The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Downrigger location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Downrigger location Reply with quote

I was planning on getting canvas for my new boat at some point not too far off. How does this affect placement of the downriggers. I would like to be able to leave them on with the canvas up. and possibly even use them at times with it up, but the sides zipped off. Any suggestions, pictures, or links to other discussions on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sark
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid the canvas would interfere with working the rod and net. I personally like to have an open cockpit when I'm fishing. If it's raining I'll just stand inside the door of the cabin.

Just my $.02

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: location Reply with quote

Fishtales,

Good points. Most of the time I will have the canvas down. I have good rain gear and I am used to standing in the rain while fishing. But on occasion I would like to have the capability of fishing with it up. I don't mind leaning out the side a bit, and the rod should be angled out a bit when playing a fish. I understand it makes it more difficult to use a net, and lift the rod to bring the fish to the net, but again I would only use it on occasion. I saw a guy fishing like this on hood canal. I just figured if I was on the way somewhere and the canvas was up, and I see signs of fish. Jumping fish or bait, It would be nice to make a couple passes without taking it all down. No big deal if it's not a real possibility . I just figured someone here has done it. If not, I'd still like some suggestions on where to mount them, and pros and cons of different areas.

Sark
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Arimasark. I can think of plenty of slow fishing times when I would accept the inconveniences of dealing with limited room in return for not having to put the rain gear on to stay dry.

I noticed one of the Brats posted pictures recently of his downriggers mounted inside the engine well which facilitated operation and storage of the downriggers with the top up. Maybe a combination of this arrangement along with an expeditious way to fold up the top when fighting a fish.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sark,

I like my downriggers a bit further forward than most folks. My canvas top works great because you can remove any panel and still have good protection. I don't have good pictures, but Les at EQ, who designed the top, probably has some available.

Dusty

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss something here. So Arimasark, you now have a C-Dory? Congrats. I'll have to check your album for photos
Terry

Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock- C

I don't have it yet Crying or Very sad , but I do have one reserved. I think I should get it around the end of January or the beginning of February Wink . I originally had an Arima, when I signed up here, and then went to a defiance, before finally coming to a Cdory. On both previous purchases, I was on the fence between a CDory and another boat. I actually ended up in the situation again, and had made a decision before I even realized the situation had repeated over the three different boats I have purchased. Obviously somewhere in the back of my mind I really wanted a Cdory. I can understand why some would be confused about me buying one, especially since I almost went with the CC. But all I can say is that after weighing more factors than I have the patience to type about, the CD was the clear winner for me. I will put some pics up as soon as I can.

Thanks
Sark
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sark, I fish with my canvas up when its really raining of the wind is blowing. The great thing aout having 8 different panals on the sides is that you can remove the ones you want and leave the rest. if its really raining I remove the back four and the two back sides. This leaves a extended covered area that you can get out of the wind and rain but still play the fish. Another trick while doing this is to fold up the back braces of the frame. if you dont you cant get to the down rigger very well. I just tye them up to the main supports and them run a long bungee from the back of the top canvas down to the motor well and hook were the canvas back panals would hook. this keep the wind from folding up the top. There are many ways to rig it if you have the 8 panel top tht les had but on mine. Also all the panels roll up indepently which really helps. Oh it was sea ram who has his down riggers in the motor well. look on his ablum or in my P.L. ablum . Hows the chum fishing??
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sark , like Tom said there is no problem if you get the 8 or more panels when fishing . My back posts are pined with quick pins held by a small piece of stainless wire and a ring . All you have to do if you have a fish on even if your by yourself, use one finger pull the pins on each side reach the top, push back voila! Fight your fish, net it, done. You might be wet by now but who cares . My down riggers are the Scottys long arm with 3 rod holders on each one , love them . Gary SEARAM
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that my down riggers are mounted so theft can not removed them , and they don't interfere with my canvas or when my cooler is on top in front of my engines. Gary
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fished with the canvas up, but not with the downriggers. I have the downriggers mounted where they would interfere with the canvas supports. Also, my canvas is designed where I can roll up the panels and fasten them in place without removing them, or I can remove them if I want.
All are good ideas, but down here in wet? So Cal, we don't worry to much about rain----- Ha- one day I woke up to a steady rain and promptly called the job and told them to cancel all welding for the day- can't weld in the rain. After canceling the job, I called my buddy and told him to meet me at the lake- we got full limits of trout before lunch- we were soaked through and through and lovin' it Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: