The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit rails for 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaysea

City/Region: Lake Norman
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wags to Fishes
Photos: Wags to Fishes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Cockpit rails for 22 Reply with quote

We haven't bought our 22 yet, but are getting close; we're busy considering all the options.

I've learned that C-Dory uses the same cockpit rails that are on the 25, for the 22. We like the 25 rails (the way they turn the corn at the stern), but are concerned about the height of the rail.

Anyone aware of alternative similar but shorter cockpit rails?
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ordering a new 22? If so, I'd suggest contacting the factory to confirm what you were told about the rails...it could have just been a misinformed sales person, depending on where you were shopping. Greg Little at NMI will likely get back to you regarding actual current production specs...some things have changed with the current manufacturer from years past, and as we learned at the factory tour last week they continuously make minor tweaks and improvements, so it might be different with current production.

If it turns out that the option rails are indeed the same as the 25' and you want them shorter, then I bet you can work with C-dory and/or PDR Marine aka Pooderbuilt.com (where the rails are made) to have them made shorter to your liking.

I too would think the 25' rails would be too high for a 22' which is why I question what you were told. What I want for mine is one of those rails that simply goes straight across the splashwell I've seen in many albums, good for mounting BBQ and other accessories. I need to research if that was a factory option or a custom part...

Welcome to the C-brats, and congrats on your pending purchase! It's a fun process for sure!

-Mike

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much going to echo Mike above. I've never seen the cockpit gunwale rails standard (or even optional) on a 22, but that doesn't mean they aren't offering them now. It's also not at all unusual to have custom stainless rails and the like made; so either way I think you should be able to get what you want.

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure the 25 rails would fit on the 22. I'm not looking at them or my boat right now, but I think they curve around at the topside-to-transom interface and that's right where the lazarette lids are on the 22.

Be interesting to hear what you find out when you check back with them.

And... new 22! Whee! Thumbs Up
kaysea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MikeR, for the contact info, and Sunbeam for your note about the lazarettes. Will let you know what we learn.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason rails were put on the 25, is that the cockpit floor is about 8 to 10" off the bottom of the boat. Thus the cockpit combing would come close to hitting many folks at the knee level, rather than mid thigh. This is a safety issue.

I also have not seen side rails on the 22. The 25 has seats aft, where there is a Lazaretto (batteries, electrical, storage, bait well)--and I don't see any reasons to have railings there--where as in the 25, you can lean back against the railings as you sit in the two corner seats.

To me railings on the side of the 22 would be a hinderance--especially in getting in and out of the boat. Although the cockpit in the 25 is only 2' longer on the floor--functionally it is longer because of the corner seats.

It is very easy using off the shelf components to put railings across the splash sell. I had a railing in the 25, In the below photo you can see the railing I put across the cockpit, to help hold the generator and ice chest etc. Also note how the railing makes a seat back. That railing could be moved up or down, back or forward--just a SS 1" tube and a couple of SS Bimini top fittings and deck mounts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the alternatives presented to you by the manufacturer or dealer, simply buy the boat and then take it to a railmaker.

These folks custom build all kinds of stainless railings for sailboats, fishing boats, commercial boats, law enforcement boats, and so forth.

They can build anything you want to your specifications.

Why deal with limited choices?

I, too, would be concerned with the added difficulty of getting into and out of the boat with a railing. I'm sure they could add some sort of a gate on each side for you and make it look good, too!

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
kaysea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Seawolf and Thataway, for your replies.

Based on the concerns voiced by you experienced C-Brats, we'll wait on the cockpit rails, until we've used the boat for a while. Accessibility is an issue for us; your posts made us realize we need some experience with our boat to be sure the rails won't make things harder, rather than easier!

Further comments welcome! Thanks!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision. Also look at how other C brats have handled the getting in and out of the cockpit--with additional steps--That first step is a long one for many people! Generally it is good to use the basic boat for at least a month or two, before making any modifications. Then take what others have done, and modify to fit your needs.

One example of what I have done on each of our boats is to add a short hand railing on the outside aft corner (the the lip, not the cored top) of the cabin top. The rail on the aft bulkhead is helpful but if pulling up-the extra railing higher really helps us.

One could also make a railing, which can be removed and is more of a grab bar on the side of the cockpit--think 18 to 24 inches above the deck. --just as a hand hold. There are some made for fishing rod holders.
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Good decision. Also look at how other C brats have handled the getting in and out of the cockpit--with additional steps--That first step is a long one for many people! Generally it is good to use the basic boat for at least a month or two, before making any modifications. Then take what others have done, and modify to fit your needs.

One example of what I have done on each of our boats is to add a short hand railing on the outside aft corner (the the lip, not the cored top) of the cabin top. The rail on the aft bulkhead is helpful but if pulling up-the extra railing higher really helps us.

One could also make a railing, which can be removed and is more of a grab bar on the side of the cockpit--think 18 to 24 inches above the deck. --just as a hand hold. There are some made for fishing rod holders.

Nancy and I have been pouring over all the photo albums here to get ideas on how we can make the boat more useful.

C-Batical's photo album included this photo which looks like a pretty slick idea on how to have a stowable step in the cockpit.

The generosity of C-Brats is simply amazing.

Fair Winds and Following C's to us all.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we have used on our old 22 and the current 25. Very easy to enter and exit the boat. Remove and stow the steps in the v berth when not in use. We cruise with the dog and she finds it easy to use, too. Less of a jumping up and down.
See pic in the album of use in the 22.

http://www.garelick.com/Oak-Cockpit-Steps

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: