The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yanmar verses Cummins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Yanmar verses Cummins Reply with quote

I studied both engines and I found they are somewhat comparable with regard to quality - what is the general opinion of the Yanmar 4JH3-HTE 100hp FWC Diesel Engine and the new Cummins QSD 2.0L 130 HP electronically-controlled diesel other than power. Is either any quieter than the other - and what is the average speed of the two engines.

I found a used R25 with the Yanmar 100 hp.

Thanks

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yanmar engine specs along with power graphs are at: http://www.yanmarmarine.com/
The Cummins engine specs are at:
http://marine.cummins.com/mrn/public_cummins/home

The boat I sea trialed had the 125 Yanmar and I would consider as a 10 to 12 knot boat max--probably better suited for the 8 knot to 10 knot speed range. There is not a lot of difference in the performance of the 100 and the 125 Yanmar (which was discontinued because of emissions issues).

The 150 Cummins definately will cruise in the 15+ knot range. The Cummins seems quieter, and in the long run would have better resale value. I would choose the 150 over the 130, although they are basically the same block.

Both are great boats. My only criticism major criticism of the early boats was the noise level of the genset. Hopefully that has been resolved.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early R 25s had the 125 Yanmar. The later ones had the 110 H.P. There was never a 100 H.P. For those that want the additional speed, the Cummins 150 is the way to go . Bob , Ill have one in the water for us to play on at the gathering .
Marc

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, Yanmar did make a 100 hp the: 4JH3_HTE [100mhp]. It was replace by the 4JH4 HTE (110 mhp). I am not sure if maybe Ranger used some of the 100 hp engines in the early boats??? I do know that many of the later boats had the 110 hp. Either way, it made little difference in the speed.
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I was concerned with the Cummins engines since in 08, they made their truck diesel engines meet 2010 emissions and the mileage of the Cummins went from 18-22 mpg in 07 with the 5.9 to only 12-15 mpg with the new 6.7 engines. I'm not certain if they did the same for their marine engines. I was wondering if anyone did a fuel usage comparison between the Yanmar and Cummins with similar h.p.

My next question is how quiet is the Mase 2.5 KW Generator in the R25 and is it located in the aft section. I also understand that some 25's have 12K BTU A/C unit and others have a 16K BTU A/C. It would seem the 2.5 would be working its butt off to keep just the A/C going - any info there?

Thanks in advance!
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my comment about the noise above about the generator--it was loud enough that I would not want it-but they may be better insullated now. The problem is the space it is in--and how easy it would be to insullate it well and maintain both access and adequate ventillation for the genset cooling. If I had the boat (and it may be restricted to this generator because of the space), I would put the generator on soft mounts, use lead impreginated vinyl foam, like the Soundown 2 lb per sq foot material on all surfaces, with a baffle and blower for the air intake and to cool the generator portion. Since the 8300 BTU is adequate for the Tom Cat, I suspect that the 12,500 BTU unit would be enough for the C Ranger.
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
See my comment about the noise above about the generator--it was loud enough that I would not want it-but they may be better insullated now. The problem is the space it is in--and how easy it would be to insullate it well and maintain both access and adequate ventillation for the genset cooling. If I had the boat (and it may be restricted to this generator because of the space), I would put the generator on soft mounts, use lead impreginated vinyl foam, like the Soundown 2 lb per sq foot material on all surfaces, with a baffle and blower for the air intake and to cool the generator portion. Since the 8300 BTU is adequate for the Tom Cat, I suspect that the 12,500 BTU unit would be enough for the C Ranger.

There's little doubt it's tough to mask the noise of these little gens - on my Pilot 30 it had a next-Gen generator and man it was noisey - you could hardly talk. Home Depot sells a foil backed foam board (4x8' sheets 1" thick ) and I lined the entire under-deck of the boat with it (liquid nails) In some areas- i put up to three layers and it made a world of difference even for the main engine. The first time i went out after the project it was like i was riding in a different boat.

By the way - where is the Gen mounted - aft?
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp, if you like that Home Depot foam, you would love the lead filled stuff Bob is talking about. It's expensive, but amazingly effective. Screws and large washers are a better long-term choice than Liquid Nails, IMO.

Anyway, here is the 150 Cummins and the genset in the 2009 R-25. Performance and fuel consumption charts for both engine options can be seen on our website.

IdleUp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll have to look into the lead product - the Home Depot foam was only around $8 a sheet, so you can go wild installing it.

Thanks for the shot of the gen - if anything they have it cleverly installed so you have good access to it. A dealer told me they could add the gen for around $7,500 - I looked around and found a new gen for $4,400, so it looks like it might be the thing to do to install it myself and save 3 grand.

Thanks Again!
TomRay
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Comparing apples to apples, the factory genset comes with bronze thru-hull with exterior strainer, seacock, strainer, muffler and exhaust, fuel pickup and return lines and filter, and that little sound shield. All that stuff adds up quick! No doubt you can save some money doing it yourself, and you can get it done with the materials and methods you think best.
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would a guy find this lead filled stuff? Sounds like the way to go.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRay wrote:
You're welcome! Comparing apples to apples, the factory genset comes with bronze thru-hull with exterior strainer, seacock, strainer, muffler and exhaust, fuel pickup and return lines and filter, and that little sound shield. All that stuff adds up quick! No doubt you can save some money doing it yourself, and you can get it done with the materials and methods you think best.

I'm finding it difficult to find the R25 with the Cummins 150 & Gen set. Know of any available?
TomRay
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures I have posted are of in-stock boats at the dealership where I work. I'm not sure what the other dealers have in stock. Andrew at Ranger could probably tell you who has what, and he will also encourage you to work with your area dealership.
IdleUp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the lead insulation product?

Thanks
TomRay
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2" sheet of 2 lb/sq ft foam

Only 267 bucks for a sheet smaller than the ones at Home Depot! Yes, there's a good reason sane people will pay that much for foam. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: