View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Worn out seats / anchor line winch Reply with quote

My 1983 22' Angler still has the original seats. They are in terrible condition.
I saw the seats in a 25' CD at the local dealer that looked real good.
I e-mailed the factory and they told me, after a long wait, to contact the seat manuf. and order from them.
Does anyone have a better solution. As my "personal substructure" is wide I need the new seats to be wide like the originals.

I am also looking for a deck winch that will handle 600' of 3/8" line. I anchor in 150' of water with 5-6 knot current and need all of the line every time.

Any ideas for the above 2 problems would be appreciated. Question

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Worn out seats / anchor line winch Reply with quote

Bill - this is Jack in Alaska, who as you can see, NEEDS A PHOTO ALBUM for High Tide...

Jack - I think if the problem is the covering, just get King Marine in Seattle to recover them. If it is something else, then I guess the factory reccommendation is it...

Jack in Alaska wrote:
My 1983 22' Angler still has the original seats. They are in terrible condition.
I saw the seats in a 25' CD at the local dealer that looked real good.
I e-mailed the factory and they told me, after a long wait, to contact the seat manuf. and order from them.
Does anyone have a better solution. As my "personal substructure" is wide I need the new seats to be wide like the originals.

I am also looking for a deck winch that will handle 600' of 3/8" line. I anchor in 150' of water with 5-6 knot current and need all of the line every time.

Any ideas for the above 2 problems would be appreciated. Question

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Seats, etc... Reply with quote

I don't know who manufactured the seats/canvas in 1983, but those items are currently being made by King Canvas in Seattle. You might want to contact Dave at King Canvas:
canvasking@aol.com

As for the windlass - I suspect the issue may not be the windlass, but rather the anchor locker available to store all the anchor line/rode. You might think about removing or remodelling the anchor locker panel and moving it aft a few inches to gain sufficient space. Good luck!

Casey
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Worn out seats / anchor line winch Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Bill - this is Jack in Alaska, who as you can see, NEEDS A PHOTO ALBUM for High Tide...

Pat - I do believe Bill is up north wondering when the heck you're gonna show up with the beer. But the album is set up for Jack, now.

Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those that got a photo album set up for me. Now if I can just get my stubby fat fingers on the correct keys to get pictures put in it I will be happy.

Also thanks for the info on new/recovered seats and a windlass.

By the way.......I got my boat back today with a new lower unit $$$$$$$$
and my kicker tuned up.
Took it out for trials and hooked up two silvers (cohoes). Life is good again. Very Happy
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a place (www.lowelldistributing.com) where you can buy sunbrella at a great price. Also, they sell stainless steel snaps and studs at quantities of 100 dirt cheap! Very helpful and friendly when you call. Shipping is quick and fast. I'm in the process of making snap on window "shades" as pictured in some of the albums.
Thought if you were going to tackle a reupholstering job, this would be a great place to start.
John
Swee'Pea
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ain aside to this thread, I'm wondering how many hours, days, or years of use the upholstery in a C-Dory typically lasts?

I've never really looked closely at another boat to see exactly what the standrd Sunbrella upholstery fabric looks like. Is is much like the Sunbrella canvas?

My "87 has soft woven fuzzy blue material that is (based on my experience working in furniture stores during college) a wool/polyester composite with the wool for the fill, and the polyester for the net structure. After 17 1/2 years, is doesn't show any real wear or significant fading. The only problem has been having to tack down the plastic edging where it tucks under the plywood base once or twice. I'm pretty sure this is the original upholstery. Is this what everybody else has? If not , I wonder if and why they changed it?

Just trying to figure out another piece of the puzzle. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, if RV experience is any measure, the foam inside your upholstery usually starts noticeably dying in about 5-7 years, based on getting good quality foam initially. It's hard to notice foam changes because it's so subtle, but if you buy new, high quality foam and replace the old stuff, it's amazing.

Though as a long time computer operator, my nether region is pretty insensitive....

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks- Thanks for the comments! I assume you're you talking about the foam simply loosing its resiliency long before its apparent breakdown where you can see the foam disintegrating. I'll have to check that out on my cushions, although I'm not sure what to compare it to since all of the samples I have are the same age and any new foam material might not be the same composition. I haven't noticed any softness or changes, but if it's subtle, how do you know?

I'm still wondering if my upholstery is original, and the same as the SuSunbrellaow in use. I've never heard of Sunbrella upholstery material, as opposed to Sunbrella canvas, so does that make the current upholstery Sunbrella canvas, as used in boat covers? If so, it's very different than I have, as noted above.

The question about the material I have and whether it's the same brings up a whole group of discussion points that may be rather sensitive to some owners and the factory.

At the last C-Dog gathering at Lake Shasta in 2001, I met one of our original C-Brat members from whom we haven't heard much lately.

Yellowstone John is a retired school superintendent from Montana, living up in Washington State with his wife, Edna. While looking at and discussing several of the C-Dorys at the get-together, he mentioned that he thought that the boats had been changed in several ways over the years, usually, but not always, for the better.

Most changes were win-win situations, where the factory had made the boat easier and therefore less expensive to put together, and the resulting boat was a better product, such as the change over to stainless handrails and white Decaguard interior cabinets, although some of us with the old teak rails and wood grain interior and doors like the more traditional look, despite the upkeep.

Another example of the win-win situation has been the addition of the powder coating on the windows, which look much better as they match the basic hull off-white background color.

Some other changes, he thought, were not win-win, such as the evolution of the doors on the lazarette compartments. My old style flat ones with the recessed rubber gaskets do leak to the inside somewhat. The later ones with the raised doors are better, but, according to John, had been changed again, not for the better. As I remember, he was saying that the raised lip around the opening had been eliminated, making water entry easier again. This presumably was to facilitate building the deck in the mold and removing it. I hope this is correct, as it's been a few years now.

Another ongoing problem has been the water accumulation/bilge/drainage problem in the 22's. With the fore-aft rocker of the boat, water accumulates when the boat is at rest up at the cabin door entrance, and doesn't move to the bilge well at the transom until the boat is moving and tipped backwards by the engine thrust. Numerous solutions and projects have been attempted by owners and the factory, including the side mounted bilge pump under the galley just inside the bulkhead. Not all have been successful.

At this time, the best appears to be floorboards that level out the cockpit floor. Several have suggested that this be a factory included item and not an option, such as was done with the center opening window for the 2005 model. This, they suggest, would make a better ready-made product and enhance the product's and factory's image. Unfortunately, this would raise the base price of the boat, which is now pegged at just bout $30,000.

The greatest thing about this site is that we can discuss all of these issues and rely on the experience of each other to retro-fit our boats accordingly, and without so much trial-and-error. Without such a discussion means, such as this C-Brat site, an individual owner's knowledge of these problems and their solutions would be much more limited, because some, if not most of us, are widely spaced apart, and out enjoyment of our prized C-Dorys much more constrained without this shared knowledge and friendship.

Thanks for your comments, and I hope this is helpful to all. Joe.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
I assume you're you talking about the foam simply loosing its resiliency long before its apparent breakdown where you can see the foam disintegrating. I'll have to check that out on my cushions, although I'm not sure what to compare it to since all of the samples I have are the same age and any new foam material might not be the same composition. I haven't noticed any softness or changes, but if it's subtle, how do you know?

Yep. To my knowledge there are at least three grades of foam used for upholstery and I was told the stiffest foam is used for RV seats, typically dinette seating. Probably the same with C-Dorys. We have a great supply house nearby called "UFO" Upholstery Factory Outlet and I can only tell you that the comfort index is amazing compared to "tired" foam. Most RV seat cushions have zippers, so it's just a matter of unzipping, trading foam, and instant relief. I can't remember if the new C-Dory covers have zippers.

The cushion covers we saw on the new '04's at the dealership appeared to be sunbrella canvas, same as a sunbrella cover, and we liked that feature, actually. Easy to replace, easy to keep clean, and tough up to but not including a forgotten screwdriver in yer back pocket. (BTDT)
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the seats,

I have a 1983 Angler. My wife had the seats in the Dinette and Berths redone as a Birthday Present. As for the Helm Seat. They can be found in any Boating Catalogue, like BoatUS, West Marine Etc.

The one thing I like about my seat. When in is folded down, it make for a good counter top for my future galley.

Fred Heap
Man From Nantucket

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the factory decking in the cockpit! What I have is dri-deck and have put grey indoor-outdoor carpeting over that. It works fine and dries out OK after it gets wet for whatever reason. My boat is somewhat nose heavy for some reason and water in the cockpit runs through the drain hole into the cabin and all the way to the front. This despite twin Honda 45's and full gas tanks. Have "solved" it by putting a rubber plug in the hole at the centerline cabin door. I don't have a bilge pump there like some folks have, wish I did.

My pump is an Rule pump in the depression at the stern and stays on automatic all the time. Have had no problem with it draining the two batteries, it's directly connected so even if I turn them off, it gets juice.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: