View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: RayMarine EV-100 Autopilot Installation Reply with quote

Continued from an earlier thread leading into the purchase of this autopilot: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=274946#274946

After a lot of research and consideration, I decided to purchase the Raymarine EV-100 Power Autopilot for my boat. I'll post here information for any others looking to install this or a similar unit.

First the boat specs.

CD-22 Cruiser
Mercury 115 HP EFI 4-Stroke
Hydraulic Steering, SeaStar Helm HH5271, Ram HC5345

I purchased the EV-100 from Hodges Marine for $1210 and the Female Drop cable to connect this autopilot to my Garmin GPSMAP 840xs for $31.
The cable p/n is Manufacturer Part Number: A06045

I purchased a SeaStar Outboard Auto Pilot Add Kit from iBoats on sale for $88. P/N HF 5501. I'll add to this forum as I install this autopilot. (May be a month or so, until the weather warms up and I get to it!) Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I'll need to do is move some things around I think. The "electrical panel" behind the helm is quite the mess.

And the helm itself doesn't have much room left either.

So my plans are to move the Trim Tabs control to under the helm seat, and the control switches to the side panel by the remote (throttle.) I'm also planning on installing the autopilot control unitbox and hydraulic pump in the compartment under the helm seat as well. I'll place the autopilot control screen to the left of the engine gauges and move the spotlight controls to another location. Probably move the anchor windless switch to over by the throttle also. I'll remove the two smaller electrical buses and replace them with one larger one, thus cleaning up some of the wiring as well. Colby

Regarding my trim tabs control, has anyone else installed this somewhere else besides behind the helm bulkhead?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more helpful data.

From SeaStar systems in regards to splicing into my current hydraulic steering hose. (I did order this kit as part of my autopilot installation. I was asking about splicing into the original steering line closer to where I plan on placing the autopilot's pump.)
----------------------

I recommend that you order add an autopilot fitting kit HF5501 from any marine parts dealer. This kit will come with T-fittings to install into the helm pump as well as a straight fitting for the return line on the helm pump. The kit also includes 25' of nylon tubing that can be used to plumb the a/p pump into the system.

Do NOT cut your existing steering lines.

You will install as follows;

- Remove existing fittings from your helm pump and install them into your autopilot pump

- Install T-fittings into the rear of your helm pump

- Install straight fitting into the lower port marked with the letter R in your helm pump

- Run the nylon tubing included in the kit between the helm and the autopilot

- Run your existing lines into the open end of the T-Fitting that is installed in your helm pump

Thanks
Marc
SeaStar Technical Support
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby;
I have had an EV 100 for a couple of years, it works well.
I suggest you buy the kit recommended by the raymarine service person, it will save you a lot of time and frustration. I would also suggest you place all the components on the bulkhead where the helm is located. Make sure all your electrical and fluid connections are properly installed and secured. Thre might be instances when you will need to check for leaks and/or faulty wire joints.
Enjoy
Pedro
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedromo wrote:
Colby;
I have had an EV 100 for a couple of years, it works well.
I suggest you buy the kit recommended by the raymarine service person, it will save you a lot of time and frustration. I would also suggest you place all the components on the bulkhead where the helm is located. Make sure all your electrical and fluid connections are properly installed and secured. Thre might be instances when you will need to check for leaks and/or faulty wire joints.
Enjoy
Pedro

Thanks Pedro,
I did also order the installation kit, when I ordered the autopilot. I really don't have any room left on the back of my helm bulkhead, as one of the photo's above show. My plans for now are to remove the two electrical buses and replace with one larger bus. Also move the trim tab control box over to under the helm seat, along with moving the trim tab switches to nearby the throttle quandrant (just to the right of the helm seat.) Also planning on mounting all the autopilot hardware under the helm seat, except for the control panel (screen) which I will put on the helm bulkhead in front of me, close to where the trim tab switches are now. (The other option, would be to put the autopilot hardware under the berth, as I have removed the foam and installed a hatch, so that area would be accessible.) I had hoped to splice into my steering hose near the helm seat, but looks like with the kit I will need to put the Tee's at the helm pump (back of steering wheel). The kit comes with 25' of hose, so I should have plenty to make that 5 or 6' run, but that just means all that more hoses/wires coming from behind the helm. I think with replacing the fuse panels with a larger panel and moving the trim tab control box, should clean that space up nicely. There will still be a lot of wires and hoses back there though. Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slightly glazed over with the last couple of posts (not your fault - just that I'm onto a different detail-filled RV project at the moment), but are you thinking of mounting the pump behind the helm (well, really "ahead of," but you know what I mean)?

Have you considered mounting the pump in the starboard lazarette? Credit for that idea goes to Les at EQ (back when I was thinking about the Raymarine S1000 - but I didn't really like that one so decided to wait for something like the EV-100 to come to market). I think he originally mounted them there to get the noise out of the cabin, but it also makes for less stuff behind the helm. There are certain Tees and etc. that you would add to the hydraulic steering to connect up the pump in the lazarette (don't remember the details at the moment, and plus I haven't actually done it yet; but this is my plan for when I do add an autopilot).
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunbeam,
I'm thinking of mounting the pump either underneath the helm seat, or under the berth against the helm bulkhead. There is no room in the aft lazerettes as that is where my batteries are. (Although it makes a lot more sense.) Also, the installation Kit I got from SeaStar fits on the back of the helm pump, altho I could probably make those tees work at the ram. Autopilot and installation kit should be here in the next few days. Once I get it, take a look at it, I can start thinking up a few more thoughts. Still pretty cold here too, so really won't be doing any installation for at least another month. (Unless I break out the heater to work on the boat....) But thinking about it, maybe the pump would fit in with the battery. Would make much more sense to be back there. Colby
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember folks complaining about the noise from the pump before we did our install. We installed ours under the helm seat and don't notice the noise. This might not apply to the EV-100, but if the pump wasn't even in the cabin - that might be a bonus.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the pump in the starboard lazarette. Crowded in there with VSR switch and one battery and cables etc. It was a tight fit. I have three group 24 batteries but6 two are on the port side. One for house, deep cycle, two dual purpose for the engines. To fit the pump in the lazatette I switched the battery on that side to a smaller, automotive tpe battery. Still a group 24. The dual purpose battery was just too tall to install and remove with the pump in place. The new battery is same footprint but shorter so it fits thru the hatch. The three hydraulic lines run from the helm to the pump. Two of those go into tees installed directly on the pump. From those tees two lines go to the ram. So maybe if you go to a smaller battery it will work.

Regards,
Mark

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. Sounds like we have the same set up in the lazarettes. If the pump is small enuf, there may be room back there. SeaStar says the tees (in their kit, HH 5501) should go into the helm. I think part of the problem is the hose they provide in the kit isn't real flexible, and they don't want it used at the ram. (Although I would think it would be easy enuf to get two short flexible hydraulic hoses made up.) I'm still waiting for an answer from RayMarine if the pump can be mounted closer to the helm, as one of the installation manuals I downloaded suggest the pump should be mounted close to the ram. Of course it also says it should be higher than the ram and helm, but any location other than the Lazarette is going to put it lower.... As of right now, I think I prefer the mounting under the helm seat, or under the berth on the helm bulkhead. This will be a dry area also, another recommendation for the pump. I don't believe noise will be an issue. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why Sea Star says to install the pump near the helm (easy to tie into?) Many of the larger boat pumps are installed as near as possible to the ram. Thus the Lazarette would make a lot of sense.,

Your helm only seems to have the two lines (typical of Sea and Bay Star). Many of the large helm sets have the return line (as the pump has).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you read something wrong Bob. Smile RayMarine says to mount the pump near the ram. SeaStar doesn't say where to mount the pump. They do say to tee into the helm. And I suspect that is because with that particular kit, I think the hose is not real flexible and their concern about rams that move. At least that's why they have inboard and outboard hoses that are different. There are only two lines at the helm. However, if you look closely, there are two more ports that are plugged. SeaStar says to use the bottom port for the reservoir line directly to the pump. As I read thru many of the autopilot forums here, it seems like many autopilot pumps have been mounted in the cabin. I still have a lot of decisions to make about location, before I actually install the pump. And I hope to continue hearing from everyone about where they have located theirs! Smile Colby
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to install the pump , its plumbing and the electrical breaker in the Starboard lazzarette. Hydraulic lines actually fit quite nicelly. The third hydraulic line is a low pressure return line. By the way, the compression fittings supplied with the kit are very good, just make sure you tighten them properly.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedromo, I must have misunderstood your first post here. I thought you said you would recommend the components be installed at the helm bulkhead. Or was that all the components except for the pump? I'll have to take a close look at my starboard lazzarette once the temps here warm up some. (This weekend we have windchill warnings of minus 20-30... Sad As of now, I'm looking at either there; under the helm seat; or under the berth. The package of stuff just came today, so at least I can start looking at the components and checking some of the fittings out with the pump. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Its' your boat so you can do what you want to do, but if it was me, I'd start with:
1. Move the coffee cup from in front of the port a pottie Laughing to save on the confusion that might cause Laughing Embarassed
2. I would want the Trim Tab switches to be where I could see them. (from your first post here --
Quote:
"So my plans are to move the Trim Tabs control to under the helm seat,"

3. I would consider moving the speaker away from the electronics (Just my issues about magnetism and navigational equipment.)

It sounds like you are planning on moving a considerable amount of equipment. Would it work to just move the switch panel down some, and put the AP panel where your current switch plate is? I use my AP (EV-100) a lot and it is something you will want to have ready access and visibility to, easily.

Buy the way, Your wire "nest" behind the helm panel looks like it is related to mine Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: