Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Boat lighting Reply with quote

So I don't hi-jack the boating accident thread, I'll start a new one. So, Bob. Do you think our boats are adequately illuminated or should we be upgrading? I notice that many of the boats I see out after dark are difficult to see and even when I'm traveling at slow night time speeds, they can be pretty close by the time I spy them.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I'm not Bob, but what lighting are you talking about? Nav Lights? If not, any other lighting topside at night will only confuse other boaters. If your Nav lights are working properly, with the proper bulbs in there, that's all that should be necessary.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience many boats standard navigation lights are inadequate. This can be simply that they are not very bright or that owners have installed other things blocking the light. Over the summer I watched a neighbor come in on his Grady and the all around white light was not visible from in front of his boat because of the Radome location and speed he was running.

I do know that our lights meet USCG regulations, but I don't know how easy they are to see. My general policy at night is to monitor the radar closely and avoid everyone else.

I think the original poster is asking Bob if he thinks the lights that come on C-Dory's are bright enough since he mentioned in another post that he has replaced running lights that he didn't think were bright enough on previous boats.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago on one of the Delta cruises I was told that my white light was not visable from behind as it was in front of the dome.....so I went to West Marine and bought a new light....with a longer shaft....probably about 4' long...... and now it is way high....and easily visable in 360 degrees..... easy cure...

Joel
SEA3PO
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C-Dorys I've seen running after dark have been easy to spot with their stock nav lights.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking the C Dories have adquate navigation lights. Some of the problems which arise are: The all around white light being too low and obscured by radar or other objects. A few C Dories had separated aft light and foreward steaming light.

Another issue is the separation of red and green--again in the C Dory this seems to be fairly well addressed (you should only be able to see both when the boat is heading directly toward you. I have seen boats where the course was 20 degrees off the straight ahead line, and you could see both red and green.

Probably the best upgrade would be to be sure that the all around white light is the maximum wattage which the fixture will handle. The rules call for a 2 mile visability for the white light and one mile for the red and green sidelights. Going to the next size up gives 3 miles white and 2 miles red and green. My Tom Cat has the 15 watt 2 mile visability red and green.

My comment was aimed mostly at the very small deck or hull mounted lights, especially the bicolor side lights which often are not visiable at a mile, with any haze or fog. I did put a larger bulb in the all around white light in the Tom Cat, and a higher pole on the C Dory 25.

Another issue, is hazing of the lenses of these lights--often the UV will destroy the plastic and decrease the transparency of the lense.

As far as my larger boats; I went up to 25 watt side lights, and 50 watt white light.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on, as usual. I noticed that the newer16 footer has a raised red/green forward. On the 'older' boats (including my 2004) the single fixture is flush with the foredeck and probably easily blocked by the bow. Thanks for raising this issue.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most stock manufactured lights are adequate. Especially on dark nights with minimal backlighting. In areas where there are a lot of other lights to clutter the visual image, none of them are all that great. Elliott Bay is a tough place on some nights with all the ships, boats, the waterfront lights. Greys Harbor is one of the worst I have experienced. As you cross the bar inbound there are a ton of lights to the east and most are very bright. Running lights on small boats will be virtually invisible. Navaid lights will be difficult to see until you are right on top of them. The background is at least as important as the lights themselves. The thing that never ceases to amaze me is the lights on fishing boats off in the distance on a dark night at sea. To me they always give the illusion of being distinctly downhill.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Night running Reply with quote

Due to several things this last weekend, (heavy overcast, and probably poor planning on my part as well) I was out on the water, looking for the entry into a fairly circuitous channel entry after dark. Due to the rapid onset of the dark, our dusk light time was about 3 minutes that night, and then we were in the dark. I did have the all around light mounted before we left, expecting it to be dusk (not dark) prior to our arrival, and I did have a spot light onboard and plugged in. I was thankful for the radar and the time I had spent with it on prior to, but I was wishing for just a hint of light to light up the face buttons on the Raymarine display. They are not backlighted except for the soft buttons at the bottom. I did not know that before (we just don't run after dark). Anyone using something that works for helm station light for emergency night running. I do have a couple of the solar Starship LED lights, but even that, with 1 red LED was much to bright. I also had a small LED flashlight, cupped in my hand that worked, but it had white lite. Found the most comfortable for viewing was to stand and look out the open center window, with frequent checks on the radar/plotter screen.

ONE thing I would do different, even running at 3 - 4 knots was a bit spooky, (crab floats, logs, traffic etc), would be to shut one engine down and raise it up out of the water.

I did talk to a tug and tow about 1 mile off and he did report seeing me both on the radar and the lights.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy both neutral density filters or red filters for many sized lights. Colored plastic, (smoke/gray or red) and dim down the light that way. We have a light on a flexiable arm over the dash area, which has a red filter. We also have red LED's built into the overhead lights with switches where necessary. Another good reason to know the buttons by feel so you don't have to take the eyes off the water. Also I usually have my wife watch the chart plotter and radar and I keep my eyes on the "road". Also sometimes putting foam (like wrapping water pipes) over SS railings will decrease the flash back from running lights.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleepyC,

We run quite a bit at night between Anacortes and Decatur Island. Like Bob said, it helps to know where the buttons are on the plotter and radar. We keep a handheld spotlight ready to illuminate anything that we can't otherwise identify or to warn other boats of our presence if they do not respond on VHF 16 or don't appear to see us.

Regardless who has the right of way, I take evasive action to avoid collisions. Assume that the other boats don't see you. Keep a careful eye on the radar and also out the windows for floating debris that doesn't show up on radar.

We typically run at between 16 and 18 knots, but if anything appears out of the ordinary we slow down until we can figure out what is around us. Boating at night in the San Juans is, in my opinion, much easier than in more heavily populated areas because there are not many lights on shore to confuse things. A properly lit boat stands out and the radar does a tremendous job of showing boats far before you can see them with your eye.
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Navigation light replacement Reply with quote

Has anyone found a good replacement LED or complete light unit + LED for the Navigation lights on a CD22. My regular bulbs burn out several times per year- there is often condensation inside the plastic perko light cover.

Has anyone put a bicolor up front on the railing - [one meter below anchor light? If so what brand?

Are internal battery LED bicolors illegal for CD22 since we have an onboard power system?

Thanks

Jim
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I replaced my all around with a fold-down mount style. This is so I don't have to remove the light at high tide to get under the RR bridge.

I bought a Hella LED All Round/Anchor Light. Not cheap, but a very well built, long lasting and approved by USCC to 2 NM. Bulb should never need replaceing.

I bought it at Fisheries Supply, part number 959910621.

Fisheries Supply

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
cbull

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: knot yankee
Photos: Knot Yankee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some are running with the anchor lights on. Good way to get into a bad situation. And a ticket if the man is around.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi those are some nice looking lights but I can't tell from the picture do they fit in the stock receptacle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: