The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

To trailer or not to trailer...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everybody who took the time to reply here and in the PMs. Just for the record that makes 16 for and 0 against, including an offer to sell me one at a very reasonable price. Particularly thank you to Byrdman for his comment about buying a pair of blue jeans and being honest with myself about how I will be using the boat.

It's amazing how much sales pressure there is to get everything for the boat right away. Just the other day I discovered that the 'must have' list of electronics runs $10k - $15k, despite the fact that I have always been happy with a map and compass and taking sightings off the shore. When I posted, I thought the choice was whether of not to take the one the dealer was offering, and to decide quick, before delivery date, yes or no.

After reading the responses, I can see that a trailer is more then an accessory, it is a component of the boat, enabling it to reach it's full potential. Choosing one should not be done as an afterthought, merely grabbing an accessory, but should be an careful, deliberate, independent decision in order to make sure that I end up with the trailer that is right for me. Fortunately, there is a ton of material in the archive here to help me with that.

Once again, thank you very much.

David

Last edited by mailbox101 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: not boatless Reply with quote

David,

Congrats on your new boat, and I hope you have much fun with it. I am not sure what was recommended to you for electronics, but the $$ seem quite high, even if the dealer/supplier does the installation. I believe your approach of adding it when you need it is fine...

Steve

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mailbox101-

You're going to want to have your hands on that new boat all the time for the first year or two you own it, just to look at it, think about it, do the modifications you want, and ready it up for trips.

Later, after you've got it all set up, you may want to leave it in a slip in a marina, but working on a boat that's remote from your home is much harder than having it on a trailer in the driveway or in your garage. All your tools and materials are right there at home, and you never know what all you'll need to complete the job.

I get just as much fun out of having the boat home to work on it as I do cruising around, and I can do it for 10 minutes or 10 hours, and whenever I want, not having to travel to it and commit to a half-day, day -long, or weekend period to do it.

More reasons to have that trailer!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such luck here. I live on a steep hillside. Even my driveway is above grade, and it's not even big enough for my 16' Gregor. The consolation prize is that at least the marina is only about 10 minutes away, and they do have trailer storage.

My old boat is 74 years old and required a lot of upkeep so I got a second set of tools to keep dockside. Got cheap ones too so I don't get upset when they become corroded from being dropped in the bilge one too many times.

Anyway, thanks for the thought.

David
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is in a marina five to eight minutes away. I love it, especially when the salmon are in and there is a one plus hour line at the launch for launching in or hauling out. I use my boat more and get to use it more per day because time is not lost launching or retrieving it.

That said, I love my trailer. It is a super heavy duty galvanized model (yes, aluminum is better, just ask the Florida guys) with tandem axles and it hauls the boat great, steady for hundreds of miles increasing my usability and flexibility of the whole system. You'll need at least a 3/4 ton truck and if you don't have one, you bought too much boat or you'd better be prepared to pay through the nose for marina accessed repairs (which as Patrick said, are inevitable). The trailers too take maintainence and that must be upkept or you'll regret it. Still, for repairs in the off season, and especially DURING the SEASON, for tinkering in the yard, a trailer is a great thing to have. Of course, so is a circular driveway and a shelter large enough to hold your boat on its trailer...... oh the costs of our addictions. CW.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: