The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Frame Paint Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Window Frame Paint Advice Reply with quote

My new (93 Angler) has the paint chipping on the window frames. I am looking for advice on primers, type of paint, details on removing windows from someone who has taken out a few.

It appears it would be better to remove the windows in order to do a neater and better job.

All advice welcomed and some followed.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the newish windows are a powder coat finish. Check with a paint store. Aluminum can be difficult to paint.
Windows need two people to remove and install. If one were to fall and break....$$$$....$$$$.....Not cheap trust me. Avoid over tightening the screws they snap easy. I used a dewalt electric screw driver With a clutch for most of the install. You will find some clear calking under the lip on the exterior that may make removal a real pain in the ass.
Consider painting them in place.

good luck

Chris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhalerGoFar-

This is the first time I've encountered this topic on the four C-Dory sites* over the years.

Chris is dead on about what he says.

Two sources that would have fundamental understanding of the issues are the C-Dory factory and especially the manufacturer that makes the windows for them. I'd check with them and add their advice to whatever our members can come up with. Good Luck! Joe.

* old and new C-Dog sites and the MSN and this C-Brat sites.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine just went through this on his sailboat. There are 2 ways to handle this. 1. Remove the windows and take them to a place that can strip, re-anodize and powder coat them. It's not gonna be cheap but it is a fix that will probably outlast the rest of the boat. 2. Paint them yourself. Probably a more realistic fix. As an old aircraft mechanic, I've probably painted more aluminum than most. Like any paint job prep is 90% of the job. The old paint can be stripped with either a good chemical stripper or the best way is to have them plastic media blasted. Then the parts need to be etched with a phosphoric acid etch ( should be available at any good sized paint supply). Then apply a prduct called Alodine ( dupont) this provides a protective layer of artificial corrosion to the aluminum surface and helps the primer stick. Finally any good epoxy based primer followed by the topcoat. Check with the local airport, there is probably someone around that can steer you to the local sources for the materials and give a bit more detailed advice. or e-mail me and I will go into more detail without taking up too much space here. Good luck with the job!
Norm

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good information from you guys and all of you "singing from the same sheet music" leads me to only one choice....leave the windows installed and take one at a time and do the job right...then move on.

Thanks for all the quick responses.
C-Fisher

City/Region: Lake Stevens
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Fisher
Photos: C-Fisher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been painting planes at Boeing now for 20 years and might have a little more input to add. Norm is right on with what he states but I may be able to simplify it a little. Stripping would be the best way to get them clean and not remove them. Just be careful to mask off the fiberglass well. First mask with paper and tape then go over that with aluminum tape and plastic. The layers are important as the stripper gives off fumes and heat that can penetrate just paper or even just plastic. Not sure if I agree with the phosphoric acid as we only use that on old planes we strip to remove the corrosion to see how deep the pits are around the fasteners. Good old scotch brite works great for scratching the surface and it conforms to the shape of the surface to get in the corners.Once parts are stripped clean with soapy water and scotch brite to neutralize the stripper and rinse clean. Alodine works great, it is what we use but it is very nasty stuff, Cromic Acid Evil or Very Mad . A simple product that will work good enough for something that ain't gonna fly 600mph is good old vinegar. Get the aluminum wet with water so vinegar will spred even let it set for 5 min. and rinse off. Epoxy based primer is what we use and polyurethane is what you want for the topcoat. These can be bought at a good paint store. One of the two paint suppliers that we use at Boeing is called Akso Noble which now has a plant in Woodenville but not sure if they sell to the public.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that Johnny Cash song about carrying out car parts in a lunch box out of the plant each day starting to play in my head???
Note Note Note
Hummm ....
parts/paints-n-stuff?? Still can use a lunch box....or I guess today a laptop carrying case would not be as noticeable.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm.... Not sure I ever heard the song, but it sounds like it just might have been Tyboo's theme song!

Still like to listen to Johnny, too bad he's gone.

Mike's fun to talk to in his own right, always thoughtful and funny!

I trust Mike won't be singin' The Folsom Prison Blues over the magic box anytime soon.

More than a few of us have enjoyed a leftover lunch goodie from his spare time fabricating in the shop.

See ya' all at the SBS/SBC! Joe.
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: different window problem Reply with quote

My paint is fine but while closing the sliding starboard window the piece of trim on the rear edge fell off into the water....gone forever. This is the piece that moves & seals the 2 windows together.
I e-mailed the factory asking where I could get a replacement part, but haven't gotten a reply as of yet.
Does anyone know the manufacturer for part replacement....I would advise that you check your windows and make sure your strip is secured.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: