The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Condensation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabass

City/Region: New Castle, Delaware
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Condensation Reply with quote

I've been reading the posts on insulating V-berth and cabin to prevent condensation.
I'd like to hear El & Bill's opinion on this matter. Since they have spent so much time aboard, they have become my benchmark on the C-Dory experience.
El & bill, if you're reading this, how do you deal with the condensation problem? Is it, in fact, a problem for you?
I don't have a C-Dory yet, but will have in the near future. Just looking for insight at the moment.
That spray-on stuff sounds like a great solution, but I'm a little wary of anything the factory has not endorsed.
Damn complicated, these boats.

Thanks to all responders,
(soon to be) Cap'n Jim

cpt vic

City/Region: northeast river/chesapeake
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C~Pearl
Photos: C~Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: inside berth Reply with quote

sorry i 'm not any help i too am about to take the plunge and am reading a lot of tech posts... my present boat has factory carpet everywhere inside so am i in for a horrible shock with drips and uncomfortable temps and noise?? how bad is it? cpt vic
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Soon to be) Capt Jim --
We do not find noise through the hull to be any problem at all -- sure, when there are waves slapping, you hear that -- like we have tonight, with a brisk wind -- but we enjoy that sound, and look forward to going to sleep with it tonight.

Cold (or hot) hull to the touch? Well, it is (usually) colder than the air tempt in the boat, since the water is usually cooler than the warmth of the air, but we aren't touching the hull -- even when sleeping -- so that's no problem.

So -- to the problem from condensation... yes, there is definitely condensation on the interior walls of the boat. For us, this is rarely a problem. We keep the forward hatch open at least a crack when sleeping (even when below freezing). We like fresh cold air when sleeping, and this allows the condensation from our breathing an easy escape to the outdoors. This greatly reduces condensation, we have found. Then, we don't allow water to boil for long in the cabin (or if we must, for cooking, then we leave windows and door open to allow the moisture to get out). Then, we like to use the Wallas on cold days or evenings, with forward hatch and windows slightly ajar -- seems to vent out moisture.

We have been cruising for three weeks in fall tempts and almost daily rains in NY, VT, and Canada now, and have been lucky with electricity at docks on the canals here so run our little electric heater in the early am and evening (again, with hatch and windows ajar). We sit the heater in the V-berth before heading to bed, and it dries out the moisture up there.

So, in summary -- yes, any unlined hull will have some condensation -- there are simple steps to take that reduce the amount of moisture. We sometimes have to wipe the ceiling in the cabin, or dry out the bedding (when we forget and let the teakettle boil), but we do not find this to be a serious detriment to our "out of season" cruising.

Hope this helps to answer your question --

El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An add-on: We would recommend a 'camper-back' since this not only keeps water out of the cockpit (mostly), but with our dark color we can warm (and dry) the boat somewhat even on a cold (sunny) day by keeping the cockpit enclosed and our door open.

We have indoor-outdoor carpeting on the floor of both the cabin and cockpit and, most of the time, the cockpit floor is dry and thus we don't track moisture into the cabin floor. We are often barefoot in summer and just in socks in winter -- shoes are usually outside the door in the cockpit. El has a great pair of purple 'water shoes,' gift from good friend, Marge, on Pelican that she wears on wet docks and decks and sheds easily in the cockpit.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another PS - from El -- We don't keep either the Wallas or an electric heater on overnight. We like it cold for sleeping - good incentive for snuggling. Bill gets up early, makes the coffee, and when I get up the cabin is dry and nice and toasty warm. Got him well trained, eh?
Seabass

City/Region: New Castle, Delaware
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, El & Bill, for your response to the condensation issue. I guess I won't be sure of what I'm going to do until I get the boat.
I guess with just me on the boat, If I limit my breathing, condensation won't be too much of a problem.
Hopefully next spring will see me aboard.

Thanks,
Jim
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some folks are high on the carpeted liners to avoid condensation but after about ten years living aboard a sailboat in the northwest I can assure you that even if you don't feel the moisture on the headliner or hullliner in the morning, it is there. After prolonged use it will mildew and show itself, and that is a bear to stop. This spray on stuff might be a big improvement, but if you generate a lot of moisture in a small space I am sure even it will eventually show some mildew.
ak-cd

City/Region: Kenai
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CanDu
Photos: Can Du
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about the spray insulation - how costly is it? Does anybody have any feedback on how they like it? Is it available in Anchorage? Any info on it would be appreciated.

ak-cd
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reading this thread. It should give you all the information you are looking for.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1629

ak-cd

City/Region: Kenai
Vessel Name: CanDu
Photos: Can Du
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, Thanks for the thread. It looks like it could be a good way to go. I'll look into it more!
Thanks, Duane
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Condensation Reply with quote

The dory is our third unlined boat. Like El and Bill ventilation is the answer. If your roof does get drippy and you wipe it down-think of it as house cleaning.Electric heaters are wonderful and we evan use the electric blanket at times.

Fred and Pat and Mr. Black

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If'n I where getting a new boat I'd run it around for a while and see if the condensation issue is even a concern for your use. If you find that the moisture content of your pants in the morning wasn't agreeable, install a solar vent or two. If that doesn't cure things to your liking, go for the goo.
I don't have the Deluxe Wallas and therefor the ability to just fire it up to dry things out. I went the insulation route to not only help control condensation, but also to help retain the meager heat my piece of fecal matter stove puts out. Regarding the insulation, it works, I'm happy, I'd do it again & as far as boat stuff goes, it's cheap (but somewhat labor intensive)

tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ak-CD

Duane,

I believe you saw the coating on my boat in Whittier back in September. I got the Mascoat directly from the distributor and I believe the total cost was under $170 delivered in Anchorage. They actually sent me 5 gallons but only charged me for 3. The other 2 went to a friend of mine to try on his 28 foot Kingfisher.

I don't know if you saw my post about last week hunting in PWS, but the coating performed as advertised cutting down condensation by 90% or more and we didn't run the Wallas at night. Just cracked the hatch and windows. During the day, what little moisture that accumulated evaporated quickly even with it raining. Because there was so much less moisture in the boat, while running the windows don't fog as easily.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: