The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

live bait tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rokjok777

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Squidward
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: live bait tank Reply with quote

looking for a live bait solution for my 22 Cruiser. I thought maybe in the motor well, leave enough room for the engine cables, make a little platform, maybe a 32" long oblong one would fit. I want a real solution and have heard about many systems that don't work right. Ideas?
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to plumb my Port side lazarette and put in a recirc pump. I have all the parts but have not taken on the project yet.
It should hold a scoop if not slightly less.
I plan to chum with chopped bait then throw the live bait to get them boiling and enjoy some fine light tackle Tuna fishing.
It will drain over the side and I look forward to using that feature for a fish box during Salmon season.
I'll add pics when I get it done.
I got the recirc pump/areator from Cabellas.
While this will not hold as much as a floor mount bait tank I think it will suit my needs.
I am looking forward to your solution.
I think one of the California boats has a nice bait tank mounted amid the stern above the splash well. It is a very clean install and has added support.
Good luck with your quest....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 19 gal live bait tank which I can remove when it's not being used. My tank will handle almost a scoop. I think your lazarette will handle less than you think. Some people convert a plastic garbage can to a live bait tank with very good results. I know you have to consider weight and space allocation. I to looked very close at the lazarette, but in the end opted for the removable tank. When your through using live bait, cap the hoses and remove the tank, easy as that. Anchovies will also get red noses from banging into the corners of the lazarette. Another possibility is one of those canvas bags that hang over the side.

Go to ALLCOAST.com and search "live bait" it's a popular subject.

I plan to do some fishing out of Oregon and I'd be happy to show you how mine works.

Old Mr. Bill Cool
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to WWW.ALLCOAST.COM do NOT buy from Live-Bait-Larry. That guy is an A$$. Both Ron (Islander) and I bought our tank kits from him and both of our bait pumps were no good. Larry and I have had several conversations about his lack of custormer service.
I will say that he has great prices, so, if you do decide to buy from him be sure and tell him that Roger King (yupurs on AllCoast) tried to talk you out of it.
Here's the pics of my bait tank install
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Fishtales&id=Bait_Tank&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Rokjok777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tell me what tank you bought, it looks perfect, thanks. Thanks for the advice about LiveBait Larry too, he had been recommended to me
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 17 gallon Kodiak tank. Holds a good half scoop of bait.

I use the stern mount bait pump. The original pump lasted 3 or 4 trips before burning up. When I talked with Larry about replacing it, he didn't want to talked about-- too busy -- call later-- call later-- ect, ect. So I bought another pump from a marine store and returned the bad one a couple weeks later for a refund.
I also bought a couple of hoop nets from Larry and when I got my credit card statement the charge did not match my receipt. There was an extra oversize shipping charge. When I called him on it he started getting hostile. There is a small print blurb on his website that states that there may be an extra charge for oversize shipping. There was no mention of the extra charge on my e-receipt.
He started posting sales info on the AllCoast fishing board and after I posted the above info he called me to complain that I was just trying to hurt his business- HA. He looked up my purchases on his computer and knew just what I bought from him. He told me that everyone would back him up. Then he posted that we had talked called me a liar because he had a good return policy. I posted that- yes, he did call and we did talk but he still was unwilling to make good on the pump. There was about a dozen posts that said they had trouble with Larry, too.
A couple weeks later, there was a package at the door when I got home. It was a bilge pump from Larry to replace the bad pump. The only problem is, he sent the wrong pump. Now remember, he has a record of what I bought. The pump he sent was the $20 variety, the stern mount bait pump costs $70.
Sorry for rambling on.
Larry's prices are good and there is nothing wrong with the tank kit, just be ready to replace the pump. Maybe he learned his lesson and stopped buying the manufacturer seconds for pumps.--- yea, right.
Rokjok777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on Larry.
I saw you mounted your tank partially on the edge of the motor well, did you make a support for the other part of the tank?
Also maybe you can tell me what kind of pump you got. Thanks for all the help and advice.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kodiak stern mount pump
Rokjok777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you use a support for the tank in the motor well, if so, any details? Thanks for all the help.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see more pics of the tank and support here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: