The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Nordic Tugs 26 Announcement - A post from SENTOA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
State or Province: WA
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been enjoying some nice NW weather on the water (without the laptop) and am a bit behind on this discussion. Like James TXSD, I find it interesting although it's unlikely to change any opinions. Thank goodness there are a fairly large number of choices out there since when it comes to boating, there is no "one size - fits all". About the only thing we could all probably agree on is that various sized C-Dorys, C-Rangers and Nordic Tugs are all good boats for someone.

A comment or two about previous posts.

Thanks to Westward for providing some data. The unfortunate part is that it all may be somewhat meaningless since there does not appear to be any real standardization when it comes to measuring boats. Something as simple as LOA (length overall) is muddied by the fact that some manufacturers include the bowsprit if the boat has one and others don't. So even something as simple as how long is it? - may not be consistent boat to boat. You certainly can't depend upon the name since some manufacturers of boats include the swim platform and others don't. (Some like the Camano change their definition which makes it even more interesting - the Camano 29 is now a Camano 31). And weight. Displacement and weight are not equivalent. Displacement is a theoretical calculation by the designer - nobody ever measures it for real. As long as it is done consistently for large boats, it has some uses and value. For the recreational small boat, it is rather useless. For a trailerable boat, it might prove worse than useless since if you're deciding on a tow vehicle, you need to know what the boat (and trailer) weigh - not the theoretical displacement of the boat.

Thataway is right to steer the conversation back to the boats quoted in the earlier post that generated this discussion - neither of which has been built yet. They may not even prove to be comparable.

Having spent some more time recently on my Nordic Tug, I will, however, stick firmly with my earlier comments. It's the details - the fit and finish; the precison and clear labeling of all wiring, plumbing, pumps and parts; access; it's redundancy; and on and on. It's experience and it's aiming at different market but the result in my mind is a higher quality product. We're not talking a Rolls Royce versus Yugo difference here - both of which fundamentally do the same thing - it's the difference between two good boats for different people with different uses in mind. As James TXSD says, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

garyk

City/Region: Ketchum
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: AMIGO 11
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Austin wrote: "We have long distance cruised boats from 20 to 62 feet in length--and certainly agree that there is a huge difference in both comfort and amenities".

Bob,
How does the C.D Tomcat 255 fit in this discussion?
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dog: I'm curious as to your description and observations re the handling and seakeping of your Nordic 26. I've heard different things about this over the years, but have never really heard from someone who actually owned one. I assume the new 26 will be like the old if they're "popped out of the same molds" as indicated previously. I would also encourage input from Rosborough RF246 owners here. Many of us dream of something a bit bigger and more heavily built for the longer excursions we hope to take in the future. Thanks, Mike.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryK asks how the Tom Cat 255 fits in the discussion (I assume size and "cruisability"). I look at the Tom Cat and C Dory 25 as being very comperable boats, with a slightly larger bunk on the Tom Cat, a better ride and faster boat over the CD 25, but not really directly comperable to the trawlers. In my opinion, the Tom Cat has a better ride in any seas up to 3.5 feet than any trawler near this size (and even up to that of a 42 foot trawler we owned). The CD 25 is slower, but is certainly equal a cruising boat for coastal work.

After our several months on the 25 this summer, Marie had a list of several items she would desire in a small cruising boat--these included a 3 burner gas stove with an oven, and a stall shower. The Ranger 24 or Nordic 26 do not have these--you have to go the Nordic 32 to get this (I don't know what the Ranger 29 will have, but if it has these two features, we would be interested in buying one).

Most of our boats have been sailboats, but our two pilothouse motorsailors (46 and 62 feet) were similar to trawlers--but more effecient. We also owned a 30 foot Carver which had a single diesel--had a stall shower, the three burner stove and oven, plus an aft cabin as well as a foreward good size cabin....a lot of boat for the size--and we also owned a 42 foot trawler, which again has much more space and amenities than any 26 foot boat.

The Speed, ride and large bunk are what sold us on the Tom Cat. (we find that the head in the Tom Cat is slightly easier to shower in than the CD 25). But again--a lot of difference between the slower trawlers--and certainly less effecient in the use of fuel--which is certainly one of the real pluses of the small trawlers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westward - can't address the handling of the Nordic 26 since mine is a 32 but I can say that it handles very well.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I assume that the "Ranger 29" was not a typo--and that we know very little about the Ranger 29 (but perhaps the dealers know much more than has been released).

No -- I started my conversation with Skip by asking him when I would be able to see the Ranger 29 and he said, at the SBS. That's when I asked him how it would stack up against the new Nordic 26.

Too bad I will miss the intro of the Ranger 29, as I will be on the Gulf Coast then.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
garyk

City/Region: Ketchum
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: AMIGO 11
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I thought you would be the person to compare the Tomcat with the other, under 30' cruising boats. We have loged over 6000 mi. with our Tomcat. Two trips from Anacortes Wa to SE Alaska. The Tomcat is a very comfortable boat for two and manageable for three. It's speed is very desirable when making those long open-water crossings. Usually taking advantage of the three hours of flat water at day break. As you pointed out it handles three foot seas very well. ( on a beam reach it excells ), It has the option to slow to eight to ten knots and achieve trawler economy. Compared to monohulls of simular size, the cabin space appears much larger. If one is looking for a trailable cruising boat under 30' with extreme versatility the Tomcat should be considered.
Garyk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: