The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Autopilot Systems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Autopilot Systems Reply with quote

The pros and cons of installing and using an Autopilot system on a C-Dory.

The Raytheon SportPilot Plus seems to be the most popular choice for the CD 22. Are there other models in the price range that are an equal or better fit?

Dusty - Now that I have just about talked myself into saving all that money on the GPS, how about you try to talk me into an Autopilot?

I do have a couple of questions about the system. It seems to me I would get a lot of use out of it when trolling in the river. There have been lots of times I have been trolling against the river current and puposely making little headway. Sometimes even sitting still (don't want to cross that magic line at Buoy 10). Even though you aren't going anywhere, there are frequent steering corrections needed. Would the autopilot take care of that? I mean, will it keep the boat straight when you're making 4 mph water speed and 0 gps?

I could also use it at cruising speed quite a bit, but probably not enough to spend the money for it. Whether they're holding the wheel or not, I would feel uneasy if someone was not at the helm all the time when cruising in the Columbia. Lots of things can be floating out there. So, if the answer to the previous question is no, then it's probably off my list.

I notice there is a different Sportpilot model for hydraulicly steered outboards vs. mechanical. Don't both Sportpilot models function by turning the steering wheel shaft? What's the difference?

I would appreciate advice from any of you experienced with the autopilot on a C-Dory.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

The SportPilot model for hydraulically steered ouboards comes with a linear feedback sensor; the standard model does not. They both physically 'steer' the same way.

I don't have personal experience with the SportPilot models, only the ST5000+. The ST5000 will hold a course just fine at 4 kts or less and I would expect the SportPilot to do the same. Whether or not it can keep you over a desinated spot is the $64 question ... Say you establish your spot and engage the autopilot; it will hold the heading you're on. Then let's say the current or wind grabs the nose and you drift off to port, the autopilot will go to work to bring the boat back to your chosen heading. However, it doesn't care that you may now be a 100' (or 75' or 1/2 mile or whatever) off to port of where you started; it's just happy to be back "on heading".

This is the difference between engaging the autopilot to track a "heading" or to track a "course". The course information comes from the gps in tracking to a particular waypoint; this takes into account cross-track information and will keep you centered on the proper course. For the system to work for you it seems you would need to enter a waypoint at some distance ahead of the boat (I'd say within a 1/4 mile or so). You can't be "on" the waypoint because then the GPS has nothing to track to (since you're already there) and the area of accruracy is too great to keep you right on your spot.

As long as the system can respond quickly enough it should do pretty well. I know the ST5000 would as it's very quick (especially with the hydraulic pump) and has options for setting the response time, the center "dead zone' and the sensitivity. You may be able to download the operator's manual on the SportPilot Plus from Raymarine or other sources to see if it has some options that will help you.

Heck, chuck the old push-pull cable steering system overboard, install the Teleflex BayStar hydraulic steering system, add the ST5000+ and you're all set.

Les

Ok...........!

Chivita came with the Baystar hydraulic system and twin Honda 40 horses. I had the Factory mount the Sportpilot + for hydraulic steering but the linear feedback sensor that comes with the Sportpilot + for hydraulic systems does not connect to the Baystar system. So far I do not yet have a "fix" but my father and I are working to get it all figured out. So far I have discovered that the Baystar hydraulic system that the factory installed is not designed for twin motors, according to the Baystar web site. Oopps! My father has found a different sensor via Raymarine that is a rudder based feedback arm, we believe this will replace the "linear feedback sensor". West Marine sells this rudder based sensor for an additional $300+ and from what se can tell it is more accurate than the linear one. Hopefully I can get this connected this weekend and test it out. If we can get this to function well, I will post photos and prices.

Ho Ron,

Don't despair! I installed the linear feedback on C-Salt which had the BayStar hydraulic steering. The palstic spacers and the stainless clamps work just as on the SeaStar to hold the linera feedback unit. It's at the end where the "U" bracket goes that you have to get creative. I essentially wrapped a piece of stainless (maybe 1/2" wide) around the shaft to replace the "U" bracket that comes with the feedback device to form a finger. The finger was then fastened (clamped) to the end of the steering ram. It worked really well. I didn't take photos (wish I had) but I can do up a drawing if you like. I've got to do it again pretty soon (CD22 with twin Honda 40's, BayStar steering and ST5000+ autopilot) and can take photos then.

The only reason that the BayStar isn't "for" twins is because they haven't come out with tie bar kits. I had an in-depth conversation with the techs at Teleflex and they assured me that there is no problem using the BayStar to control twin engines (150hp maximum); you're just on your own to come up with the tie bar. Turns out the Honda BF40 factory steering plate and the Honda tie bar work just fine with the BayStar cylinder.

Les

So what is the recomended autopilot to use while running? Is there any consideration for which system to use given the speed you plan to use it?
I plan to control my main motor but have a tie bar for my kicker when trolling so this could kill two birds with one perverbial stone, right?
How much should I expect to pay and how much of a bear cat are these contraptions to install?

Ray,

I do not yet have enough hours on Chivita to give you a good answer on the sportpilot plus install on our 22' as the second I take my hands of the wheel, our two first mates take over. My father has built several boats that he has installed the sportpilot system on and he has had great success with them. He is building another boat and plans on trying the next higher model (ST5000?) due to Les's recommendations.

Although I had the factory install Chivita's autopilot, my dad says it's not difficult, just takes about a day if you are taking your time to do it all right the first time. You can download all the info from the Raytheon website and their tech support is decent as well. My father has purchased his through West Marine and they have been great at answering questions as well.

You can also get two different remote controls for the sportpilot, the lower priced one works great for the money. It is not a wireless style which is good because I'd loose it in a minute. The wire length is long enough that you could fish and steer at the same time from outside of the cabin. My parents do this from the front of their houseboat, they just sit on their chairs out on the deck and cruise all over the local lakes.

Thanks Dave, now all I need ia a great deal on one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: