Lewmar Pro-Fish 700 Windlass?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Lewmar Pro-Fish 700 Windlass? Reply with quote

I have been leaning towards purchasing a S/L Horizon 600 Free Fall(FF) windlass, given the strong recommendations for that particular windlass on this website. However, I have a sense that that particular windlass is being discontinued from the S/L (Lewmar) product line and it seems like in it's place the Lewmar Pro-Fish700 Freefall windlass is being offered in it's place. The Lewmar website no longer shows the Horizon600 windlass as part of it's product line on it's website, although they do still have a link to it's owner's manual. Also, major distributors like West Marine are no longer offering the Horizon 600FF. I am seeing the Horizon FF sold elsewhere on the internet, but fairly expensive ($950-$1100) once you purchase the switch, solenoid, & breaker to go with it. Like the Horizon 600FF, the Pro-Fish 700 is a "controlled" freefal windlass, and it seems to have fairly similar specs except that it is composed of stainless steel. It is also much less expensive. I have seen it for sale for as little as $650, which includes the entire installation minus wiring. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anybody had the chance to stall/use a Pro-Fish 700?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt'n Bill-

One definite advantage of the new windlass over the old would be that the manual recovery of the anchor, should the windlass fail, can be done with any common 1/2" drive ratchet wrench, as oppsed to the older Horizon 600 which required an approximately $175 specialty wrench.

The all stainless body should also be more corrosion proof as well as more attractive.

Are they replacing just the 600 FF with the Pro-Fish 700, or the Horizon 600 G and 600 D as well?

Here's a link to a press release from Lewmar on the new windlass and a new vertical model as well for those interested.

Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a writeup (special advertising section) in the May edition of Saltwater Sportsman on pages 56 and 57 on the Fisherman's Windlass by Lewmar ... pretty slick, according to the article...worth a read.
Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Pro-Fish 700 Windlass Reply with quote

Joe,

I have not actually seen anything in writing to the effect that the Horizons are being phased out. I am only deducing that from the evidence that I stated in my prior post. But yes, it appears as though the entire Horizon line may be being phased out. The HorizonG(gypsy Only) appears to be being replaced in the line with the new Pro-Series Windlasses. It's too bad, everybody who owns a Horizon, seems to have nothing bad to say about them. I guess that this means that some uf us are going to have to venture out into unfamiliar waters, to check them out.

Bill S.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caapt,n Bill-

Thanks for the reply!

One could probably call (not email) the technical rep from Lewmar and lay the question on him about what's happening to the Horizon line and get a pretty straight answer regarding why they're changing things around.

E.G., technical problems with the H-series, new developments, costs of manufactuire, etc. This would be a lot more of an honest answer than a rep at a boat show or a press release.

Maybe someone more familiar with the Horizon series can take a close look at the new Pro--Series line and see if the changes look like genuine improvements.

The S/L Lewmar Horizon windlasses have been gnerally trouble free for most all our owners over the years. You kind of wish they wouldn't mess with success!

Joe.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I listened to you, took your advice, and installed a windless and pivoting roller.

I purchased a Lemar Pro 700 for $699.00 at West, installed it by following the directions that this C-Brats Site said to do, including using the line drawing. Most important I took my time, so I would not make mistakes. I wired it to the Battery switch, because both batteries are the same, cranking batteries. My policy will be to only run the windless when the engine is running.

Because many of you complained that the anchor would not fall off the bow, I purchased the pivoting Lemar roller. The gal who runs the local West Marine referred to it as "boat jewlery".

When I return to Hingham (I am running the Inn so InnLady can play GrandMother, something she is very good at ) I shall, on the advice of Bill Ferio, install a 16# Bruce, with about 20' of chain and 300 ' of nylon.

If you think I am doing something wrong, speak now, or forever hold your peace. You guys are extremely healthful.

Thank You

Fred

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred-

Good on ya"! You can't go wrong to follow through with Bill's advice either. Let us know how it performs when it's all installed ns you have some time with it! Joe.
Rabidfish
Dealer

City/Region: Noblesville, Indiana
State or Province: IN
Vessel Name: Les Poisson Enrage'
Photos: Rabidfish
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the LEWMAR Sprint 600s in stock. I checked in the boxes and both have the manual handle included.

Are they better quality than the 700? I don't know.
Are they more expensive than the 700? yes.
What's the difference? I don't know that either!

Is it worth the difference? Hard to say... time will tell...
I'd have a hard time paying the difference...

Geeez... not much of a salesman am I ???

Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: