The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canvas snap repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Canvas snap repair Reply with quote

I've been replacing a few snaps on my mooring cover canvas. It's pretty easy with the right tool and snaps that go through the canvas. Hoever, I have one broken stud that comes out of the fiberglass along the motor well. It's glassed in at the back. How the heck can I get the old one out and replaced with out drilling a big hole? Thanks.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Dremel tool to cut out a small amount of the glass around the stud--then cut the end of the stud square and used a small pair of Vise Grips to get a good hold of the stud and back it out. Then either put in gel coat or marine tex and put a new snap/stud in place. The brass rim will cover the area you repaired.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty,
On most boats those snaps are usually pop-riveted into the fiberglass. I have replaced several by carefully drilling out the center with a drill bit of exactly the right size. A set of numbered (size) bits will give you a better choice of sizes. Sometimes the snap part will want to spin as you drill. It helps to hold it stationary with needlenose pliers while you slowly drill out the center. If the hole wears out too large to hold another pop-rivet you can then fill with marine-tex and redrill. Usually I can reuse the hole. Good luck.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas here from Bob and Ken!

The real complicating factor on re-installation is the lack of access to the back side of the fiberglass panel, which is why pop rivets are sometimes used over screw threads in the first place.

I've got two of these on my Sea Ray, and wonder if I can get enough epoxy through the existing hole that it will hold sufficiently when drilled out and re-riveted.

I'm wondering if some type of threaded insert or jack nut would have a larger backing/expanding section that would bite better than a pop-rivet or a threaded screw? (I know I'd have to enlarge the hole slightly.)

Discussion HERE.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
I have never seen or used a "jack nut." But it looks like a slick idea. Another thought would be to go up one size on the pop-rivet, i.e. from a 1/8 to a 3/16?
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
Joe,
I have never seen or used a "jack nut." But it looks like a slick idea. Another thought would be to go up one size on the pop-rivet, i.e. from a 1/8 to a 3/16?

Ken-

Going up one size would be the easiest, as long as it's big enough to fill the hole!

The hole in the fiberglass is already close to 3/16, or maybe bigger.

The next problem would be tht the head of the snap fitting is smaller than the head of the pop rivet, so that the larger pop rivet head would stop the canvas snap from contacting the recieving head.

In such cases, one can sometimes grind down the pop rivet head's diameter before setting it, making it small enough to be out of the way, unless the remaining height of the rivet head is too tall to allow the snap to fit down over it. Maybe the height can be ground down, too?

If not, maybe the rivet can be set in the hole alone first, then drilled out down the center to remove the mandrel, then threaded with a machine screw tap and then a machine screw used to attach the snap fitting.

As always, nothing with a boat is as simple as it first appears!

Cheers!

Joe.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not as elegant as the aforementioned options, one way that I usually fall back upon in such situations is to remove the snap, screw, rivet or fitting, then fill the hole with epoxy or 5200 and broken toothpicks and then screw a new fitting into the hole and wait for it to set before use. I usually even hammer the toothpicks in to get a more dense filling.

That's the way I've fixed the screen door since I was a kid - just different glue!

John
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the good advice.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with pop rivets in fiberglass, is that the pop rivet tends to fracture the glass, both initially and with time as it wears. There is no backing washer. When possiable, pop rivets should be used with a properly sized washer on the back side. This tends to spread out the load, and make fracture of the glass less likely.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The problem with pop rivets in fiberglass, is that the pop rivet tends to fracture the glass, both initially and with time as it wears. There is no backing washer. When possiable, pop rivets should be used with a properly sized washer on the back side. This tends to spread out the load, and make fracture of the glass less likely.

That, of course, was always the problem on dinghy sailboats, finding a way to get a washer or backing plate behind a pop rivet or machine screw.

We did develop one way, however.

In order.....

Stick a wire through the opening from the outside and snake it down or around until you can get it to come out somewhere accessible.

Put the washer over the wire, then bend the wire back and forth and flat to keep the washer from falling off. Leave a long tail behind this to pull the wire back out later.

Coat the surface of the washer to fit up to the fiberglass with epoxy or some other adhesive of your choice.

Pull the washer back to the surface to be backed up and let the adhesive cure.

Pull the wire out backwards, leaving the washer to serve as a backing plate in place.

Go ahead and pop rivet the fitting in place normally, with the washer behind it. Use more adhesive to help waterproof and strengthen the attachment.

Interestingly, I've found a number of difficult to get to places on my Sea Ray.

Turns out that a lot of hardware is bolted to the deck before the deck is bonded to the hull, leaving little or no accessibility once the hull and deck are joined.

I had a stanshion that had the bolts loosened, and could no-way reach up to get a wrench on the nuts, and could not lift on them and get the nuts to bind up and allow the bolts to tighten.

I finally would up flooding the area under the stanchion plate with JB Weld and then inserting, under tight pressure, washers between the fiberglass deck and stanchion plate. Then I filled the rest of the area around the washers with more JB Weld, dressed up the edges, and allowed it to harden. Hard and firm as a rock 24 hrs later.

Would have required a trained ferret to get to the nuts!

Joe.
anntaylor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any Dinghy, so I going to buy one so please suggest me which company's dinghy is best including all the technical features?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann, if it is Ann, you have posted on an old thread about canvas snaps. Recommend posting on a new thread and entitle it "looking for dingy" or find one about dingys...

Good luck.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: