The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Tire Pressure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The tires I had were old, but still looked good.The boat is kept in a shop when not in use, so that explains the lack of any appearance of damage to sun and weather.

Don't press your luck too much. If only short low speed runs, older tires might suffice. But I have seen too many blow outs with older tires. (6 years from date of manufacture is my limit--prefer 5 years).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

225:75R15 tyres are used on Journey On's trailer. This trailer carries a 25 which is close to twice the weight of a 22. As Jenny Katz pointed out, the standard tyres for a 22 are 205/75 15.

The sidewalls of the bigger heavier tyres would hardly flex, especially the 10 ply rated. You might switch to the smaller, lighter rated tyre.

Actually, after stopping in Red Bluff and visiting Les Schwab on our way up from San Diego for the second time to replace burst tyres, I changed to truck tyres. They flex more, but they haven't blown out yet. Apparently, Chinese trailer tyres only last for 2 years. I have several pickups which have truck tyres that have lasted over 10 years. The trick is finding a load rating which will carry the load.

Boris
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chinese trailer tyres only last for 2 years.

More "quality".

The last set I bought, from Schwab, were made in China. Like I said, they are at least 4-5 yrs old. I cover them when the boat is parked, but how much will that help? I dunno. I'll probably change them all over when I do a trailer re-build (brake lines etc) but that won't be anytime soon, as I don't have the time. I'll just cross my fingers for now. Don't do long, inter-state trips, just locally and I have a spare.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we bought a couple of tyres from Les Schwab somewhere around Hurricane, Ut on our way to Lake Powell. The tyre was free, since we had some sort of warranty. They were proud that the price had dropped from ~$80 to ~$60. We didn't pay that, but I'll bet the quality of the tyre dropped enough to allow the price cut.

I will say the blowouts have been on the Interstates. You haven't lived until you've changed a tyre next to those semis going past. They don't slow down and the wind will definitely move you. And now you're worrying that you'll make it to the next tire store before another tyre blows.

That got me to thinking that the sidewalls were too stiff, allowing the tyre to overheat and then blow at 70 mph. And that got me to think about changing to regular truck tyres, with more flexible sidewalls. I have Chinese Hankook truck tyres that have lasted for years with mostly Interstate driving.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an alternative in GoodYear Endurance ST tires which are made in the USA. I have ST225/75R15( load range E). Max inflation is 80 PSI, where they are rated to carry 2830Lbs per wheel. I inflate to 65 PSI where the rated load is 2530# per wheel. I just checked my tires and the trailer had not been towed since coming back from the Tennessee River in Sept. Pressure was in 66PSI in each tire, except one which was 67 PSI...

It would be interesting to see what the speed rating is on some of the Chinese tires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: