The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Electric Crab Pot Puller/Down Rigger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Electric Crab Pot Puller/Down Rigger? Reply with quote

From: Mr. Fisherman (Original Message) Sent: 12/24/2002 4:18 PM
I see there is a new model electric crab pot puller that doubles duty as a down rigger. Does anyone have the low down on this contraption? I can just about justify laying out some more boat money for a piece of gear like that.
Thanks in advance...

Ray -

I moved your post over here. If that contraption doesn't qualify as a Cocpit Gadget, I don't know what does! I hope you don't mind. I would expect this section to get a lot of info about downriggers, pot pullers, and the like over time.

Thanks,

Mike

No problemo Mike....
Thanks for the guidence....

Ray -

That has to be a pretty husky unit. Do you have any info at all on it, like who the manufacturer is or where they sell the things?

Downriggers are something I have thought about. Who knows, maybe I'll replace my vanished crab pot and look at something like this. As nice as the water has been around here the past two fall/early winters, maybe I need to extend my boating season.

Mike

E-Z Puller is comming out with an electric Crab Pot Puller/Down rigger with a 3 piece stowable davit assembly. I suspect they will be under $1000 but who knows? They are high on my list of things to investigate at the Boat Shows. I'm not sure I'll make the shows now that I have boating to do an dwas hoping to get some info here....

Oh Sure!!!!!
I plan a long weekend and travel 250 miles to meet some new C-Brats and they say they don't think they have time for the show cause of some new boat they want to go out in. ....LOL.... OK if that is the way you want to be, see if I care !!!!!!!!...lol...
Ray, you will be at the show on the 4th won't you!!!!!
Roger on the SENSEI

Roger, if it means that much to you I'll see what I can do.
I have been looking forward to meeting more of you all too.
I do have to pick my wife up from the airport that morning. I know my son is raring to go on our annual pilgrimage to the Burrito House for dinner after the show.
Maybe they will have a great deal on a mount for my new radar or a boat cover or a crab pot / down rigger.... O.K. Roger, lets plan on meeting at the C-Dory display at 2:00 - 2:30 on Saturday the 4th. What do ya say to that?
Boy will my wife be excited that I'm going boat jewlery shopping after she's been gone for a week. She'll likely need the rest anyway .

Well, I found it and also the true meaning of the acronym B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand .
The crab pot puller/Down Rigger combo is available. 15 are already on boats with good reviews. They are commercial duty and will handle a 50# ball for very deep trolling, up to 400 feet! It dosen't have a line counter, yet. The inventor is recomending cable that is colored for a specific depth. For instance 6 fathoms could be 1, 2 or 3 colors. You have to order the cable to suit your needs.
The pot puller is very durable and has been tested to 130#. It is not available in the 3 piece configuration as the cable used with a down rigger ball (Up to 50#!) eventually wears the pin holes. We discussed using sleeves and other options but it looks like you just have to buck up (about 1200 times) and use a 1 piece davit.
Are ya ready to go get one? Great. It will run about $296.45 for the downrigger option and another $785.00 for the electric pot puller. You can find out more at:
http://www.cushmanboats.com/page4.html I had to call to to get the info. They were very helpful on the phone. Darned if that just isn't too much for my blood. I still gotta put gas in the boat but someday I might want to troll at 400' . If it had a limit switch to stop the motor when the ball came up I'd have to consider it for at least another ten minutes. ..
So, I found a pot puller that dosen't have to be permanently attached to your crab rope! It's called a Ankr Yankr, yes that is how it's spelled. You can order one at http://www.trailcreekinc.com/ankrynkr.htm for just under $40.
Here is a pic

It looks like it will do the trick and it gets past having to put a $40 to $80 dollar puller on each pot. This one slips over the crab pot or anchor rope and functions like an E-Z anchor puller. I think I'm going to try one of these and buy an electric down rigger with a stop.
With the difference I might go to Costa Rica to chase Billfish with my buddies, or stock up on the twin brew for a night at the dock or on anchor.
The E-Z puller downrigger/Crab Pot Puller would be a slick system if you could afford it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: