City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Am just about finished with the Hungry Ocean (a very good read) and have ordered "Heart of the Raincoast" by Alexandra Morton and Billy Proctor, and "Tales from the Hidden Basin" by Dick Hammond. Hope they are as good.

I learned about those two from Janet Clark (Dreamer). I will be interested in your reaction, so please do post after you have read them.

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay & Jolee - After our brief visit at Bridge Bay Marina last summer, I presume you outfitted the Hunky Dory with the Perko Fender gizmos I sent you. I returned several times to try and catch the lake trout, and finally was successful. For any C-Dory folks out there who might find themselves on Yellowstone Lake the first two weeks of Sept., the lake trout fishing in West Thumb is excellent. Catch as many as you want - no limit to size or number. Only one catch - the fishing regs require you use barbless hooks limited to one treble hook. Now only a federal bureaucrat could come up with a rationalization for that reg. Why? Lake trout are considered an invasive species and endangering the native cut throat trout, and the NPS has declared war against the laker to the extent that gill nets are set all over the place and hundreds of thousands of dollars are being spent to get rid of these "pests". Fisherman are being solicited to catch as many lake trout as you want, but, no barbs on the hooks. A very officious young lady ranger boarded the Far West II, and after a check to see if I had a license to fish, (I did), she began to examine my only pole to see whether the barbs had been filed off. One had a little lump on it (my fading eyesight couldn't see it), but she insisted it was there, but even she realized how absurd this all was becoming and decided it wasn't worth pursuing. But some of the rangers are downright helpful, with sound hints on where and how to catch these illegal aliens.
If you don't mind using down riggers at 60 feet or lead lines, you can really catch lake trout - some are beginning to approach 20 lbs. Beautiful fish and good eating. Having strayed off your original topic, Jay & Jolee, how is this for a C-Dory trip. In 1997 I circumnavigated Montana's Fort Peck Lake (Missouri River impoundment) with the Far West II. At full pool, Fort Peck has about 1,500 miles of shoreline, and it is scenic and remote. Biggest problem is finding gas for that kind of trip. Perhaps we will get together again in Yellowstone this summer?

Yellowstone John

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
The Hungry Ocean was a much better book than Perfect Storm. I have trouble reading books written by people with obvious lack of knowledge of the subject. That was the case with the author of Perfect Storm. Not sure he'd ever even been aboard a boat before. If so it wasn't evident in his writing.

Plus Hungry Ocean had some good pointers in it. Like new and creative ways to use curry powder.

With my own very little knowledge on the subject I found both books interesting, informative and enjoyable though much different in what they were conveying to the reader. The Hungry Ocean being about someone who was at the very pinnacle of their obviously tough and dangerous profession and sharing it with the reader where as The Perfect Storm was more a journalist account of a once in a century storm "The Perfect Storm" and its effect on one boat and crew in particular with a more general effect on the town and people they come from with a few good rescue stories concerning others and the Coast Guard included.

Without Sebastian Junger's account of the The Perfect Storm, I don't believe The Hungry Ocean would ever have been written and I would have missed out on two good books.

Agree on the curry powder. Poor boat crew newbie thought his toes were toast for sure. Laughing

Yellowstone John

Waiting on spring for the Perko Fender gizmos installation. Thanks again for sending them to us. We plan on spending the first two weeks of Sept this year at Bridge Bay, so no doubt will see you there. September is our favorite time of the year in Yellowstone. Have you added a auto pilot after our demo ride?

Did some research on that area of the Missouri River and Fort Peck Lake when planning a RIB trip from Judith Landing at conjunction of the Judith and Missouri Rivers to Fort Peck Lake and back. Fort Peck Lake sure qualifies in my view as a seldom seen place by c-dory. That lake is known for high winds and its remote portions. We hope to cruise it too after retirement.

Jay

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
When we moved to Wyoming it was into a isolated one room log cabin with my wife and three young boys ages three to nine. Had electrical power, but no TV or phone.

Jay -when Terri & I started out (35 yrs ago) we moved into a similar cabin. A 20x24 cabin overlooking a waterfall on a creek next to an old railroad. No power, no phone, no running water. We would put penny’s on the RR tracks for entertainment. Have good memories from the time there.

We have decided to build another cabin, this time on our farm about a half mile up our creek. It will also overlook a small waterfall in a fairly steep and narrow valley with lots of large mossy trees. It looks like a small version of the Olympic Rain Forest. From the end of October until the second week of February the sun will never shine on the cabin because of the steepness of the canyon walls and the large trees.

It will not have power or phone service but I will develop a spring above the site, so we will have running water. Terri says when it is finished she will spend more time there than in the farm house.

________
Dave
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Hope you have that cabin built in a couple of years. Would love to stop by meet you and Terri and see the cabin and farm on one of our trips through when we're retired.

Have lived in many wonderful places but our time in the cabin which we moved into in a Wyoming January with the young boys was tops in good past family memories.

Jay
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay -the cabin should be completed this summer.

You and Jolee don’t have to wait until you retire to stop by. Lots of large out of the way lakes and rivers to explore in Washington and there is Puget Sound and the Pacific.

I am retired but still work over 70 hours a week, however I would take time off if you two were to visit this area.

My contact information is here.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: