View previous topic :: View next topic  
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: lowrance depth finders Reply with quote

I need advice from fellow Lowrance FF/D/GPS users, specifically Elite series units.

For years I have used exclusively Lowrance instruments. They have always been reliable and state of the art. However, in the last 2 years, on both of my boats, I have had to replace 3 total Elite series units. One was 3years old, one 13 months, one 1 week old. If they had all failed on one boat, I would think bad wiring. If they were out in the weather, that's another story. But these were mounted inside, used sparingly, and failed for no reason. When solid state devices, with no moving parts, fail this often, typically it's because of bad design.

My question to fellow users is, is anyone else experiencing the same problems? I love these units when they work, but they seem to be so unreliable. The fact that Lowrance will replace a unit only ONCE, on there extended warranty program (instead of warranting it for a set period of time) may be a hint as to their unreliability. I am thinking of switching to another brand. Any suggestions are appreciated.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several problems a number of years back. But currently the Lowrance and Simrad products have a good reputation. Probably service and reliability slightly better on the Simrad. But, many of the products are almost the same.--if not the same.

I was very impressed with a technical manager I met at the Long Beach Fishing show. Their knowledge and answers to questions were far better than Garmin or RayMarine. Generally, the current generations of MFD are very reliable. Part may be the level of the unit you are using?...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 3G radar and 7" Gen 2 MFD a year ago. Still works fine and the 3G displays on the PC using OpenCpn.

I did have a problem with their software upgrades. When I went to s/w ver 3.0, the MFD wouldn't see the radar, so I went back to ver. 2.5. As usual, when I talk to Navico support, I get the low boy on the totem pose. Bob must of got lucky. Anyway the advice I got was that I was wrong, and that was the end of it. They told me (a) 3.0 was perfect and (b) I couldn't roll back to 2.5. So I quit talking to them.

Other than that, I love the 3G radar and the Gen II display is good.

Boris
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running Lowrance for the last 10 years and had issues with my first one and have had good luck with the second one. My loyalty to the brand or any brand is nil especially electronics.

If mine had a melt down and I was needing a replacement I would give serious consideration to a Hummingbird. Most bang for the buck is why. Lowrance had better be very competive when the time comes for a new one. I often question why and how manufactures jam so much stuff into a telephone or I-pad like device and our fishfinders cost so bloody much. Sporting a chart and fishinder only.... Todays fish finders still have unimpressive features with mediocre results and oh by the way they still cost as much as an iPad.

As a rule I hate spending to much on electronics....they are usually worthless 5-8 years down the road. Sometimes sooner.

Jeez i sound bitter but I think they can do better.

Good Hunting Brother!

Chris
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: electronics Reply with quote

Chris: If I could get 5 years out of these products, I would rejoice.

I admire your KISS attitude (keep it simple stupid). On most issues, I am the same way. I have avoided electric windlasses like the plague. If it's bad enough to need radar, it's bad enough to stay in port. I always thought that "reliable marine electronics" was an oxymoron. Chasing the latest electric doodad is like buying the latest Iphone or computer. By the time you load the box into your trunk, it's obsolete.

Having said that, the first thing I did when I got my used boat home was replace the GPS, depth sounder, and fish finder with two of the latest combination units. Most of my life I had fished without a finder, ran by compass, and hoped the water was deep enough. These combo units make it sooo easy. I gotta have em.

As for the Lowrance problem I had, apparently unplugging and replugging the unit does not reset the software. If one looks hard enough, on their website, there is a long list of reboot procedures for their boxes. That worked for my latest problem. What locked it up to begin with, who knows!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3G radar dome failed a little over 2 years. Lowrance honored the warranty, so I was only out the shipping cost. My paddle wheel (STW) sensor has stopped sending data to head unit. Head unit itself has been awesome and so far very satisfied. BTW, my dad has a green box Lowrance Fish-Lo-K-Tor from the 70's that still works

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a Raymarine C80 as our primary, but have a small Humminbird sonar and GPS as a backup. I had to send the Humminbird in for warranty once, but it's been far better than any of the Lowrance units I've had. I'd definitely go Humminbird again.
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been "lucky" enough to have spent ridiculous amounts of money on full Garmin and Furuno electronics in the past year, as well as some standalone MFDs from Humminbird and Lowrance.

I am buying more Lowrance I think. I like everything about the newer gear for a smaller boat, although I'm somewhat disgusted in the manner in which they released their new outboard AP.

That said, I believe that Lowrance is putting out a good piece of hardware, and allowing more functionality and utility in a small unit than anyone.

The HDS Gen3 MFDs have Chirp sonar, side/downscan, WiFi/Wireless integration, can log sonar data and make custom maps and charts, and on and on. One year ago that same package from anywhere else required 3-4 separate components all networked together. Now it's in one box. Nobody else has that.

In terms of manufacturer support for making custom maps (that you can load back into your MFD as a basemap) they are far better than anyone.

I believe that Lowrance is trying to position itself as the leader in high end pro-sumer gear for small/medium pleasure boats. Their 7" display has the same functionality as their 12" display... that's not common.

I have no axe to grind, and only spend money on this stuff, I don't earn a penny selling boat gear. I just think that Lowrance is the standout in electronics for the CD size/class of boat.

However, Furuno is furuno. If you get their stuff it is pro grade and it is $$.
I haven't seen much of Garmin's down and sidescan, but their sonar has left something to be desired.

Humminbird was the stuff to beat two years ago, but Lowrance has really pulled away and made some distance in my opinion.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin stepped into the all-in-one box game with the XSV line now.

They also have put more in the boxes of some of the fishfinder specific units of the SV line.

Making your own maps is a cool concept but not for me. I deal with enough of that a work.

Electronic Leap frog is getting harder to keep up with from the consumer standpoint. I think Lowrances are good units and I have used a couple on boats we owned. Not my preference but good none the less.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Merdraco

City/Region: Pine Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Merdraco
Photos: Merdraco
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I need advice from fellow Lowrance FF/D/GPS users, specifically Elite series units."

Being a novice in all aspects of power boating that exceed electric trolling motors and human power, I purchased a Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp Gold 83/200kHz + 455/800 transducer for my new (to me) 19 Angler. I looked at Humminbird, Garmin and Lowrance. The price/feature point appeared very competitive on the Lowrance and I really like the screen and controls. I have not had a complete unit failure. I have not used the fish finder for fishing yet. but the imaging is great. There are a dang lot of fish in that shallow water! The unit has booted up every time and has been working with the exception that it looses the bottom at around 23mph. I've played with transducer alignment a little and suspect turbulence to be the cause. After loosing the bottom if I slow way down it has come back but takes at least 5-6 minutes. My alternate has been to reboot. Also, on occasion the GPS shows me traveling outside of the canal by about 50'. These observations are limited to about 10 trips out the canal into the ICW maybe 10 miles and back. So, not much experience to go on, but I brought the head unit north for the summer to use it on the small boat and continue to learn. If it dies or does something unexpected, I'll be sure to post it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: