The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Downriggers on a 16 Cruiser?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post a couple of pics of the mounts on my 18 as soon as the site cooperates. It just sat there when I tried to add a couple of pics tonite. they are an aluminum pocket with an aluminum L bracket that just mounts to the inside of the gunnels. Sorry i don't have the name of the company off the top of my head right now but they do work slick. I added keeper pins to mine but probably not necessary.
Norm

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm,

It sounds like you are talking about the Offshore Brackets like these.

I think these are some of the best mounts made for downriggers. I had them mounted on the railing on my sled as pictured. On the 27' I may or may not put a full railing on. Either way I am going to use these mounts. They are very secure and work really well.

Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, exactly what I have minus the rail mounts. On mine the pockets are just screwed to the inside of the gunnels. with all the load on the fastners in shear they are way strong enough. (I've proved that with one bottom hangup and a busted cable)
Norm
gljjr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of what I liked about these mounts was that I can simply lift the downrigger out of the slot and store them in the garage. Also, by turning the downrigger around in the mount they then face into the boat making docking very easy. I've also used them turned in when I had to work on the downrigger. Granted you can do this with a swivel mount but it was faster and easier to just lift it up and turn it around than to swivel the downrigger.
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon--- I just ran across some new pictures of the recent Chesapeake Gathering and under the photo section for Lankford Collection is a good picture of my boat (Don Quixote) showing the down-rigger mounts. with max. enlargement you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the exact location. Page #3, bottom left hand corner, picture # 69, hopefully this will be of some help towards your installation.-------Rich
TimOb

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Honu Kai
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Mark Toland recommended getting the short booms for downriggers on a 16'er. I think the ones I put on were 20" scotty's. The shorter booms are a safety factor where problems could arise should a ball get hung up. I did lose some, but never experienced anything more than a small shudder on the boat. Having the longer booms will cantilever the forces out a bit more, don't know what the limits are though.
bncwaite

City/Region: Crockett
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Roe Boat
Photos: Time To Fish
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich..I can't seem to find your pic your speaking of? Of course its easy to get lost among all the beautiful pics.

Tim...my rigs have a 20" boom so I'm good on that aspect. Here's what I have : http://www.bigjon.com/store/list.asp?SubTypeID=22&ProductID=33
gljjr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I think this is the picture you were talking about?

bncwaite

City/Region: Crockett
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Roe Boat
Photos: Time To Fish
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic. That's what I was looking for. After careful consideration I'm going to mount em' exactly where they are on "Don Quixote". Anywhere else and it affects my camperback canvas. I knew this site would answer my questions.Thanks to all. Cool
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys--- I never saw that picture of my boat before, on close inspection, I realized it had to have been taken during the 1st Chesapeake gathering, the better one is from this year's gathering, the picture shows a close up of the boat, with a full green bimini top (thanks to some help from Pat Anderson & Catman), with a shot taken of the port side. The new pictures were posted on 7/12/06 on the Lankford Collection photo album down towards the bottom left hand side. Hopefully this will help, I just don't know how to drag that picture over to this post. Heck, I just now figured out how to work an electric typewritter and I still try to re-wind DVD'S.----Rich
fiddlersgreen6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary-- Geat job on locating that picture, can you possibly do the same procedure for the one located in the 07/12/06 album? -----Thanks--Rich
gljjr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find the picture in question. But to post a link to a picture is pretty simple.

First find the picture in the gallery and then If using Internet Explorer or Firefox Simply use the right mouse button and click on the picture. Then select "Properties". When the dialog box comes up highlight the URL for the picture (In IE it is the Address(URL) and in Firefox it is the "Location"). Copy that to your clipboard and then move to the window where you want to paste it into your post. Once you have the location you want it in your post click the button with "IMG" on it. Then paste the link and click the "IMG" button again.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bncwaite wrote:
After you cut out the floation material to reach the gunnel can you reuse the piece of material? Or re-fill with some aftermarket expanding foam or just leave it empty/hollow?

In my 19, it was just block foam. After cutting the access hatch hole out, I used a drywall saw to cut out a block of foam.

I can't really see where else on the boat the foam could be used...I just tossed it, and pretended like it was never there...

Quote:
Thanks for the great idea. Would you happen to know of any pics of this modification?

Don't have one handy of the current install on Pee Wee (our 16 Angler), but here's one from my old 19 Angler - the install is identical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: