The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchoring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Anchoring Reply with quote

Good Day to all, I will pick up our new 25 footer (Huda Thunkit) on the 10th of November. Needless to say we are pumped. (First salt boat) She will come home and I will finish the rigging through the winter. The question is this, in a Danforth style, how heavy do I need to go to keep her from blowing away? I intend to employ a stern anchor as well and assume that I can drop one size here. Please help the new guy out. Thanks Mike Layman.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Congrats on the 25. My personal experience in AK is that there are better type anchors than a Danforth... Danforth types are great in mud, sand, and the kinds of bottoms where blade area is important, but don't do well in kelp.

Several plows, Bruce (and knock-offs), Fortress, etc. all hold better, and re-seat if broken loose.

3rd byte, Red Fox, and other knowledgeable AK C-Brats will be able to give you better info.

Dusty

tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I use a 7.5 kg Bruce with 30 feet of chain on my 22 so far it has held it everywhere I have put it down. It works well in the Inlet with as little as 2:1 scope for fishing during the tide movement, and does well in Prince William Sound. I carry a second anchor if I need to limit swing, but haven't had a reason to use it. I probably should have put it out one night in a lagoon on Disk Island when the williwaws swung us in circles all night. Even with the williwaws the anchor held all night. The main thing with the Bruce anchor is getting a good set. It may be dead calm but if I'm going to spend the night, I set the anchor with a fair amount of reverse thrust.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawdust wrote:
Mike,

Several plows, Bruce (and knock-offs), Fortress, etc. all hold better, and re-seat if broken loose.

3rd byte, Red Fox, and other knowledgeable AK C-Brats will be able to give you better info.

Dusty

Thanka DustyBunny Laughing Beer Mr. Green ya know i like buggin yas Wink

I agree totally, these two styles are the best way to go. Probytrue danforths hold more in mud and sand per pound..... but I think for use in the sea around AK there a POS!!!

I'd recommend at a 20-some pound bruce or plow style... lots of chain on it. I splurged and got stainless chain..... sure is purdy, and no more rust on my bow. Galvanized does not stay lookin nice forever Thumbs Down and its butt fleabag ugly too Xmas Naughty Moon

BTW... congrats on that lusty new Baby Smile
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, ditto, congratulations on the new 25'. You're going to love it and ain't that "pumped feeling" great!

I'd recommend the Bruce of the Delta Fast-set. Either would be a good choice. I've used both and currently have a 14# Fast Set on my 22' CD and like it very much. There is some great information on previous threads on the site with regard to anchoring. There is a specific article or link to the article on the Delta Fast Set, which is very thorough on the subject. If I can find it I'll see that it gets to you. Someone else may have it's location on top of their head.

Length of rode & amount of chain is your next decision. Here again, more is better within reasonable limitations. Do you have a windlass?

West Marines catalog has recommendation for sizes of all the specific anchors in their catalog and you can use it as a guide. If in doubt stay on the high side. Setting the anchor well, as TPBrady said, is the best insurance of getting a good nights sleep.

Again, Congrats and welcome to the family.

Redƒox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... want a hopped-up anchor Exclamation Don't forget to sharpen the fluke with your grinder of choice Exclamation makes them stick better and bite faster to a slick or hard sea floor Exclamation I ain't kiddin bub Shocked
I also use the 14-pound Delta Fast Set Star Still, I'd rather have one of them; made in Scotland jobs --- the "CQR" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: