The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Installing Radar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Installing Radar Reply with quote

From: C-LionRay (Original Message) Sent: 12/24/2002 4:13 PM
Well I got my Radar, Now what?

I'm sure I'm not alone in my quest to understand the finer points of installing my new radar so that it is as functional as possible. Mine is a Furuno 1621, 16 mile unit. The price was nice and I just had to.
Should I put it on a pedistal? Which one? How high?
How far is .1.7 meters?
Thanks in advance, I want to get it up ans get to learning how to operate it.

Ray that's the same unit I have on Shearwater been very happy with the performance. You tend to get a lot of "display clutter" in the river and need to play with the gain control to get a comfort level. In more open water I've never had to mess with it much. Shearwater has a Lilly radar mount http://www.dlilly.com/products_radar.htm I've seen them as low as $129.00 out on the WEB. Does not add much height but you can adjust the angle. I can understand the advantage of a pedistal mount but the lilly mount seems to work.
Don't think that the install is very tricky, be sure to use a good quality "water proof" wire pass through fitting and 3M 52xx series sealent.(GI Joes or West Marine). Get your stainless steel mounting hardware (nuts, bolts, screws) from an ACE hardware the selection is huge and you'll save a bunch. (The 185th and TV hwy ACE is the best stocked with the Forest Grove ACE a close second)

steve

Thanks Stevej,

I sure am looking forward to getting it hooked up and learning how to operate it.
Hope to see you on the water soon.

Ray,
I installed the Furuno 1721 NavNet system on FISHTALES. I fab'd my own mast to mount the dome. This was my first install and I feel that it was relatively simple. Have fun with your new toy.
Roger

Roger,

I love the mount you made. What would it take for you to fab one up for me?
What material did you use?
Speaking of fabing, how about a rocket launcher?
Let me know....
Ray

I have noticed in almost every picture of a C-Dory with Radar, that the mounting of it is always forward towards the front edge of the roof top. Is there any reason that the radar needs to be mounted up front or is it just personal preference.
I am leaning towards mounting it on a short arch more to the Back of the cabin roof (like right on the back edge).at the seattle boat show there was a brand X boat that had the perfect style arch IMO. it was on the back edge of the roof and looked good.
Roger

Hey neighbor Roger,

Les and I just went through all this with the Tomcat and also the 22. Mostly just how it looks... We are putting it in the back on C-Salt on a pedestal. And the pedestal is mostly for looks too, except Les sez it mounts a little easier on the pedestal because of the curved roof. It works fine in either location, and on an arch would be great.

Dusty
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help, I want to build a stanchion to raise the radom so I can throw some kayaks on the roof. I was reading in my GPS info where it says to mount the GPS antenna away from the radar beam. At the present, the radom sits on the roof and the GPS sits on a mast at an evelation higher than the radom, three questions;
How much does the radar beam effect the GPS? Will I need to raise the GPS antenna? Or, can I leave the radom as is and just throw the kayaks on the roof and still have a functioning radar?
thanks O' bunch

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken,

I took a look at some of your photos. I can't really see good detail on your GPS antenna mount, but is it on that tall mast, to the rear/starboard?

I don't know which GPS unit you have, but is a lower profile antenna available? If so, why not lower it instead of raising it? You don't need height for GPS signals - in fact, lots of folks have reported units with integral antennas work fine inside the cabin. On Da Nag 19, I had one of the small Garmin mushroom antennas attached to a rail fast mount - nice and low, never had a problem with satellite acquisition.

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

The radar won't have any trouble shooting through the plastic kayaks; just make sure there's not enough metal in there (foot rest slides and such) to get in the way (not likely).

The GPS just needs to be on a different plane from the radar scanner itself (the part that turns inside the lid); up or down is fine. The GPS will go wierd if it's get pasted with microwaves on each turn of the scanner. Just go lower with the GPS antenna if possible; or leave things alone and try shooting through the kayaks.

www.marinautboats.com
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. The GPS antenna is a funky thing with the differential antenna sticking out of the mushroom, it's located rear,starboard. I'll continue whittlin on a stanchion just in case Mr Radar doesn't like looking through the kayaks.
thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: