The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Manuals, Checklists and that sort of thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the operation/safety checklists, I find a list of equipment/supplies/personal items to be absoloutly invaluable.

The next step is to equip the boat with all that stuff on board at all times in the marina so that all you have to do is drive there, step on board, and back out of the slip.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duke

City/Region: Old Saybrook
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Happy Ours
Photos: Happy Ours
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Pre-Season Checklist Reply with quote

Pre-Season Checklist:

After a long winter, nothing beats the anticipation of taking the boat out for the first time. You've spent nights lying awake thinking about it. You're sick of freezing your butt off and shoveling snow just to get your car out of the driveway.
But if you just throw off the canvas cover, gas it and go, it could be a recipe for disaster.
For example, motor oil exposed to the by-products of combustion continues to break down even if the engine doesn't run for months. The oil loses the benefits of viscosity and its cooling and lubricating qualities.
We know of one fellow who took out his 455 Oldsmobile-powered jet boat after a long winter, fired it up and went ripping across his lake. Before he ever made it to the opposite shore, the engine had spun number one and two rod bearings and began hammering out its sickening metallic symphony.
Changing the oil is just part of the preseason routine. Outlined below are some key points to cover during your post winter inspection. Time spent checking these areas now will go a long way toward boating enjoyment all summer long.

Inspect plastic through-hull fittings for cracks and replace any that are suspicious. Look for hoses that have been forced off or split from freezing. Every spring, boats sink at the dock because these problems go undetected until the first heavy rain.

Inspect dock and anchor lines for chafing. Replace deteriorated zinc anodes.

Inspect fuel fittings and hoses. Replace if cracked or showing signs of stress.

Inspect the hull for cracks and blisters. Consult a professional if you see a problem.

Check lights on boat and trailer. Inspect trailer tires for wear and inflate properly. Check the trailer frame for rust spots. Inspect the wheel bearings and repack if necessary. Test the winch and cable.

Creamy brown or gray engine or drive oil has water in it, and a technician should find the source of the leak before your first trip.

Through-hull fittings below the water line should be tight. Sea valves should operate freely.

Some other points of consideration before taking that first cruise of the new season are:

Check expiration dates on all flares and fire extinguishers and replenish the first-aid kit.

Update your navigational chart inventory. Channel markers and buoys change.

Review your boat insurance policy and update coverage if necessary.

Get fresh batteries for portable electronic gear: radios, handheld GPS, flashlights and so on.

Brush up on boating safety.

GO C-Dory/C-Ranger!
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
State or Province: WA
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - seem to have lost that reply. Everybody is right on and keep up the good suggestions. Float plans are always a good idea and if you are out of high school and no longer know everything there is to know about everything, a list of what's on board is very valuable. We've maintained such a list and a second to remind us what to take back to the boat. We've never gotten to the fully stocked stage but like the idea of it. And I couldn't agree more with Duke - a pre-season check of the boat and review of the rules, etc is a very good way to begin the season.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what should definitely be checked on the trailers before towing? The manufacturer's recommendations seem a bit excessive.

Old Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now up to version 3 something of a checklist for the R-25 - at least my R-25. After some editing and a two column format, it fits on one page. It is still a work in progress but it's getting closer. The format and how much to post in the boat is still TBD.

I would attach the one page version to this message but I have yet to figure out how to attach a file to a message in this forum (it tells me I can't).

So, if anyone is interested, knows how to post an attachment, and is authorized to do so, I'd be happy to send the checklist via email for you to enter into the forum. There may be a couple others that are interested.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut and paste into a new message. That would work for me, at least. Unless you have lots of checkboxes, etc. I would not need the WP formatting.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Old Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Warren. Sure that will work. Not as neat as adding a one page file as an attachment but ....... Here it all is. Still a work in progress.

RANGER R-25 CHECKLISTS

Version 3.1, 6/18/07, RAS

BEFORE TOWING

1. Inside
a. No loose items
b. Cabinet doors closed
c. Fridge door secure
d. All switches off
e. Batteries off
f. Windows / hatches closed
2. Salon door locked
3. Battery main and inverter off
4. VHF antennae down/locked
5. Transom gate latch taped shut
6. Straps secure
7. Drain plug in
8. Ladder up
9. Tires / bearings okay
10. Hook-up complete
11. Lights checked

BEFORE LAUNCHING

1. Weather forecast okay
2. Launch ramp okay
3. Adequate fuel / water
4. Hydraulic fluid level okay
5. Thru hulls open (3)
6. Sea water filter clean
7. Bilge clean
8. Salon door open
9. Fenders / lines in place
10. Straps off
11. Electrical unhooked
12. Ladder up
13. DRAIN PLUG IN
14. Tailgate down
15. Truck in 4-wheel

BEFORE STARTING ENGINE

1. Main battery switch on
2. Inverter switch on
3. Battery switches on
4. Throttle idle

BEFORE LEAVING DOCK

1. Dinghy secure
2. Oil pressure normal, cooling water
from exhaust, alternator functioning,
engine temp okay
3. HULL
a. All hatches and ports closed.
b. Trailer pigtail inside
c. VHF antennae up and locked
4. ELECTRICAL
a. AC switches off
b. DC switches
(1) GPS/chartplotter on
(2) Depth sounder on
(3) Autopilot on
(4) Trim tabs on
(5) Water pressure on
(6) Fridge on
c. Chartplotter set
d. Windlass master switch on
e. Radio on
5. Shore power cord off
6. Thrusters on and checked
7. Rudder centered
8. Current, wind, traffic checked
9. Retrieve dock lines

AT THE DOCK

1. Secure dock lines
2. Adjust fenders as appropriate
3. Turn off instruments / radio
4. Connect AC power line
5. Electrical
a. Check polarity / master on
b. Switches on:
(1) Inverter
(2) Fridge
(3) Battery charger
(4) Hot water
(5) AC outlets
c. Turn off DC circuits not in use
6. CHECK ENGINE OIL 10 MINUTES
AFTER SHUTDOWN
Old Dog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final post on this subject.

Those few interested have either looked at a copy here or asked for a version via email.

There will always be changes, of course, but it's far enough along to put in place. Here's what I've done.

The sections covering "Before Towing" and "Before Launching" have been expanded to 14 font (to avoid needing to put the glasses on), laminated and fastened to the vertical post on the trailer. Seems like a good place for this to review as a reminder before towing and launching.

The short little list for "Before Starting Engine" - kind of silly but put a copy just aft of the thruster panel. Should remember to look at it.

The two lists for "Before Leaving Dock" and "At the Dock" have been condensed as follows, package wrapping taped together (cheap laminate for inside), velcro added so that they will stick to a couple of velcro patches next to the fuel gauge. So - one side prior to leaving, one side after arriving.

So - this will help and it's the best I could come up with. Hope it helps. The three sure signs of old age are loss of memory and - and - and - I can't remember the other two.

Condensed checklist versions:

BEFORE LEAVING DOCK
1. Dinghy secure
2. Hatches/ports/pigtail inside/antennae up
3. ELECTRICAL
a. AC switches off / DC switches set
b. Chartplotter set / radio on
c. Windlass master switch on
4. Thrusters on and checked
5. RUDDER CENTERED
6. Current, wind, traffic checked

AT THE DOCK
1. Chartplotter / radio off
2. ELECTRICAL
a. DC switches off except water pressure
b. Check polarity / AC master on
c. AC Switches on:
Inverter – Fridge – Battery Charger
Hot water - Outlets
3. CHECK ENGINE OIL 10 MINUTES
AFTER SHUTDOWN
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

???? Is there a bilge blower on the R25? If so, I would suggest adding it to "BEFORE STARTING ENGINE" [ and after refueling at the dock].

You may also want to add to check your fire extinguishers for mounting security and charge/condition.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Old Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. No bilge blower. I think I've only seen a bilge blower on one single engine diesel I've used although I'm sure it's not uncommon. My understanding is that given the difference in volatilty between gasolone and diesel, it's generally not considered to be a high risk. With the standard R-25 with no propane, the risk is probably even less.

Agree with your comment about checking the fire extinquishers but it's something I do a couple times a year, not every time. Checklists need to be relevant.

As a high time ex-pilot, I believe in checklists. I know that failing to follow them has caused innumerable accidents. I know that it's the simple things forgotten that get you in trouble. A screw-up flying can kill you. Most of the time, a screw-up boating results in maintenance dollars and down time. I'm trying to avoid both. Like when young, I have a perfect memory. Unfortunately, it's much shorter than it used to be - therefore - I have to write it down. Many folks don't have to.
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thought from this old flight crew member... I have a note for me to check all the windows are closed before leaving the boat. I have left the head and small cabin windows open twice and now have it on my list.

I also have to remind myself to lower the VHF Ant. before the boat is put in dry storeage.

Art
ka1rx
Sea Angel
Old Dog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Bellingham, Dave from Sea Shift was nice enough to help get Mood Magic on the trailer and ready for the trip home. He suggested I post a couple photos showing where I placed the checklists described in an earlier posting.

In the Mood Magic album, there is a subalbum titled "Checklists" that contains two photos. One shows the "Before Towing" and "Before Launching" checklists mounted on the trailer. The other shows the instrument panel with a small and probably useless "Before Starting Engine" checklist and the reversible, Velcro attached one that has condensed versions of "Before Leaving the Dock" on one side and "At the Dock" on the other.

Just one way of doing it. Hope it helps someone.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dog – I like the location of your checklist for “before towing” & “before launching”. Another idea I will have to steal from this site. It is so easy to forget something and a note pad or check list is easy to misplace or is in an inconvenient location.

Thanks for the info and location pictures.

________
Dave
Old Dog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in March when I started this particular topic, I mentioned that I would eventually develop my own manual for Mood Magic. This is one of those tasks that will never really get done but I've put together enough stuff to label it version 1. When I get to 99, I quit.

It's just a start and it's not necessarily generic for the R-25 but if you are interested in taking a look at it and using it as a starting point to develop your own, send me an email. The document is too large and of too little general interest to post.

The current version of the manual is 17 pages. There are 14 pages of attachments that are not all specific to the R-25 but are things that I want with my version of the manual. I can email with or without the attachments, your choice. It is a Word document.

If interested, you can send me a PM or email me direct at:
rsjolander@comcast.net.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: