The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

where to start with finding a new trailer for a 22?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keweenaw2018

City/Region: Upper Peninsula
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Norppa
Photos: Keweenaw2018
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: where to start with finding a new trailer for a 22? Reply with quote

I'm looking for general advice about where to start my search for a new 22 trailer and also advice on getting rid of my old trailer.

We've been using a rusty old trailer that came with a cruiser 22 purchased in 2020. The trailer was a custom job and had sat in a yard in FL for 20 years. It has no breaks and a lot of rust.

I have no idea how to find and size a trailer. And, once we find a new one, what do we do with our price of junk old one?

I'd greatly appreciate the wisdom of anybody that has been through this.

-Hunter
Flashyfish

City/Region: Windsor
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Kraken
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: New trailer Reply with quote

I just went through this adventure.
After selecting the manufacturing company, they had me provide specific hull measurements on a company provided diagram. I then provided the total hull weight. The next thing was a discussion of bunks or rollers.
Took about 4 weeks for the build and it was delivered to my house.
I took the bunk measurements from my existing trailer and adjusted the new bunks to match. Then had a buddy help me tow both trailers to a launch ramp and did the switch. Had to make a few minor adjustments on the bow roller.

If your old trailer is really beat to death, you could haul it to a metal recycler or cut it up in pieces with a sawz all. The recycle place may not take the tires and wheels.
I would probably offer it up for free on Craigslist. If your state requires trailer registration and titles, transfer it to the new owner and wave goodbye.

My trailer was made by Kokopelli out of Arizona. All aluminum, dual axle. I had them put stainless steel brakes and rotors on it as an upgrade. Total package with delivery was $10,000.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New trailer Reply with quote

Flashyfish wrote:
...If your old trailer is really beat to death, you could haul it to a metal recycler or cut it up in pieces with a sawz all. The recycle place may not take the tires and wheels. ...

Auto recycler will probably take the trailer with the tires. Throw the whole thing in the shredder or compactor.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter,
I recently purchased a 1 year old boat, from the Northwest and it came with a trailer, that was of construction and quality, that I have not seen in years. The trailer brand is Genesis Trailer and if I wanted a trailer made to high standards, I would absolutely purchase that specific brand.
So, what do I know about trailers? Ive owned more than 75 boats and at least half of them have had trailers. I still have 6 boat trailers right now and my second favorite is a Pacific.
As to getting rid of your trailer, I second what the others have said. If you don't want to mess with it at all, advertise it in the boat parts section of Craigslist and a scraper will be certain to come get it.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our 22 single axle trailer broke, the boat was taken by a tow truck to the nearest used trailer dealer. He had several trailers which could work with repositioning of the bunks. Since the boats have an almost flat bottom, often a Pontoon boat trailer will work. We choose a trailer based on the reputation of the builder, and then the shop modified it right there by some reposition of the bunks, and lifted the boat and ran the new, used trailer under the boat, and did the final adjustments, and we were ready to go. I had purchased all new tires and spare. The hubs were good, so we were on our way again. You just have to look around and call around to find trailers which are good for around 5000#. Dual axle is best for long distance towing.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too just recently went through this. Let me say there is no less fun way to part with $10K than a boat trailer. Very important yes, but fun--no! My old early 2000s King tandem trailer was having issues and as I pulled into the shop yard one of the wheels was almost falling off. The spindle, hub was shot and with a number of other issues (brakes and hubs) it was no longer worth putting money into.
I picked an EZ Loader 4700# tandem axle bunk trailer to replace it with, for $10K CDN (about $7500 US right now). I didn't have a lot of time to shop around since I wanted to the boat ready for the season. I salvaged the bunk sliders and a couple of spare tires off the old trailer. Apparently no trade-in on 20 year old trailers with tires falling off Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: