The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Quick poll for R25 owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakelab

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Quick poll for R25 owners Reply with quote

How many owners of the R-25 keep their vessel moored in the water compared to those who keep them on trailers? For those owners who keep them in the water I have a few more questions.

If in salt water do you feel there are adequate zincs on the boat or do you hang extra overboard? I know this can vary .

If the the cockpit drains clog does the rain water flow out under the transom door or does it enter the bilge?

We are considering the purchase of the R25 and will be keeping it mostly at a marina in fresh/brackish water. Any input or experiences/issues will be most appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

lakelab

Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We keep our R25 in Puget Sound. Our drains have never clogged. We added one zinc to each trim tab.
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We keep Island Ranger in the water and it has been just over a year (April 2007) since she went in.

For salt water, the prop nut zinc alone is not adequate, need to add the trim tab zincs, and still you should check constantly. The electrical connection for the zinc using the hinge of the trim tab is not the best in the world. It is easy to check - some simple equipment is required.

If you are really staying in fresh water, you might explore fresh water anodes (magnesium I think) instead of zinc.

The other major factor is stray current where you park. It can eat through zincs in a hurry (I know, ours dissappeared in one month). At a minimum, I would ensure you have a working galvanic isolator.

The cockpit drains are limited and clog easy with debris, but do handle the rain just fine. We keep the cockpit canvas up in the winter (rainy season) anyway. Any overflow just runs down to the bildge and gets pumped out by the bildge pump.

Mac
henrym

City/Region: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Little Toot
Photos: Little Toot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: R-25 Reply with quote

I keep my R-25 on a lift off the Indian River because this area is know as barnacle junction. If you are going to leave your boat attached to shore power, I strongly advise installing a galvanic isolator on the 110 Volt green ground wire. Yes, the cockpit drain covers do easily clog up. The water during heavy FL rains will then have to go to the bilge. I have drilled the drain cover holes larger to alleviate the clogging and have often toyed with the idea of removing the two aft drain covers so as to carry off the water during heavy downpours. I added zincs to the trim tabs and rudder.
Henry in Vero
lakelab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: quick poll Reply with quote

Thanks to all for you replies and input.
lakelab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: quick poll Reply with quote

oops... thanks to all for your replies and input. Guess I need a grammar check as well.
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom paint if left in the water. salt or fresh. Mine will always be on the trailer except when cruising. Which can be months at a time. Zinks for sure if left in a marina. Than a big one over the side won't hurt. Good insurance. You will see a lot of boats with their power cable hanging in the water. Not good for you.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: