The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TYPE IV PFD Mounting Location - 25' Cruiser - Suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: TYPE IV PFD Mounting Location - 25' Cruiser - Suggestions? Reply with quote

I'd prefer to see some pictures. If anyone has any pictures posted on locations (it doesn't have to be a 25' Cruiser), I'd greatly appreicate it. I have a 30" Orange w/ Reflective Tape and I want to mount it. Just need to decide on the right placement on the boat.

Thanks very much!
Norm

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My throw ring is mounted just under the head window in the cockpit.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
eNORMous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: TYPE IV PFD Mounting Location - 25' Cruiser - Suggestions? Reply with quote

I saw another C-Dory on here months ago with the same mount location but can't find that picture (albeit, my request for others suggestions, as well).

I think that would be an ideal location for the TYPE IV PFD, but then again I'm just questioning my decision before committing to it, since I plan to secure a SS #304 Ring Buoy mount for the TYPE IV PFD and just thinking of the location where folks get on/off the boat via starboard side, I want to just rethink my thoughts.

I assume you're pretty happy w/ that location?

Did you use a SS Ring Buoy Mount or otherwise?

Thanks man!
Norm
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend a Lifesling over a circular life ring. Multiple studies and use show that the Lifesling is superior in saving lives. The Life sling has both a soft and hard mount--the soft mount can be put on railings.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm:
Ours is also in the cockpit under the "head" window. It does not get in the way of people entering or exiting from the starboard side.

mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We mounted our in the aft of the cabin. You can see it under ShiRoz page 15?
eNORMous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: TYPE IV PFD Mounting Location - 25' Cruiser - Suggestions? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. It was mmitchel (Shiroz) where I had seen the picture previously. Darn fine boat BTW!

Bob, I'd be very tempted to employ your suggestion if I hadn't already invested in the Ring Buoy. That isn't to say I make my choices based upon cost when it comes to safety - that isn't the case. I might consider adding another Lifesling moving forward. I agree, they are superior to saving lives - I had looked into them when deciding on which type to purchase. Right now, since I'm not living on the water, venturing into turbulent breaking water, or in extremely frigid waters on a daily or regular basis - primarily very simple recreational cruising and fishing off the Atlantic and the Sounds of North Carolina - I'm going to remain with my current TYPE IV Ring Buoy and consider the Lifesling as an additional upgrade.

Thanks again folks!
Norm
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm, I am not beating up your safety ring. But I have spent a lot of time racing offshore, dealing with safety at sea, and talking at seminars about person overboard. First is to stay on the boat. (safety harness and precautions). Second is to be sure that you have some floatation device on. Third is to locate the person in the water. Fourth is to get a device to that person, and bring the device and person to the boat. Fifth is to get the person aboard the boat. We have not talked about this for a year or so. But it is so important. Even in the waters where you boat--and even in the Gulf of Mexico, hypothermia and exhaustion set in very rapidly. It is not just getting a flotation to a person, but it is getting that person back aboard.

We had the pleasure of spending several days with the inventor of the Life sling (an Admirality Law Attorney, who has given away all of his profits from the device) and it was developed because of the weaknesses other retieval systems. There are a number of testimonies--and I have been on pannels on safety where people have had their lives saved by the use of a life sling. There have been many lives lost because the crew could not get a person back aboard.

U S sailing, along with West Marine and a number of other sponsers puts on a symposium (on the water testing really) every few years. The most recent one was in 2005: http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/COB.pdf
This should be manditory reading for all boaters!

The report was authored by John Rousmaniere, famed for his heavy weather sailing works. The traditional life ring is not even mentioned or considered as a life saving device in this most recent study. There are some new devices which have not yet been studied--mostly in the alert of person overboard, or location of POB.

You don't have to be boating in frigid or turbulant waters. I have seen several deaths in S. Calif. in calm waters, where the crew of a small boat could not get the person aboard and they died. We have them on an almost regular basis in Florida in the Gulf. In the severe conditions you better be wearing a survival suit!

The problem is that most of us boat with a husband and wife team--the smallest must be able to get the largest of us aboard. Marie and I have practiced (with wet suits--which gives some advantage to the person in the water, with increased flotation)--with various devices. Our conclusion is that the life sling gives us the best chance. Yes, there are talks of using a ladder, of using the motor, tilt etc. But you still have to connect to the person--and it is often in more difficult conditions that you have a person overboard. We have the advantage of the Garhauer davits on both of our boats--but other block and tackles can be made up to bring a person out of the water, using the hand railings of the C Dory's cabin top.

I bet that new ring would be a great decoration (I know it fills the requirement, but so does a cushion)--and in the long run you would be safer with a device which allows you to connect as well as lift. The life sling is not the only device--there are inflatable collars, as well as MOB packs. For ocean racing. Thru the years the requirements for MOB gear has changed--but this has been intensively studied since 1980 by USYRU--the predicessor to U S sailing.

Cost of a life sling? In the West Marine Catalogue about $10 more than the 30" bouy.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took your advice Bob...good choice Very Happy
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Antibody&id=CIMG0567&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I hope that none of us ever have to use one of these.

I will share a couple of my other safety thoughts. We keep ACR strobe light/flashlight combo's and water proof whistles by the cabin door, and put them on the inflatable life vest safety harnesses we wear if it is rough or we have to go on deck in rough weather. We also keep a Buck sheath knife by the door for emergencies. One of the three fire extinguishers are also there. In case of emergency we can grab all of these on the way out of the door.

We always carried EPRIB's on our larger boats and when offshore racing. But in thinking about the potential dangers of both health and boating emergencies we acquired Personal Locator Beacons (406 mhz EPRIB) which were GPS enabled. These do require manual deployment, and have to be held so the antenna is clear of the water, plus only have a 24 hour battery life, vs the potential self deployment, larger bulk and the 48 hour battery life of the traditional EPRIB. We also acquired 2 additional waterproof hand held VHF radios. We carry an additional water proof VHF which can use AA batteries, in our small waterproof ditch bag, along with a GPS, flares, small firstaid kit and some basic tools. This bag goes with us with us in the dinghy.

Some of my thought formulation for these safety precautions were brought about by the sinking of a new Carolina Classic in Feb of 2006 in Pamlico Sound NC--where the boat went down very rapidly and the professinal delivary skippers couldn't take either an EPRIB or VHF radios with them when they left the boat. They subsiquently died--hypothermia/drowning. About the same time there was a similar incident in the San Pablo bay area--where a person was in a small boat without communciation. The EPRIB will bring help, even if you cannot get cell phone or radio contact. Of course you have to balance the cost (EPRIB is aboout $500 - Radio is $100 to $150 - strobe about $35--Whistle $5--Knife $35) against if you would ever have to use them--or if they would save your life. Again, items you hope that you never have to use....
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I strongly recommend a Lifesling over a circular life ring. Multiple studies and use show that the Lifesling is superior in saving lives. The Life sling has both a soft and hard mount--the soft mount can be put on railings.

I checked this out and really like the design... one thing that caught my eye, though, is West Marine seems to have it listed as a Type V??? Is that correct, or an error on their part?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lifesling--lifesling2-overboard-rescue-system--357634?recordNum=15

My understanding is it's required to have a Type IV on board and now I'm confused (which is pretty easy these days, I'm riding a steep learning curve).

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defender states:

Quote:
Lifesling2 Man Overboard Rescue System
Includes Flotation Collar, Floating Retrieval Line and Storage Bag
Color: Yellow Collar & Line with White Storage Bag, Line Length: 125 ft.
USCG Approved Type V PFD Substitutes as Type IV Throwable Device

US sailing:

Quote:
Meets ISAF OSR and is USCG approved (Type V which substitutes for a Type IV). 3. The LIFESLING 3 with 21 lbs of buoyancy, equipped with 150 feet of retrieval line for larger boats, stainless steel D-rings, SOLAS reflecting tape,

From the Lifesling web site:
Quote:
Approval Limitations
This Type V device is designed and tested to the same standard as a Type IV Throwable Device except for the throwing requirement. Because it is designed to be a part of a sys- tem for recovering persons overboard, it has the approval limitation that it can only sub- stitute for a Type IV PFD with the following restrictions:
• Sailboats must be greater than 20' in length
• Power vessels must have an attachment point at least 10' above deck
• Lifesling3 must be used in accordance with the owner’s manual provided
Meaning of Special Approval
Special approvals are granted by the U.S. Coast Guard for PFDs which do not meet the requirements for approval under Type I through IV categories but which offer other sig- nificant safety features. This device permits a single person to recover another person who has fallen overboard.
This device is part of the Lifesling Overboard Rescue System. Practical knowledge of the system’s use is essential before an emergency requires its use.
Model 7296932
• Provide Flotation • Make Contact
• Hoist Aboard
This Owner’s Manual must be maintained on board the vessel carrying Lifesling3.
USCG Approval No. 160.050/152/1 (Commercial/Recreational)

Overboard Rescue System for Commercial and Recreational Vessels
Owner’s Manual

It is my understanding that a Lifesling will count as the type IV device. But I always have a buoyant cushion aboard. Our current boat came with a ring buoy and one of the throw rescue bags. Also there is an inflatable life sling which can be thrown. We don't have a life sling at this time. But we do have the davit, and although it is only "rated" for 150#, I am willing to stake my life on it living my 180#. I try and always have a buoyant cushion in the dinghy as well as our wearing our inflatable vests.

When I have been CG inspected I have pointed out the life sling and horse shoe buoys (larger offshore boats) For the yearly inspection I show the buoyant. cushion.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for taking the time and detail to explain that to me!
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Ring buoy location. Reply with quote

Mount in cockpit where can be reached by anyone anytime even at a dock
All persons aboard our boats are required to wear life jackets. Sats. Say most drowning are people without life jackets on.

Particular for us older folks that muscle skills and swimming ability may not be up to the old days.

Life jackets saved my friends and my life in canoeing accident years ago.
Also water temp was ice cold

Not required at anchor as assuming not alone someone

We also wear our motor vehicle seatbelts since 1964. Saved being thrown
From vehicle in two roll
Overs due to ice on roads.

Living in WY the state with lowest participation of seat belt wearings about one a winter in a ice related rollover someone is thrown from vehicle and
Killed or seriously hurt.

Back in 1960’s when most motorcycle helmets laws repealed because of “personal rights” we still wore ours. Does this personal rights sound familiar?

Well off topic but about safety. Being alive is dangerous so the goal is mimize
Risk and BR SAFE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: