View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pick Up - LONG story Reply with quote

Hi,
The reason I wondered about this thread was my boat came with the fuel switch hosed up wrong. I could only get fuel the the motor using the fuel valve selector set on on port. After trying all other possiblities, I contacted my C-Dory warranty department, hey wait a minute thats me. After disconnecting the feed line to the fuel filter I blew compressed air back thru the line at all different selections on the fuel valve. Only port setting was working and blowing air into the port tank. Next I pulled the hoses that ran to the tanks off the fuel valve and blew air into them. They were good. Next I removed the fuel valve, (the wife refused and the dog never listens) After giving it a test in all positions I came the conclusion that gas still tastes bad and the fuel valve was fine. The port tank was connected where the main feed should have been and the main feed was connected to where the port should have been. Reinstalled blow tested all ok now. Makes you wonder about the factory assembly people. I wonder about why the factory would install antisiphon valves and not cut the fuel pick ups on a 45 degree angle since everyone else besides me seems to know about it. This boating stuff really is an adventure. Thanks for the advice, you folks make it so easy. If you guys hadn't had to pull your tanks too I'd have been really pissed off about this. Thanks for the guidance and have a great weekend.
D.D.
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave D.,

You shouldn't feel too alone regarding your boat's fuel plumbing errors.

My boat came with a nice fuel selector switch and a little diagram on the lazerette door showing which way to turn the selector for stb/port/or 'off.' Well, my boat was plumbed exactly WRONG. With the selector set to stb, it was actually drawing off the port tank and vice versa. I simply needed to re-label the valve diagram but it was a little frustrating at first trying to figure out why the "empty" tank was full of fuel.

My fuel gauge selector switch on the dash was reversed as well. That was easy enough to fix but, if the craftsmen at the factory had known what they where doing, why would that be necessary? I guess dyslexia is an equal opportunity disorder Crying or Very sad

I've talked to other Cape Cruiser owners with the same fuel plumbing problems; I guess when C Dory got the hulls they also got the fouled up plumbing schematic. What are the odds of that?

/david
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave D.,both boats with the fuel pickup issue were CC built boats . Yours is CD marine group. Could easily be different tanks with different pickup systems and still have incorrect valve plumbing .
Marc

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: fuel tanks Reply with quote

HI guys my fuel selecter was backwards also .The selecter when pointing to the eng is starboard tank and pointing down is port tank so I just used a sharpie pen and put diagrams to show which tank is being used . Also tell your friends and wife or(significant other) how to do this .

I still love this boat even with some exaserating moments fuel problems ,elec problems etc .I'm hoping all the gremlins are out of this boat by now .Happy 4th of July get out and use your boat fix it or clean it another day

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Edward Thieme

City/Region: Boulder
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rambler
Photos: Rambler
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fuel pick up tube problems go down the list to Fuel Tank Pickup Tube. I think this will cure all problems with fuel pickup tubes. Since I have changed mine in the 22 and now 25 I haven't had any problems. The new pickup tube also allowed me to get 5 extra gal. out of the tank in the C 25.

Ed on "Rambler"
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ed,

I've just read the thread you reference....do you have any photos of the fuel pickup set-up to which you switched?

I wonder if installing a shorter length of softer (more flexible) fuel pick up hose with the 'L' bent piece of copper or aluminum tubing friction fitted into the distal end such that the new metal pick up tube would lie on the bottom of the tank. I think this would accomplish what you described. It would avoid the use of pesky compression fittings at the least.

/david
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: