View previous topic :: View next topic  
flabeachcomber

City/Region: St. Helena Island
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel
Photos: Kestrel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Fuel Filter/Separator question Reply with quote

I noticed one of my fuel filter/separators has a cloudy bowl at the bottom. I have bled it, but still cloudy. I would like to remove the entire filter, but I have visions of an uncontrolled gas flow into the bilge area once I disconnect the hoses to the filter. Smile

Any tips on how to remove filter including safety precautions would be greatly appreciated.
Novice C-Dory owner/maintenance person.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flabeachcomber

What brand and model of filter/separator do you have? Most of them, even with the drain at the bottom of the clear bowl, are a spin-off unit like an oil filter in a car. (The whole body spins off, not just the clear bowl.)

I doubt you have to remove the fuel lines to change the filter. Get the make and model number and we'll look it up for you and see how to switch it out. Those gas lines can be a bit tricky to remove and reconnect without incurring leaks.

When you drain the bowl, is the gas that comes out cloudy when you put it in a clear container, or is just that the inside of the clear bowl is clouded with sediment?

Where is the unit located? In the engine well? Under the engine well near the gas tanks? In one of the lazarette (corner) lockers accessible from a door above?

Can you place a catch bowl or tray under the filter when you work on it?

To change it out, you'll need a catch bowl of some type, plenty of rags to
absorb spills, and a container to put the filter in, although the catch bowl would probably double for this task.

Disconnect the battery at the battery switch or at the terminal (plural if two batteries) to avoid electrical sparks before working on the fuel system.

Be sure you have a fire extinguisher at the ready capable of putting out a flammable liquids fire (Class B).

Let's first find out what type of filter/separator it is! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My filter is just above the floor between the tanks. One of those square plastic moist towlet boxes works great for a fuel/water catch. When I change my filter, I just shut off the fuel tank selector and drain the water sediment bowl. That drains most of the fuel from the filter. I don't have any runaway fuel issues. Then change the filter. Have a tub ready to set the old filter in. Sometimes when the filter gets turned upside down more fuel leaks out. A dab of vaseline on the new filter seal insures a good fit. My filter water trap seems to be fuel stained and dis-colored making it difficult to see sediment. So drain often. And make sure the fuel tank vent openings face down and to the rear of the boat. When I bought my boat used, the first thing I noted was the vents facing forward and the seller talking of draining carburetor sediment bowls. So the first thing I got to do was remove and clean the fuel tanks and reposition the vents.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flabeachcomber,

If all of the fuel hoses and filter are above the top of the fuel tanks, then NO gas will siphon out. Only the gas inside the filter will spill.

If the hoses or filter are lower than the top of the fuel tanks, the Coast Guard requires an ANTI-SIPHON FITTING at the outlet of the fuel tank.
Many fuel tanks have the anti-siphon fittings installed regardless of the fuel hose routing. This fitting prevents a leaky hose from siphoning gas out of the tank. Gas must be sucked out of the tank by the fuel pump.

If you have the anti-siphon fitting, gas will not leak out, except the gas in the filter. Catch any spills as indicated above.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI-
After checking the the fuel filter under the engine cowling, I discovered that it was almost blocked solid. While blowing on one end of the filter, just a very small amount of air would come out the other side.
I think this would explain the hard starting in the mornings. Time will tell. I'm really amazed the engine ran as good as it did.

So, replace that $4 dollar part every year (Fram fuel filter) , it's the last bit of protection before entering your engine.

And believe it or not, I have a separate Honda fuel/water separator, new tanks and lines, use stabil in the fuel, replace fuel in my tanks after two months even with stabil and always drain off the water separator bowl.

I'm off to the boat store for a Racor fuel/water separator.
flabeachcomber

City/Region: St. Helena Island
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Kestrel
Photos: Kestrel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: THANKS! Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for all the great information. Following Sea Wolf's precautions, I removed the filter element, then unscrewed the separator bowl. The bowel had some rust colored sediment in it. I cleaned it good and plan to re-use the bowl with a new element I will pick up tomorrow.

Don't know why only the one bowl was not clear. As best I can see (through the fiberglass tank), there doesn't seem to be any sediment in the tank; although there might be a little on the bottom.

Thanks for the great replys.
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: