The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Transom mounted transducer on Port Side?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Transom mounted transducer on Port Side? Reply with quote

I understand the preference for the transducer to be on the starboard side to reduce propeller induced bubbles (assuming RH rotation) but cosmetically I'd prefer to put the transducer under the swim step.

Anyone done this? Don't want a zillion holes back there that have to be filled.

-- Chuck
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck...

I had to take my boat back to C-Dory for the zillion hole make-over.

I live in a cold climate where snow is common in the winter. Every spring I had to box up the depth finder, pull out the transducer cable & transducer and send it all back to Furuno. They would send back a new transducer that had been tuned to the depth finder and everything was great again.

I moved it all around and still had the spring thing to contend with. Yes, I'm getting around to your answer. I finally called Furuno and asked "What am I doing wrong?" They finally got around to telling me what the problem MIGHT be.

They said, "What is probably happening is that the crystal inside the transducer is getting very cold in the shade & when the sun hits the cold transducer directly, it pops the crystal inside. They recommended going to a thru hull Crying or Very sad transducer. Shocked I'd rather drill a hole thru my leg!!! Having had some experience working in a boat shop, I decided to take on the task myself (my dad always preached, "If you want it done right, do it yourself". This is NOT always true!!!).

I mounted the transducer thru hull on the port side infront of the fuel tank for protection from peoples feet. Haven't had a problem since. I'm approx. 6 to 8 inches inside of the portside reversed chine and I can get a great picture at speed. When you see the fish he's already out in back of you a 100 feet or so.

Be sure and do your research, it is complicated! (many sand traps)

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: