The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Newbee on-line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnugTug

City/Region: Ocean City
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Snug Tug
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Newbee on-line Reply with quote

Got a Ranger 25 in June 2007 -- love it. Never bothered to look around the internet for other owners until now. Finally looked into the C-Brats site from the Ranger Tugs website today. Great resource! All the issues I've been dealing with are well covered by others who have given it even more thought than I have. (Dinghy, storage, cleaning the brass, Kleen Heat for the Wallas stove, etc.) Picked up a Maxxon 7.5 ft inflatable dinghy (which we store on the swim platform) shortly after buying the Ranger last year. Lots of other good ideas in the forum.

We bought Snug Tug at Grattitude Yachting Center in Rock Hall Maryland but keep it in Ocean City, NJ. Anyone else out there on the NJ coast?

Our only significant trip was up the Jersy coast, through NY harbor, Hell Gate, Long Island Sound to Block Island, RI, Newport and up Narraganset bay to Providence, RI to visit our daughter. Great trip! Too bad we only had a two weeks vacation. Other than that, we cruise the coast of NJ. This summer Nantucket and Cape Cod are on the agenda (Still limited by available vacation time until retirement.) Can't wait!

Issues with the boat: (Mostly electrical) Wouldn't start one day just before the big trip. Found a bad ground connection where the ground strap attaches to the starter housing on the engine. (The paint wasn't scraped from under where the strap is attached.) Also found quite a few very loose bolts on battery cables. Also the house battery and starter battery cables were wired in reverse (the engine was starting from the house battery and the house stuff was running off the start battery!) Came across these issues while troubleshooting the bad ground problem. It also explained some other confusing electrical issues which went away once the main problem was corrected. Several other minor wiring issues. Minor non-electrical: Couldn't replace the Racor fuel filter because it was mounted too low to unscrew it from the bottom (re-mounted it higher).

That's enough for now. Later I'll be asking about maintenance issues, changing oil for the engine, transmission and genset. (Did it once, made a mess taking off the oil filter!) Might put an aftermarket Bimini on this spring??

Until then . . .

Jon & Marilyn Ponder
Collegeville, PA
(Boat kept in Ocean City, NJ)

W3DVY
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with your new tug and welcome to the site its great i"m about 30 mi. north of manhattan in stony piont on hudson river and cruise mostly LI& the river but hit new jersy frequently mabey will catch up this summer and cruise would luv to see ur tug ..........john
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Congrats on your new tug.

You will find this site has a wealth of information. We have had our R25 since September. Hull #46. You will find if you have any problems or questions, the factory gives great customer service.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all right New Jersey! I am Rutgers-Camden Law Class of 1975! Brady Hill on Minnow is in East Amwell, don't know any other NJ Brats, but Marty Platzner (Lizzie) here in Washington State is New Jersey through and through!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pat--Just because my ashes will be strewn in a booth at Mastoris Diner........

Welcome Snug Tug!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
EDBRADY

City/Region: Stratford
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: BRADY'S BUNCH
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like a you had a great crusie this past summer. How was the trip through Hell Gate. I keep my R25 in Stratford, Ct on Long Is Sound. We also cruised to Block Is and then separate trips to Montauk Long Is and East Hampton, Long Is. Plan on cruising down the East River to lower Manhattan and then up the Hudson this coming season. Perhaps we will cross paths.
Regards,
Ed Brady - Bradys Bunch
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jon & Marilyn,
Say active on the site, The more the merrier. Good source of how to fix things. Your electrical problem will cause me to check mine out. Battery runs down when nothing is on.

We just got to the Keys yesterday. Islamorada. Nice slip for the boat right in front of the house. Should be great fun for a couple of weeks. Son-in-Law and daughter got in late last night.

Captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: ranger 25 Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

I live in Rock Hall and have been looking at a 25 . Jack, Robin and Ed are friends. I love the boat and am in the 'talking" stage with them

From what i hear, Ranger has worked to solve some of the wiring and electrical problems.

Any questions i should raise with Jack Heffner based on your experience?

By the way, we are having our annual C dory/ Ranger gathering here on June 6, 7,8...why not make a run down for the weekend?

I lived in Poughkeepsie for years (Vassar professor) and love the Hudson. I'm an old Clearwater member...a beautiful river, especially in Fall season.

Good luck with your boat and welcome to the site

Terraplane
SnugTug

City/Region: Ocean City
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Snug Tug
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the welcome Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the welcome to the forum.

On the question of the passage through Hell Gate: No problem at all. Went through at 10-11 knots boat speed which gave us 14+ knots GPS speed with the current in our direction. Lots of eddys and standing waves of 2 to 3 feet so it felt a bit like running the rapids. It wouldn't be a good place to have an engine failure! We stopped at Oyster Bay and Mattituck on the way through Long Island sound. Had some thick fog from Mattituck through Plum Gut over to Block Island.

Concerning the Rock Hall c-Dory rendevous, I think we were [inadvertently] at the last one in Langford Marina just south of Rock Hall last June (2007). We went there to go for a ride on the R-25 before we bought it and saw the c-Dory crowd gathered there. We took a good look at the layout on all the c-Dorys to get ideas on how to live in cozy quarters.

As far as any concerns for new buyers to watch out for, we don't have any. Just be sure you're satisfied with the available space and speed. We're comfortable curising at 10 or 11 knots fully loaded for cruising, which is pushing the Yanmar 110 hp pretty hard at 3000 rpm just 200 below the max limit of 3200 RPM. (3100 rpm is the max continuous) We basically use two speeds: 1900 rpm for 6.5 knots displacement speed which gives 1 gallon per hour burn rate (6.5 NM per gallon) or 3000 rpm which gives 10 to 11 knots depending upon waves/wind and burns 4.4 gals per hour (2.5 NM per gallon). Your mileage may vary . . .

Jon & Marilyn

W3DVY
PenguinPA

City/Region: Tacoma
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: R'Dragon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jon!

Love to hear about the east coast adventures. Hope to make your acquaitance someday soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: