The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Zincs - Clean or Replace?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Zincs - Clean or Replace? Reply with quote

After last season, I took the boat to a Honda dealer for a once over on the motor. I asked him about the zincs, and he advised replacing them every season regardless of their condition. I bought a new complete set, and it seems to me it was a little over fifty bucks for the works.

The zincs I removed, like the ones on there after this year, scarcely show any deterioration. They have very minor pits, and are coated with a light dusting of white. A quick once over with a wire brush, and they are as clean as new.

If the Honda guy was corrct in what he told me, then my question is why? The anodes are still solid, there is very little of the material gone, and they clean up good as new. They're still made of zinc, aren't they? Why won't they continue to do their job through another year? I don't mind springing for a new set, but I am opposed to just tossing money away for nothing.

So - remove, inspect and clean? Or replace?

Thanks,

Mike

Beets me, but I say clean them. I remember reading somwhere about refreshing their effectivness that way.

Mike:

The reason the guy wanted you to buy new zincs is $$$$$$$$ in his pocket. Replace them when you need it. You could go years on the same zincs if you trailer to fresh water. Even in the worst environement, tied up in a "hot" marina, you will have a great variance in zinc life. On my big boat, I had a couple I had to replace monthly when in a marina, others never needed replacement. If you don't have shore power aboard, and you tilt your outboard totally out of the water, no problem. But, many C-Dorys sit low in the stern and parts of the motor mount will be submerged.

No need to brush them off, they will work just fine without any attention. Obviously, don't paint over them. Smile

later....Roy

Hi Mike,

I agree totally with Roy ... $$$$.

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: