The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SPLASH WELL MODIFICATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that concerned about taking water, just improving the wasted space of the well and making something useful with it.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill & Brenda - Harvey's wedge on Sleepy C is pure function. I did one for my first Far West II twelve years ago. Virtually identical. Had a few of my fellow boaters caution me about "what if" you swamped the boat, etc. Mine sat there mainly by gravity. With that much water it would probably float away. Go for it. John
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There are two reasons we have not put a splash well height increase is that we don't see a major risk of taking water over the stern, and we like to be able to get into the splash well for getting ashore (stern too) and occasionally for fishing, and dinghy boarding etc.

I'm with you.....The over the back scenario with the water is extremely unlikely to happen. And if things get that snotty, well if that wave didn't get you, the next one will. But, I do like how many folks have used the space.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: waterboarding Reply with quote

Yellowstone said:
Quote:
"Harvey's wedge on Sleepy C is pure function."

Sorry, must be wrong guy, SleepyC still does not have one Mr. Green although I still do like the idea, and yes, to avoid an aft-end "waterboarding" incident. Cry

And that mistake, (referencing the above or below post), is not all that hard to do, I have done it myself several times Embarrased

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the cooler rack/platform concept for the following reasons:

If you design a cooler rack/table so that it fits down against the top of the front of the engine well, it blocks any incoming "poop" water.

The cooler can be removed, and the table also used for cooking, fish cleaning, and/or whatever else you design it for.

The platform/cooler rack/table can be designed to set half way into the cockpit and halfway back into the engine well, so that the motor can still be tilted up.

This still allows getting the cooler up off the floor, which is a major floor space improver and convenience item. Your 2/3'rds of a cockpit (with the cooler on the floor) becomes a full cockpit again. You have to experience the change in foot room to fully understand this. Especially fishing and fighting fish.

When the cooler is placed on the floor, it can be used to sit on with or w/o a pad, and can be moved over to make a "step" to help get into and out of the boat.

With the cooler on the floor as a step, steping first on it and then secondly on the platform provides a stepway to the swim platform.

With the cooler on the platform and the top of the cooler padded with carpet, it becomes a handy space to set fishing items on. Designing an easily removable tray can organize this space. Many coolers have a small door on one end so that the tray can be left on the cooler top and the small door opened to get to drinks, etc.

You can put the cooler on the floor, use it as a step, stand on the platform, and cast lures or cast fly fishing equipment.

All these are very real advantages I've experience with the cooler platform set-up, and I recommend it highly!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have not had a chance to take pictures of my fish hold. So I thought I would give alike to the guy i got the idea from. Coop's boat is a set up a little different then mine. His fish box is removable where mine is not. I dont know if his would take being stepped on the way mine can. Susan and I have both been on it just fine. Thats 400lbs( mostly me). Any way its a great Idea and he deserves the credit for coming up with it. fish well
Bill and Brenda Russell

City/Region: Stamps AR
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Falcon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

I have just returned 2/6/2009 from a short cruise on the ICW west of Morgan City LA and the Avery Island area. While anchored there was a small amount of water that splashed into the cockpit from high wind and a tow's wake.

This modification is still on my mind but has diminished after reading all the post that this in not a dangerous threat.

If you are in south Arkansas along highway 82 west you should call me.

Bill and Brenda Russell 870-533-2663

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: