The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New England and East 2009 Cruise Planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smuttynose

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snap Out Of It
Photos: Snap Out Of It
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, I'm In! Add me to your list. I would love, however, to suggest to you and everyone responding to your post of thinking about heading NORTH instead of the other way. Look at a chart. Over two thousand miles of coast from Plum Island National Part to Lubic, ME. It has been designed by God for gunk-holeing with C-Dorys! Peruse my profile and take a peek at my pics. I have recently retired after teaching for 42 years. I purchased a 22' in Baltimore, trailered it up to my home port of Portsmouth, NH. It now lives at BG's Boat House in Sagamore Creek.

Currently I am involved with a group of a dozen or so caretakers called the Smuttynose Stewards (formally known as the Smuttynose Rangers). We are responsible for the preservation and stewardship of both the island of Smuttynose and Malaga Island (connected with a jetty built ca1770 and mostly destroyed during the Blizzard of 78. It is one of the nine islands that comprise the Isles of Shoals.

David

Bottom line. We could gather in Gosport Harbor, which at times can be crowded in the summer (bad news). But I own a mooring and the island's two owners each own one also. Rafting could accomodate many. Google the Star Island Corporation for info on the Hotel on Star Isalnd for possible lodging and meals. Take a look at the site for the Cornell Marine Lab on Appledore . Get info on Audubons' Duck Island, magor habitat for Harbor seals. Seacoastnh.com is good also
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea. Work on it.

I heard once that a sailer had sailed into Star Island off season only to be met by a caretaker who would not let him land. I hope things have gotten better.

Fred

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred -
Good on ya! Live life each day as though it is your last one - some day it will be. Glad you are responding so well to the wake up call, and that you will be cruising extensively next year and not 'waiting' for the Inn to sell.

We had our wake up also - although physically and mentally active with our extensive boating and walking - the wake-up for us (a stroke) was to get us on a proper diet. The ice-cream is gone (except for fat-free) and so is the red meat. Being a vegetarian is challenging and delicious - been amazed at how much good stuff is out there and what fun it can be to prepare.

We are contemplating next year's cruising, now that we have just completed the past three months living on Halcyon. Your ideas are sure tempting. We circumnavigated Long Island in Halcyon some years ago, before there were many C-Dory owners in the Northeast:

http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/longisland.htm

Keep the posts coming and keep up the temptations -- we might get up the energy for another cross-country trailer trip and join you on some of those cruises. We have sure enjoyed your company (and that of the N. England C-Dory owners). Cheers -

ffheap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

Would love to have you back East.

I now go to Heart School three times a week. I lost about 15#. Got about 10 to go. Eating much better. Still have to stay on my toes.

I went off Island last week and attended a wake of a very healthy guy who was still working and playing a lot of golf. He went to bed one night and never woke up. I could not understand what happened until his brother reminded me that he was a smoker. They were talking how lucky he was not to suffer. I was talking about he leaving us to soon.

I am very lucky. I have never smoked, and have had this wakeup call. It has made me a healthier man.

At our age, when we open the door, either it is a wakeup call or a widow maker.

Thank you for caring.

Fred
ffheap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROGRESS.

I had a talk with some of the people in Hingham. The best time for the meet would be before May 15th. One of the Launch Services will cooperate with us.

As I see it, we could start on Wednesday for some and do the Charles River and/or the Mystic River. The next day we could do the Islands of Boston Harbor. I will get more info for you.

I will try and get a tour of Boston Light. The last time I talked with the Lightkeeper, she didn't want a lot of boats tied up to their pier. The launch person could take us out and back for a small fee. We could anchor a bunch of boats off the Island and use one as a launch like we did at Cuttyhunk Island.

I would love to have a cookout at my house which is a short walk from Hingham Harbor. I think Saturday would be good.

Will let you know about more info as it develops.

Fred
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great cruising folks are also found on American Great Loop Cruisers Association (AGLCA). Some basic info on www.greatloop.com

I have been a member of this organization for years. Like many of our C-Brats, great folks...and they do cruise...but, unlike us...they tend to be in the 35-45 foot range...but we are making way in that group now too.

Any of our C-Brats reading this link would like to become a member drop me a PM or email.

Terry (LAST DANCE) and I attended in Charleston in April 08 and they will get together there again in April 09... Some great stuff, great folks.

And yes... I will be watching this link.... Always up for some cruising and places I have not been.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Fred - Good news about the slowing of the kidney problem. Yep, prayer works, and we'll keep after it for you good folks.

Any plan of coming westerly overland? If you get anywhere near the Denver area, we have a spare bedroom here at our condo in Lakewood and would love to visit with you guys.
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: COUNT RABBIT'S HUTCH IN Reply with quote

Hey all,

I should be home from Iraq by the end of July. Please count me in for weekend or other trips up to 1 and 2 weeks long.

Please add me to any email listings or other lists for these group events. I can be reached at cptgaryross@aol.com

Cant think of anything better to do with my time Very Happy

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, you now need to go to the Nerds and ask them to set up an "event" for you on the dates you have chosen for the Boston Harbor (or Hingham) Gathering. Sounds like you've got a lot of interest, and once that's done, it'll show up on the top of the page and you'll have a separate discussion forum and a list of folks who have signed up. Good luck...Wish we were closer!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred - As we discussed last fall, my attendance is dependent on finding a better trailer. That said, maybe folks thinking about hooking up might want to first get together at one of the winter boat shows -perhaps Providence in January or the New England show in Boston in February. I'm going to Providence and will probably go to Boston as well. Unfortunately these shows web sites suggest there will be C-Dorys on display Cry

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
ccflyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should read: Unfortunately these shows web sites suggest there will be NO C-Dorys on display Cry
Jim and Anne

City/Region: Cape Cod
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: CompanionShip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Anne and I hope to be joining Fred and the group for Boston Harbor cruising. Our plan would be to trailer the boat to Weymouth (where I grew up and will be able to park the truck and trailer at my sister's house). If you have not found a trailer for Retriever by then we could drop our boat and then head back to the Cape and haul you up there as well.
Jim
ccflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

Thanks for that generous offer. It made me realize I don't have to upgrade my trailer for just this event so.....

The Retriever will probably go back to its slip in April.

If it looks like I can attend maybe I can find someone who is already in for the season and has their trailer sitting empty.

BTW: Did you notice the town left in the floats at Gateway Marina? I didn't pull the boat until 12/10 and got the impression Eric Shufelt would be OK with my leaving it in over the winter.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**BUMPING AN OLD THREAD**

Has anyone heard from the OP of this thread (Fred from MA)? I hope his medical issues improved...

I would love to get another East Coast C Dory meetup started sometime. There are CD's out here!! But no cohesiveness!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred has sold the Inn on Nantucket and his vintage C-Dory, and is now living in Plymouth MA according to a friend that ran into him last year. He's doing well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: