The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gel Coat In Cockpit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Gel Coat In Cockpit Reply with quote

I have noticed that the gel coat on the INSIDE of cockpit, just under the gunnel is flaking off at what looks like to be "putty spots", revealing the fiberglass. There are about two or three spots where this is happening.
I called the factory and it took several weeks of call backs and "detours", but I finally got an definitive answer. It is not under warranty (Swee Pea is a 2004) and the paint is white enamel #963-wk-307 and the tan speckle is tan enamel #948-nc-009 from Spectrum paint.
My question is two fold 1) has anyone had a similar problem with the gel coat on the inside of the cockpit blistering? 2) anyone with experience in applying the paint for repair? Is is something I can do or... another thought, would I be better off to remove the chipping paint and have it coated with Line-x instead? Any help would be appreciated.

John
Swee Pea
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John. Interesting. What did they say caused the issue? Did they have a better name for it than your accurate description of putty spots?

Byrdman
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Line-X stuff sounds good...don't know if it's a good application for it, but DO know it's lifetime guaranteed....had a couple repairs done and they were happy to fix them for me in the bed of my truck.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

Are the "putty spots" in line with the rub rail? If so, take a look at the outside too, something may have hit the boat with force (if it's popped the caps (putty)off the rivets).
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that there is a 5 year warranty on the hull????

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman:

They knew exactly what I was talking about when I described the location. If you look under the gunnel in the storage area just below where the wires run, you will see the spots I am talking about. Blistering due to poor prep of the surface prior to gel coat.
The term gel coat still gets me. They call the paint enamel but refer to it as a gel coat. Application via brush, roller, spray? Then spray the speckles on? Would seem that the factory would be a little more supportive of the problem - other than give me the phone number of the place to buy the paint. And when I called Spectrum, they didn't recognize the number. I recently got the new part number but haven't called yet. Wanted to hear from you guys first.

John
Swee Pea
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to some other questions/possibilities - the boat has not be hit with any type of force that would sustain any damage. Any minor bumping of the rub rail should not (in my humble opinion) produce the chipping.

I asked the factory about the 5 year hull warranty, they said it is for the outside gel coat and structural integrety, not the inside paint chipping as I have described.

I suppose I could call Cutter, but the distance I have to travel just to have it looked at and then for them to agree with the factory as a non-warranty item when, with some direction from you all, might simply be solved by scraping, prepping, and painting myself, doesn't seem worth it. There is NO damage to Swee Pea, just some flaking paint at those "putty spots".

John
Swee Pea
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings! Our boat has the same condition. It seems to be only at the raised spots covering the rivets holding on the rub-rail channel. I've always assumed the covering substance (putty, marine sealant, etc.) moved at a different rate than the surrounding glass structure and that the small cracks were no big deal, just cosmetic. On most boats, including many "high end" boats, these fasteners are the structural connection between hull and top, but on the Dory the two parts are glassed together. I would be very wary about installing line-X or other such spray liners. I don't know all the details but I do know gelcoats, fiberglass and other marine coatings have major compatibility issues. You could end up with a disaster on your hands! Happy boating. Mike on Westward.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On most boats, including many "high end" boats, these fasteners are the structural connection between hull and top, but on the Dory the two parts are glassed together."

The CD design is the proper one for a utility boat (we tend to forget the workboat roots of our line). The rubrail is designed to be replaced easily after numerous bashings. Purely functional.
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were chipped and flaking a little as well. It didn't look like a structural compromise but it bugged me a little. So I put some west system micro balloons putty mix in it then . Primed it , painted it then declared it good to go. I really wouldn't worry about it much. It looked like all the bumps were is the back side of the rub rail rivets. I think the factory smeared some "stuff" over it for looks and so owners wouldn't get hurt by the back side of the exposed rivet. Keep in mind that my boat was rolled in the surf so it flexed allot. The Joint between the hull and the top showed no cracks or hints of any separation at all. Rest assured its one very tuff boat. The reason it rolled was because the previous owners ran out of fuel and were blown into shore with no power. No fault of the boat. This brings up the nice point of a glass boat that almost every thing can be repaired.

Good luck
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: