The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Some questions about buying a used c-dory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Sharkey

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Some questions about buying a used c-dory. Reply with quote

I am looking at a couple of older boats (22') to purchase. One is a 1983 and the other one is a 1987. I understand the hull changed in 1987 which resulted in a smother ride. The 83' is in very good condition and I haven't seen the 87 yet. My question is this; is the ride that much better with the new hull design? Also, how is the ride in a C-dory? I haven't been in one yet.

Dave
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I purchased a 1983 Angler a few years ago. The only problem was that the top of the transom was split, and when I purchased a new engine, I had it rebuilt.

The 1983's with their flat bottom, are a little bouncy when in rough water. The newer hulls cut the water better.

If you get a 4 stroke engine, as I did, you will find that the stern was not really designed for the additional weight. The waterline dropped about 2 to 3 inches. The running of the boat is no problem. It still runs well.

The 1983's access to the forward bunks is much better. It is more wide open.

Good luck.

Fred

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early boats were true semidory--that is flat from the point where the stem meets the chine. l The Dory/semidory have rocker in the hull in the fore and aft direction.

The newer boats have a V entry, which tends to pound a little less.

A semidory is a different hull form that a V (most of which have variable deadrise--the amount of "V" varies from the bow to the stern--the actual angle of deal rise is measured at the stern)--and goes from flat in a C Dory to 26 degrees in a Regulator. The Steeper the V, the rougher water the boat can go into at speed. The V takes more power, and has a higher speed to get on a plane. The flat bottom aft C Dory uses a fraction of the power and gets on a plane or semi plane at much lower speeds. If you get in really rough, at some point the deep V will also have to slow down--but it cannot stay on a plane below (for example) 22 knots--so it mushes and is very ineffecient pushing large amounts of water--The semi dory will plane at 10 to 12 miles an hour--and just go over these larger waves like a cork--actually making better speed in some conditions than the deep V.

The Deep V is less stable to roll--the wide flat bottom of the C Dory tends to dampen the roll.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-

You'll probably find the interior ammenities difference between the Classic and the more modern Cruiser greater than the ride differential.

Here is a comparison I wrote a year or so ago between the Classic and the "87 and later Cruiser:

Most of us have the 1987 or later models. Those of us with the Cruisers love them for their interior amenities: galley, sink, dinette, convertible berth, private v-berth, etc. This is a conventional design that sells exactly because it has appeal to the couple/family buyer and requires little modification for most uses.

The '87 and later Angler, the more direct descendant of the Classic CD, is more like the original boat with a larger cockpit and a more spartan interior. The factory for a while even offered a Sport Fisher (I think that's the term) which is more of a day-use fishing boat without the rear cabin bulkhead and more dedicated seating. This is no longer available as a new boat.

The original Classic design probably seemed a little unorthodox and less immediately appealing to potential customers. The open rear sides of the cockpit and narrow central engine well don't look like a typical purpose designed fishing boat at the boatshow. The interior lacks finished definition of space and is missing the elements of spousal appeal and privacy that create the consensus necessary to write the down payment check. And the absolutely flat, seemingly cut off bottom was to most an enigma that just left most shoppers wondering. Thus the re-design of the boat for 1987.

But, having looked at and considered this design for a good number of years, it makes more and more sense, especially for use as a dedicated fishing machine.

The large and very open cockpit has loads of room and can be modified to accommodate a lot of fishing, crabbing, and other equipment. Rods, nets, livewells, fishboxes, traps, davits, dingies- maybe you can't have them all, but you can have more of them than with a two foot shorter cockpit with closed transom corners.

Internally, the cabin can be modified as needed for your specific needs. Lots of room there to tailor the boat to your fishing/boating plans. A
project person's dream with a few tools and a some time.

The hull's secrets are usually untold. The absolutely flat bottom rocks somewhat less at rest than a shallow v. ( and a lot less than a deep v, which the CD's are not). It planes relatively easily, like the shallow V of the later boats, and sets flat on a mud or sand bottom with the tide out, so you won't want roll out of bed when the tide takes it leave, or need a gimballed stove for breakfast. Plus, it's draft should be even shallower than the shallow V.

Overall, it appears the Classic C-Dory was very carefully and cleverly designed as a utility fishing boat with a lot of adaptability, but not very well understood by the public after the typical quick glance or look at the boatshow or dealer's lot. Probably even a good explanation of the boats qualities and design solutions by a salesman would be met with unsettled indecision unless the prospective buyer had a wealth of knowledge and experiences with fishing boats of this size and purpose.

But that's not to say that we can't today appreciate these Classic C-Dorys for what they are and how they can be used. As a dedicated fishing boat for a person who knows what they're going to do with the vessel and can determine how it fits their needs, it may be a very good fit. Especially if one likes projects and has the time to do the work. As such a boat like this actually provides a second hobby of boat modification that is entertaining in its own right.

If you'd like to see just how far this type of endeavor can lead, look at Red Fox's 1985 Classic C-Dory on the link on the left menu. Fortunately, the approach can be enjoyed fully at a somewhat less intense level as well.

That just about does it, but I thought I'd just share these ideas with you for your consideration and amusement. Good luck!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Joe, that is an old post. Dave, the link to the Red Fox site isn't there any more but you can find him, and his site, by googling "Red Fox C-Dory". Greg has done more with that boat than most of us put together.

Welcome to this site!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
Boy Joe, that is an old post.
Charlie

Sept. 27, 2004 to be exact!

Actually, I've written up comparisons between the Classic and the later Cruisers 4-5 times before, so just looked up the topic with the Search Engine and this was the one I found first. Some of these topics recurr at intervals of 2 months to 2 years, or so. Easier to look it up than write it again.... Joe.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Joe..

That just brought you from self pleasure to self plagiarism.
That aint all bad at your age ... Mr. Green I do enjoy your insite.

Yep.. it is a sign of age on site when we have ran down the roads of re-do topics.. but, it is good to see if we missed things.

I am amazed at just how many post a day now happen...and go away for a week or three...and it is simply unreal.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
WOW Joe..

That just brought you from self pleasure to self plagiarism.
That aint all bad at your age ... Mr. Green I do enjoy your insite.

Yep.. it is a sign of age on site when we have ran down the roads of re-do topics.. but, it is good to see if we missed things.

PATRICK-

I'll take that as a compliment (and try not to read too many levels of meanings into it!).

Now as far as digging up an older post to answer a question, I figure as long as I do it above board and admit it, it ain't too bad, and certainly better than trying to answser the question again with waning enthusiasm! I thought the one quoted had some ideas, insights, and style that I couldn't really recreate, either!

See Ya'll in Seattle!

Joe.

DAVE-

Get out and take a good close look at both these CD-22 models and really spend some time just sitting in them an imagining how you'll use them.

If your wife (hereafter known as THE ADMIRAL) is going to be in the boat much with you, get her to do the same with you and try to reach a consensus about your choice. Having THE ADMIRAL on board with your thinking and in practice will make the whole boating adventure much more complete, not to mention the ease with which the $$$ for the boat will magically materialize!

More questions, Captain, Sir?

Joe.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf,

Very good advice. The C-Dory will be refereed to as "our boat", not the "damn boat".

Fred
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave;
I purchased a 1981 just over a year ago and am really happy with it. The hull is sound and the cockpit spacious. The amenities are abit sparse but I have plans.. just need some cash!! I am going to put trim tabs on this winter to try and ease the pounding. I am told by this site that it will make a world of difference. I was a little unsure about buying a boat this old but am really happy I did. I really liked the original lines of the boat. If the price is right go with the 1983.
Tnx, Jimbo
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Used C-Dory Reply with quote

Gee Dave,
I agree with all of the posts. I've got an old Classic and they are about as simple and reliable as an ax. You can see everything in the boat. The big flat cockpit decreases martini spills. They are a bit lighter to tow (but not much), if that's an issue. You can geek them up to your heart's content. About the only downside is they won't handle twin motors, and the wooden bulkhead can be a pain to maintain (but I think the wooden bulkhead is cool). They do squat a bit with the heavier 4-strokes, but I don't think that's too much of a problem. If the 83 is a good deal, I'd go for it!

Mike
Dave Sharkey

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1985
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Used C-Dory Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice, it has been very helpful. After reading all your comments I think I actually prefer the older hull design. I haven't been in the water with it yet so that may change my mind.

I've just joined the C-Brats and I have to say I am quite pleased with the welcome from all on you. Hope to be chatting with you soon.

Dave
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave – let me welcome you aboard. If you ever get up to the NW corner of the states give me a shout. Would enjoy meeting you and maybe spending some time with you on the water.

As a side note, I think I may have to change my name (signature) to oldgrowth. There are too many Dave’s on this site and when I saw all those responses to Dave, I thought to myself, I don’t remember posting to this thread.

Glad to have you aboard Dave. You could not have joined a better group.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: