View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Internet access from the boat? Reply with quote

Seasons Greetings all, I've been looking to upgrade my computer and it occured to me it would be great to have internet access on Adeline. So now I'm looking @ wi-fi capable laptops. There is some limited info. on the net about hotspots, hotzones, and wi-fi marinas. I'm wondering if this technology is ripe enough to justify. Issues such as range and availability are a concern. Do any C-brats have experience with this. Pete
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverage with 802.11b (the most common wireless systems used in hotels, homes, coffee shops, etc.) will be be spotty, at best. The range of wireless access points is limited. You're almost guaranteed to never have a signal unless you're at a modern marina, and even then, I'm guessing those with wireless access points are far and few between. You'll see reference to other, newer 802.11 specs, i.e. 802.11a or 802.11g - I'd avoid them. Yes, they are faster, but you'll have more compatibility issues with the access points they connect to. Also, with very few exceptions, the connection between the access point and the Internet is slower than 802.11b; therefore, the added speed of 802.11a and 802.11g buys you nothing, as it can't be used.

A better, but far from ideal solution is something that uses the cellular networks; the service plans and equipment are expensive, and they are slow - nothing like the speed of 802.11. However, you do get much better coverage. We use this technology for many of our field personnel, and it is adequate - Sierra Wireless AirCards are what we install in our laptops.

As for the laptop itself - the most important feature you should consider when buying for wireless connectivity - the battery life. Both 802.11 and AirCards drain the battery quickly; get one with long life, and get a spare battery. This is also a reason I prefer 802.11 add-in cards instead of getting a laptop with it integrated; if you're not using the wireless capability, you simply pop the card out, and your battery lasts longer.

Also, investigate the 12V power source requirements - most laptops can't use it natively, they require an inverter. If you can find one that simply requires a 12v adaptor, that would be a big plus for a laptop being used in a boat.

Good luck...

Cheers

C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NEC Laptop works with a 12vdc adapter.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more precise - most new laptops don't support 12v with just a simple adaptor, but it wasn't always this way. For whatever reason, things changed a couple years back - we used to get $30 cigarette lighter adaptors for all our laptops at work, as the internal batteries were all 9-12V. Now, they are all 15V+, and require small inverters. This is the case with Dell's, and a couple other brands we looked into last year.

Cheers - is your NEC a recent model? If so, that's a good lead...
Islander

City/Region: Channel Islands Harbor
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Islander
Photos: Islander
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bill, the cellular technology is the best in terms of availability; even though it is not the fastest. One of my business associates hooks his cell phone to his notebook computer and the cell phone becomes the wireless modem. It connects via a USB port and seems to work very nicely. I will probably implement that myself. The advantage of your cell phone being the modem would seem to eliminate the draining of the notebook battery if you had a PCMCIA type modem.

I have the 802.11b card installed in my notebook too. Its great for being wireless around the house. In have also used it in airports and hotels. The draw back is finding those hot spots when on the road. Starbucks has 802.11b

Cheers

C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Cheers
Photos: Cheers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Bill. My NEC is not a recent model & I was not aware of the change. Still, it may be worthwhile to search manufacturers web sites. Seems to me I've seen adapters advertised for some laptops but don't recall which ones.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here is a link to a voltage adapter to run laptops on 12 volt systems.

http://user.gru.net/n4uau/kits/Voltage%20booster%20page/apvb-kit.htm

I don't know if this adapter is any good or not. Can any of our electronics experts evaluate it?

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: WiFi opportunities... Reply with quote

We recently completed 2 months on the Inside Passage. As usual, finding places to get online was a challenge, but I accidently found several "WiFi" hotspots in places I didn't expect. The challenge is to know where to look!

Interestingly enough several other cruisers seems to trade local WiFi hotspot tips that are often useful. The "hotspots" seems to come in two varieties: (1) the encrypted locations such as coffeeshops and internet-cafe type places that give you a password and charge for use of their signal, and (2) "open" WiFi sites that have a wireless system for public, business or personal use. Again, finding them is the challenge.

One friend gave me a WiFi "tip" and sure enough I was able to get a good unencrypted signal in the middle of a parking lot in Sitka, AK. I put the laptop on top of a dumpster, and happily clicked-away doing the monthly banking. The looks from curious passersby were priceless. I found the use of a convenient coverstory placated most folks who didn't have a clue as to what a WiFi-is. Most seemed happy when I told then I was doing a traffic-density-study for the State of Alaska. People don't necessarily want the truth - they just want their curiosity answered. Happily, I found the same signal was very strong in the "Pioneer Bar" across from the parking lot, so I promptly went in and got a table and a coffee (and avoided the smell of the bumspter...). It was 11AM and when an early-shift drunk came by the table I heard him slur something about: "...gee's (not his real word), now you can't even go to the bar to get away from the (f****) computers..."

I also got online at the Prince Rupert Yacht Club, and a hotel lobby in Petersburg, AK. Interestingly enough I got a good signal, but was unable to get online, at Baranof Warm Springs.

WiFi is here to stay. Some businesses are selling access, other's are using free-access as a means of attracting customers (hotels/motels, etc.). (Soon, all of the District of Columbia is reporting it will be a WiFi hotspot as a means of attracting business people, etc.)

Kensington makes a WiFi Finder ( http://www.kensington.com/html/3720.html ) but early reports on it's realiability are rather spotty. Do a search for "Kensington Wifi" and you'll see several evaluations.

Happy WiFinding...!

Casey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: