The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Side Guides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Side Guides Reply with quote

When Diana and I were towing Constant Craving all over the backroads of eastern Oregon and central Idaho, I had the lag bolts on the right side guides back out and allow the guide to drop down on the trailer. I just bungied them up and got home safely.

Anyone else had this issue?

I haven't made up my mind whether to replace the lag bolts with a slightly larger size, to use a counter set carriage bolt with the head well below the surface of the guide. Anyone have an opinion?

Steve
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while working on my trailer I had the same problem on one guide. I just redrilled the hole over 1/2 a inch and re-screwed the lags in. the only other option is thru bolts and you would have to counter sink the heads so they would not scratch up your gel coat. All lags are going to fail at some point becasue in salt water they rust and that makes them loose and rots the boards. So unless you get plastic boards and stainless steel lags ypu need to keep a eye on this thing.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen several times on the road. The first time I gooped in a bunch of 5200, but that didn't work. Then I bored out the holes oversize and filled them full of epoxy. After re-drilling pilot holes, I coated the lag screws with more epoxy and and installed them. So far, so good.
Al

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to go with the epoxy fill and redrill technique.

Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the real solution for the lag bolt problem is to install smooth headed carriage bolts with the locking washer set up (looks like a washer with a square hole and spikes pointing downward) that locks the carriage bolt so it won't turn on the inside of the rail, and then you install a fender washer and nylock nut on the outside. This gives you a through-bolt set up. Then you get to recover the guide ons with new carpet, too.

Since the threads of the carriage bolts will be sticking out a bit, cut them off flush or put plastic or rubber tubing on them to eliminate the "meat Hooks". I like to use clear plastic Tygon tubing on mine, as it leaves some of the extra threads intact for disassembly and re-installation, should it be necessary.

Lag bolts fall out with rot, in either salt or fresh water, period!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
helm

City/Region: Medford
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific trailer sent me load guides exactly as described by Joe. The nuts for the carriage bolts are not nylock. Pacific supplies a flat washer, lock washer and nut, all stainless steel. We used lock tite on everything we put together - blue as I recall as it allows things to be taken apart without heating.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helm wrote:
Pacific trailer sent me load guides exactly as described by Joe. The nuts for the carriage bolts are not nylock. Pacific supplies a flat washer, lock washer and nut, all stainless steel. We used lock tite on everything we put together - blue as I recall as it allows things to be taken apart without heating.

I fiogured out the carriage bolt idea a few years back after going through all the lag bolt problems myself, including going to a larger size, moving them, filling the holes with epoxy filler, etc.

This is the third time I've mentioned the carriage bolt solution.

The Locktite is a good idea!

It's good that we can share these ideas here and avoid some of the wasted time figuring everything out over and over again as individuals.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: