layout. The battery switch panel (with the emergency parallel switch) is on the starboard side with the cranking batteries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked it up.... it's a Odyssey Battery... can be mounted flat, on it's side or up side down... a battery equal to a group 24 only weighs 38 pounds...

Joel
SEA3PO
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery weight Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
My boat always leans when at the dock on the battery side... no wonder ... Joel
SEA3PO

LOL! With my fat _ _ _ I always keep the water tank full and empty the starboard fuel tank first, Joel. You're skinny enough to just use the water tank....

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of my weight problem is I carry lots of weight in my starboard side... food and all the kitchen stuff while my port side is fairly light weight... some clothes..life jackets..and never more that a quarter of a tank of water...(never use more).. Maybe I should mount both batteries above the water tank on the port side and balance the boat some ??
I could make long battery cables out of welding cables to make up for the voltage loss of the long cables...

Joel
SEA3PO
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, of course our boats are different, but I moved 1 of my 2 batteries to the port side, helped a lot! Lots of cables and wires on the starboard side, plus the head on my boat. I pack all the heaviest items on the left side to help.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who me light weight ???? Just tell my wife that..... I was thinking of joining the guys with the Biggest Looser contest.... actually the flu knocked 17 pounds off me last couple of weeks...

My problem is when I am tied to the dock...the boat always leans to starboard.... I kinda think with the weight of the twins...and two batterys so far back it is out of balance...and moving some of the weight amidships will help...

Joel
SEA3PO
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements for a starting battery includes MCA, Marine Cranking Amps. MCA is the amps available to the starter at 32 degrees F. Car batteries are rated at CCA, Cold Cranking Amps. CCA is amps available at 0 degrees F. MCA will be higher than CCA for a given battery.

The owners manual should specify the MCA needed by the starter. As long as the battery(ies) has a high enough rating it should work. The other requirement is that the alternator can charge the type of battery in use. Some outboard regulators are not set for gel batteries. That info should also be in the owners manual. Too long a cable run can result in too low a voltage at the starter, which can damage the starter.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel have you ever thought of putting the batterys between the fuel cells in battery boxes? I did, it balanced the boat well and freed up storage in both the lazarettes.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could make long battery cables out of welding cables to make up for the voltage loss of the long cables...

Joel
SEA3PO[/quote]

I used welding cable on a center console I redid some years ago. I had a constant problem with corrosion with the cables and finally changed them out for Marine tinted cable.

SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I am guilty of automotive thinking.... ALWAYS...use marine wire...and marine connectors... I should know that by now...
I really am quite impressed with the Odyssey batteries...light weight and can mount anywhere... they sound perfect... plenty hot too !

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can move the batteries around--and many folks do--and also add more batteries, if they have a need.

BUT, remember that the amount of capacity of a batter is directly replaced to the amount of lead in it--if it'st weight is 30 lbs and the regular battery weight is 60 lbs, it will have half the capcity. I don't know if you are refering to the Odyessy or Optima batteries. The Odyessy is a good AGM battery. The Optima is a spiral wrapped battery.--Both are AGM, which is absorbed Gel Mat and are sealed.

If it is the Odyessy PC1200, which does weigh 38 lbs it has only 550 CCA and a reserve capacity of 40 amp hours. West Marine's Group 24 AGM "Sea Volt, weight is 53 lbs 79 amp hours. There are a number of other AGM batteries, including Sear's Platinum series.

I use lead acid batteries in the cockpit and AGM batteries in the cabin, where I cannot check water regularly or where the battery needs to be mounted on its side or end (not upside down: the Odyessy site says: "inverted installation is not recommended) .

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...that is what I am thinking about is AGM batteries.... mounting amidships .....probably somewhere like above the water tank..... to take some of the weight away from the starboard stern... I always go with the largest battery I can fit.... more is better .. I now need to go check my charger and the motors to make sure they can handle AGM batterys.

Several weeks ago I rode in a new 22 with the Honda 90, and was impressed with how light it felt in the stern...it got out of the hole really quickly ..... my twins make the boat stern heavy.

Joel
SEA3PO
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.check out the optima blue top batteries .don"t know how much they wiegh? , but u can probably find out easy ,they must have a web site. i've not cracked one yet on my 26 , but cracked a few others so i can tell u thier tough,werent cheap though.another small test i"ve put em through is running a small ele.motor (made for trolling - small fish thpe boat or dink) and on high speed its pushed me back to ramp / also can get me out of channel in an emergency ,more times than i like its pushed me far enough from com.traffic where i feel safe enough to hop in and change a prop. (lots of junk & dead heads floating in the hudson river). like larry said check to make sure u can charge gel cel ok. u can read all day about CCA -MCA same thing kinda. just tryin to tell u in real world experience they have lasted longer on elect. kicker, & running my motor with dead alt. longer than any other batt. i"ve tried i"m sure u would like them but they are heavy little suckers but never checked or was priortized buy batt. wieght., hope this helped ...............john
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Weight is great! Reply with quote

Hi Joel,
I'm with Bob, weight is great. The best battery is the heaviest lead battery you can comfortably carry. They're pretty much old school technology, work well, are comparatively inexpensive, and give good service if checked regularly. Didn't we recently have an extensive battery thread, or was that about chargers?

Just my opinion.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: